Ships on the rivers

djm_jm

Warlord
I think it would be very interesting, why in the real life happened navy battles out the ocean. Could too, "caravan ships" on the rivers substitute the "static commerce" created by some city constructions, that give bonuses per turn.

What you see about this?

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas and Suggestions.

On the map scale of civ5-6, rivers can work only as "lines" between tiles.

Map scale has nothing to do with it. Civ I and Civ II had rivers running through the middle of the tiles. In Civ II you even had faster movement if you were traveling along a river. It's not that the rivers could only have been between the tiles in the later games, it's just that that's the way they decided to do it. They could have switched back to having rivers run through the tiles if they had wanted to. Heck, they could make two different types of rivers, with larger, "Navigable Rivers" running through the tiles and smaller, regular Rivers running between them if they wanted to.

Would melee land units be able to attack ships on rivers? And could melee ships attack land units on river tiles? Those are big changes, so I wonder how they'd affect combat.

The "scramble for Africa" scenario had a mechanic for belgiumese (haha, flemish?) soldiers to move at double speed alongside a river as if it was open terrain. It was a great, simple, really intuitive feature.

I think that the "marine" upgrade should let units move down rivers in the same way.

Would melee land units be able to attack ships on rivers? And could melee ships attack land units on river tiles? Those are big changes, so I wonder how they'd affect combat.

I don't think that melee ships attack terrain melee units on the rivers. I see the combat must be equals on the ocean (only terrain ranged units can attack ships), this don't makes much changes in combat.

The "scramble for Africa" scenario had a mechanic for belgiumese (haha, flemish?) soldiers to move at double speed alongside a river as if it was open terrain. It was a great, simple, really intuitive feature.

I think that the "marine" upgrade should let units move down rivers in the same way.

Yes, but it is only a "simulation", is not a "native recourse" of the game. My topic is about the native support for ships on the rivers. I played Civilization II, III, IV and V, and sincerely, not remember nothing equals in the games.

So make rivers long skinny lake tiles and create a line of ships that navigate fresh water passages?

Think the best way to handle rivers is to make them have the quality of roads for people who have researched fishing or optics

Top Bottom