1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Shock and Awe! Scandinavia the Most Heavily Armed Region in Western Europe

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Håkan Eriksson, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Håkan Eriksson

Håkan Eriksson Commander of the Swedes.

I heard about this studdie today... I'm pretty suprised...

2. Ohwell

Ohwell Chieftain

Doesn't Switzerland have a huge defense force for its size?

3. Greadius

Greadius :yeah:

Woo! We're #1! [dance]

4. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

The whole male population from 18 to about 45 I think. They go the army camps every Summer and keep the weapon at home during the rest of the year if I'm not mistaken.

5. Yago

Yago came undone

Yes, you are not mistaken. Hm, maybe they deemed Switzerland too small for the survey ?

6. Smaasnekje

Smaasnekje Should be medicated...

It's mostly hunting guns in Norway... A friend of mine got four doublebarreled shotguns at home, my uncle has a few hunting rifles, the father of another friend of mine has a rifle,my last teacher has a few, my grandfather has three..
    Hunting has allways been a big sport in Norway, and It probobly is i both Sweden and Finland since there's a lot of Elk's and deers in the forests of scandi... Deers annoying for us that live on the country, as they only come to eat the plants in our garden outside hunting season...

7. Yago

Yago came undone

Yeah, hunting, that's it. Norway, Finland and Sweden, I gather from the map, have huge landscapes where hunting is possible. Switzerland hasn't that luxus, so densly populated and small.

8. Dr. Dr. Doktor

Dr. Dr. Doktor Chieftain

That reminds me.
    Does Sweden, Norway and Finland have any trouble with those 'Hells Angels' or other sordid groups. Those guys are definately heavily armed, and in my opinion represents a danger to democracy. I never could figure out why they were not dismantled by the police. Maybe they are in collusion.

9. Kentonio

Kentonio Monkey Lord of Civ III

Switzerland probably isnt represented because they arent in the EU (IIRC). Its an EU survey.

10. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

Scandinavia is in Western Europe? I've always thought it's in Northern Europe... :)

11. Azale

Azale Chieftain

One more thing i can use against Finnmaster ;)

12. Thadlerian

Thadlerian Dreamin' of a RED X-mas!

Don't listen to him! We use them all to kill each other!

13. Kinniken

Kinniken Riding with William

They are not in the EU, but neither is Norway.

In any case, I suppose France's high "score" is mainly due to hunting... With a population density only half that of the UK and a greater percentage of people living in the countryside, hunting is very popular here.
    Most countryside dwellers have a gun, at least for rabbit/bird hunting.

14. Smaasnekje

Yes we have Hells Angels and their arch enemy Bandidos in (at least) Norway, but we havent heared about any problems with them in this millenium.. But there was a lot of fuzzz in the 1990's

It's actually in North Western Europe ;)

Come on! We are a civilized Nation... It's only those guys in HV that kill anyone with them...

15. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

As Smaasnekje said, I think that most of those who have guns at home, have not just one but a few, so the guns aren't equally spread out. Maybe they should have checked how many out of 100 owned a gun or more too...

Sometimes it's still on the news that they've captured a member of bandidos or Hell's Angels, or that they've been convicted. Usually for drugs or murder.

16. Mikoyan

Mikoyan Digimortal

Lots of guns used by mobsters in the big cities, too. They caught one guy the last week who had an entire arsenal of weapons, including AK-47's, MP5's and Frag grenades for 'protection'. :ack:

17. Hurricane

Hurricane Sleeping Dragon

Agreed, the numbers get skewed because most hunters have several guns. Also, like the report noted, gun registration is also the highest in Scandinavia. So the "grey" number is much smaller there than in other countries.

18. Vrylakas

Vrylakas The Verbose Lord

XIII wrote:

Scandinavia is in Western Europe? I've always thought it's in Northern Europe...

I was wondering the same thing.

Smaasnekje wrote:

It's actually in North Western Europe

Stockholm is east of Prague, Zagreb and Ljubljana, nearly on the same longitude as Bratislava and is only slightly west of Warsaw. Are we Western European now too? :D

19. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Maybe Western Europe could mean the European countries part of the Western world. I might be alone, but I'd e.g. call Australia and New Zeeland part of the western world even if it's on the same longitude as China, which definitely is in east from a European view.

My point is that they could've meant the political Western Europe (if there's such a thing?), and not the geographical one.

20. Smaasnekje

My meaning is that we can call Scandinavia North Western Europe because there arent any countries in Europe in north wich are more to the west, if you understand what I'm saying...