1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shogun Upgrade

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Hubie, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Hubie

Hubie Chieftain

Hey,

I cant seem to upgrate my shogun-1 in the Japan conquest, to anything higher. I've already completed the first tech tree and still no upgrate option when I go to a city which has barracks in it. Please Help.

Hubie

2. gamemoth

gamemoth Chieftain

need leonardo's workshop

3. andvruss

andvruss Deity

Do you have the resources (if there are any) required to upgrade?

4. Hubie

Hubie Chieftain

In the Japanese Conquest you cant build Leonardo's workshop, I already have sojutso which means my daimyo should be a shougun-4.

Hubie

5. Hubie

Hubie Chieftain

I thought about the resources too, but It does'nt seem like you need any resources to upgrade.

6. Hubie

Hubie Chieftain

I says I need 50 shield in the civlopedia to upgrade. Where do I tell how many shields I have, or is that just the number of shields it will cost that one city to upgrate the shogun?

7. Master_Debater

Master_Debater Chieftain

It's all about the $$$.

8. Qitai

Qitai .

Yea, $$$ . You need $$$ to upgrade.

9. Hubie

Hubie Chieftain

I thought it could be the $$$ considering I only have 50 gold but then the question becomes how much do I need?

Hubie

10. Hubie

Hubie Chieftain

Success!! 200 gold is required! Thanks for all your help!

Hubie

11. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

i'm guessing the problem is your capital didn't have a barracks

12. Craterus22

Craterus22 King

Thanks so much for the info - will now retry that scenerio...

Goodness - they should really put the amount of gold required in the description - if its there I missed it.

13. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

ok, ok, this may be a dumb question, but could someone please humor me?

upgrading your "shogun" to level 1,2,3, etc...

what is the point exactly??

i mean you don't have your "shogun" or leader ever go out to battle (hence risking defeat = end of the game)

so what is the benefits of upgrading the shogun?

am i doing something wrong, but i have my shogun sitting at my capital upgrading, but should he be out there fighting?

thanks all

14. Lich Lord

Lich Lord Chieftain

From before, I'm PRETTY sure you need a iron. Could be wrong

For last question. Hey. His defense goes up to *shrugs* I'd had armies of Samurai and Musketmen attack a capital and take out defenders with easy, to take heavy looses to the shogon who, at level 1, would not have been any kind of a match for them.

15. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

You're doing multiple upgrades: your guy is still a shogun-1, so you have to upgrade to shogun-2, shogun-3 and then shogun-4, hence why it costs more.

@agoodfella: The point is to keep the your leader on par with the available units. The 1/1 shogun-1 doesn't have a chance against the best unit at the end of the tech tree (it's 10/8 I think), but if you've upgraded to the highest shogun by then he's 11/11, so it takes a little more to pring him down.

16. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

anyone else?? thanks

17. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

I like to fight with my daimyo (not cities, loose units). Getting enslaved samurai is nice 7-7-1. And later on you get the stealth-attack; you choose what unit you are attacking. And it fights barbs fairly well. I know it is risky, but if handled well it works fine.

Just one (unrelated comment). I had my Daimyou in a captured city and it flipped back: end of game. Do I need to express how pissed off I was ?

18. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

With the Daimyo having the strongest attack in the game it's actually a pretty useful unit to have in an army. I hate the Damiyo and 2 Arliquebuster's (or 3, can't remember). Anyway it was a rather powerful army. Being able to have a 33% chance of an enslaved samurai each attack... I was unstoppable. :p

Anyway, it is quite useful upgrading to have a unstoppable attacking army. But not only that - the AI may not do it that often but as the King units are quite vunerable against the Ninja's it pays to upgrade them so they can withstand ninja attacks.

19. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

Two comments, as I haven't played this one yet:
    @Rik-Lost Daimyo to a culture flip!!! That might have cost me a new monitor ;)

@Black Waltz-I never thought about adding him to an army, I guess that's a good way to use him and keep him safer. Does the enslave work if he is in an army with non-enslave units? I thought all units had to have the ability to use it. I may have to try that out.

20. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

It definitly does work. As long as it is the Damiyo that is attacking (which should be the case since he has the highest attack of the game).