1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I found a book I wanted on the Book Depository very cheap compared to the Amazon prices. I looked the site up and it seemed legit. So I ordered the book.

I hope I didn't get ripped off.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

It's a reliable site, if a bit slow for delivery (it's easy to get spoiled when you have a Prime membership). But a lot of mail order is slow for books these days. I've ordered from this company for years, both on their site and via Amazon Marketplace. There are a couple of Carl Sagan books I'm considering getting from them since they're cheaper than Amazon. But it's the condition that matters more; I'm willing to pay a few dollars more for a book in better condition.

3. aimeeandbeatles

The book I wanted was $80 on Amazon (not including shipping) and $14 on the Book Depository. :eek: I had just cashed out my surveys to paypal so I was able to afford it. :thumbsup: The book had been on my wishlist (which is just a bookmarks folder full of goodreads links) for years too.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Some of Amazon's prices are insane. I read that they have some weird algorithm that basically picks a number out of thin air and that's the price. That's why the same item can be $15 in one listing and $200 in another. Suffice to say, I am not paying $200 for a toaster cover.

My most recent purchase: One of the Cadfael murder mystery novels, on Kindle. Amazon has had several of them on sale lately, for $1.99 CAD.

5. aimeeandbeatles

"Amazon’s $23,698,655.93 book about flies" explains it quite well.

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Instead of buying video games, I renewed my subscription to the Chicago Manual of Style, like an adult. Disgusting.

hobbsyoyo, Birdjaguar and tjs282 like this.
  7. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Super Moderator

I am so disappointed in you.

Synsensa likes this.
  8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Does this mean you're finally becoming stylish?

9. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Tools, quite a lot the theory being that due to corona restrictions I have more free time and a house & stuff in need of renovation. It's almost too easy just to click & start waiting for the delivery so one gets also stuff not desperately needed but unboxing works as a hobby these days I guess. So far I can safely say that the buying part is usually the most fun & surely the easiest.

Cutlass likes this.
  10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Have you tried AbeBooks? They appear to be available in Canada.

11. aimeeandbeatles

The book was not available on AbeBooks.

Cutlass likes this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

But he will learn to improve how to express his feelings with punctuation. :)

tjs282 likes this.
  13. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

My laptop edges closer to dying. I'll probably replace it next week. :twitch:

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I broke down and finally bought Milwaukee's heavy duty battery powered impact gun. Cost over $200 and I had to spend more than $100 on a battery and charger. I have Makita tools but I wanted a portable impact wrench with the power to dismantle tractor and truck fasteners, especially rusted suspension bolts. I could have gone with Makita's most powerful gun but this Milwaukee's a beast and now I can access their line of tools. What the hell, its only money.

Cutlass and Birdjaguar like this.
  15. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I don't normally buy much for myself, but I blew about half of my fortnightly pension on a new Tshirt, a 32inch monitor, Civ NFP and my prescription ADHD meds.
    Threatening to lock us down again? Yes, please!
    myshoppingspree.jpg

hobbsyoyo, Cutlass, AdamCrock and 2 others like this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I mentioned I was having issues finding bikes for sale and I think it was @yung.carl.jung who suggested I go on e-bay for one. Well whoever it was that suggested it, thank you! They did indeed have new bikes and they didn't price gouge. It arrived in a box and I thought I'd have to put every single piece together but all I had to do was attach the front wheel, handlebars and seat, easy peesy. I did take it to a shop to have them adjust the brakes and shifter and to ensure that I put it together correctly. We are planning a big bike trip and I wanted a professional to work on it beforehand to avoid stranding my wife in the middle of nowhere.

I also had to replace the rear tire on my bike. :-( Is that normal for only two years of heavy use? I think it's just because I'm so fat, though I do ride 5-7 times a week for around 3-5 miles. The bike shop did not carry a tire in my bike's default size (it has fat beach cruiser tires) so I had to get a smaller one that doesn't match for the upcoming trip. I may replace it with a matching one but I'll probably just leave it until I wear it out. My bike shop exclusively caters to expensive road bike riders so they only carry high-end road bike and mountain bike gear and parts which is frustrating. I'd go somewhere else but this is the only place in easy walking/riding distance and I can't fit our bikes in our car.

yung.carl.jung, Birdjaguar and tjs282 like this.
  17. aimeeandbeatles

:D

tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

19. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:eek2: I went looking for Truman Capote's celebrated "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and found it for ~$100. :faint:

20. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Got Total War: Warhammer II and My Time at Portia.

Also got three new pairs of pants, two new shirts, and new body wash.

And an exfoliating scrub and a daily face cream.

cardgame likes this.