1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

2. Josu

Josu King

Why would you want to see a bear in bikini?

3. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

No reason... :mischief:

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I bought a new phone basically against my own wishes. My old phone had massive amounts of burn-in/ghosting on the screen that I was willing to put up with. It also had smudges under the glass for both the front and back cameras that made it mostly useless for picture taking but I was willing to put with that as well. Then it started turning itself off while I was using it, which sucked but again I was willing to put up with it. Finally it started turning itself off while it was charging overnight and since my morning alarm is my phone, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and I got a new one. Literally the only thing I was looking forward to about the new phone is that I found an awesome phone case for it that has storage for ID and cards so I don't need to carry around a wallet anymore.

We also bought a new couch sooner than I really wanted to. Three years ago we got rid of our hand-me-down couch in favor of these two couch squares. They're very low to the ground and don't have backing or armrests - they're literally just padded squares you can push together and lay on with big pillows. We liked them a lot but the frame around the edge of the square is not padded such that when you lay on them, you have the frame digging into your back and legs. We've put up with it for years and then all of a sudden we had enough and replaced them.

I also bought a new reclining rocking chair but this one was actually overdo. My current one is a decade old and all ripped up with the padding collapsed and tons of stains. Unfortunately the couch and chair are not going to arrive for another couple of months but it's something to look forward too at least.

Hygro and Birdjaguar like this.
  5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

What did you get @hobbsyoyo ? I bought an iPhone SE recently and it's a great small (relatively) phone.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. cardgame

I hope they keep making google pixels for when I need to replace mine because I'm absolutely in love with it

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Another Samsung mostly because they make it pretty easy to transfer information between old and new phones. But I think this may be the last flagship phone I buy; it's really nice but I if I had not been in a rush to replace it I think I would have done some research on 'good enough' cheaper phones and dealt with the headache of switching over to another brand.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Pffft! You should have gotten a real portable phone!

tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Bad choice, no video!

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Darsnan

Darsnan King

Now that New York State has opened the state parks again I purchased myself six 3 day camping trips, spaced out into the Fall timeframe. Oh and I got myself a flyswatter, cuz I'm gonna need it for the June and July camping trips...

D

11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

From this week's Steam sale:c5gold::
    Submerged: In a non-combative, post-apocalyptic world, a teenage girl seeks aid for her injured/ill younger brother in an abandoned, half submerged city.
    Home Design 3d for use in my pending story about a master burglar.
    Age of Wonder - high fantasy war

12. Samson

Samson Deity

Are we allowed to talk about things we are thinking of buying? The car auctions here are just starting up, and I have to suspect that there is some surplus in the used car industry at the moment, and so it is a buyers market. Particularly in the old luxury car sector. I am thinking about putting in some cheeky low bids on the cars below. But there are some downsides;
    • The auction house is about 45 minutes drive away, so 1-30 hours driving and all the costs of that each time I go.
    • All bids from non-trade have to be submitted in advance
    • There is no way of non-trade people knowing how much a car sold for, without actually buying it
    • If your bid wins the auction you have bought the car (obviously)
    So I could spend loads of time and petrol going there, and always be miles from winning any. Or I could submit a few lowball offers and win them all and end up with too many cars. I think I can live with both though, but I am not sure. Any advice very welcome.
    • BMW 550I SE TOURING A - 4799cc
      • Registered 21 September 2007
      • Odometer 82981 miles
      • webuyanycar price £3,685
      • My bid ~ £1275
    • JAGUAR XJ SPORT PREMIUM TDVI A - 2720cc
      • Registered 29 September 2006
      • Odometer 168000 miles
      • webuyanycar price £1,700
      • My bid ~ £675
    • BMW Z3 - 1895cc
      • Registered 21 May 1998
      • Odometer 98054 miles
      • webuyanycar price £150
      • My bid ~£75 I guess, but I will end up paying 2-3 times that with all the fees I expect
    webuyanycar is a service in the uk that will give a price an any car, and then you get to the centre and they offer a fraction of that price because of tiny scratches etc. It currently gives exactly what I paid for my current car (£300).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Cutlass and Birdjaguar like this.
  13. cardgame

your used car market is insanely cheap. even for luxury cars.

do these auctions come with any sort of warranty? Buying used luxury cars is usually the worst decision you can make, at least in the US and/or buying "as is"

14. Samson

Samson Deity

No warranty. I have bought approximately 15 over 15 years there, mostly under £300, and only one was really broken.

It is not even luxury cars, it is especially. People who can afford to spend the fuel costs of a 5 litre petrol car are not going to want to drive a 13 year old car that is likely to break soon. I think most of the value in it is the expectation of these being a classic car, and who is going to buy that in a pandemic?

Also note I have no idea what these cars are actually going for. The only people who allowed into the hall ATM are dealers who spend a lot of money there.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Cutlass likes this.
  15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I’ve made a bunch of purchases that are about ten years overdo. Studio monitors on eBay at about 40% the cost. We tested them out and they sound soooo good and clean. I bought some cables and stands, but the stands are sold out so I’m waiting on those. I bought a replacement mic and audio interface, my old ones having disappeared suspiciously a while back. The audio interface is also on backorder. I got a new midi keyboard, with pads and knobs galore. It’s a small one for my small space.

I have 3 more plugins to buy: a kick drum designer, a complicated distortion plugin, and a new software synthesizer.

I won’t “need” anything else for a while after that, (not that that will stop me!) but I will say after following the advice of dozens of random amateurs saying you don’t need good gear just learn what you have, I have woken up to prioritizing good tools.

I’m thinking of getting one.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Also a harddrive enclosure and a Bible.

18. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

On the Steam Summer Sale I got Skyrim: Special Edition and Fallout 4 in a bundle cheaper than individually. I also got an extra 5 dollars off because of the sale.

hobbsyoyo and Ajidica like this.
  19. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Beer. 30 pack.

20. Birdjaguar

Talk to @yung.carl.jung about the best mods to use.