Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

I bought a second duvet, the same kind that I already have.. also a 2nd set of duvet & pillow covers.. So now in the winter I sleep under 2 comfy duvets and in the summer I will sleep under 1. Plus when one gets dirty in the summer I can flip to the 2nd one, etc.

I also bought a coffee machine & filters. GOODBYE INSTANT COFFEE, hello takes-some-time coffee

Got ourselves an exercise bike on pre-order for March. Need to do a bit of house organisation to fit it somewhere practical, and is usual with the things bought for us it needs building (by me :D). Put it on finance because boy howdy I didn't realise how they cost. But the lack of exercise is becoming a real kicker and I'm lucky enough to have stable employment.

Groceries today; Maddy should appreciate that I included some treats for her. Now if she would just keep out of my treats (she got into the butter tarts last time, before I'd had a chance to even try them).

Which websites do you use to find the bookstores? I found some cool indie type used book stores online, but from what i remember shipping to canada usually didn't make it worth my time.
There's also Book Depository and check out Amazon Marketplace. If you go there, I recommend paying careful attention to the % of satisfied customers; anything less than 90% is iffy (indicates they've had a lot of problems). You pay in Canadian funds, shipping is usually reasonable, and my other recommendation is to only consider books that are listed in Good, Very Good, Very Good Like New, or New condition.

If you buy from a Canadian seller you'll have to pay GST (and possibly whatever the provincial sales tax is in Ontario). If you buy from an American or UK seller, you won't have to pay GST (shipping time will be longer, though, and some European sellers won't ship to Canada during the pandemic).

There's a nice independent book store in Edmonton, called Audreys. I was there in person once, almost 40 years ago, and later bought one of my Classical History textbooks from them (back when COD deliveries were a thing; I couldn't get it locally). I don't remember if it was Tacitus or Suetonius I bought.

Anyway, I sent an email to ask if they do mail order outside of Edmonton (saw a couple of intriguing items on the website). Hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow.

Baby shampoo to clean the cloth top of my baby.

Got around to cashing my annual bonus from work; felt rich enough to pick up Babylon 5's complete DVD set.

New shower. Took some time installing the whole thing but was really nice to get done.

New freezer. Very nice as I definitely needed some more freezer space.

Got a coffee machine that uses those coffee pads. Goodbye unsatisfactory instant coffee!

I have less than a month to decide, but I am thinking about buying a small bit of a field.

Last edited:
How much is a "small bit of of a field"? Does it have access to any utilities? Is it next to a noisy highway? Any neighbors? Any trees? Could you plant a privacy hedge or build a fence around it? Do airplanes fly over it frequently? :)

How much is a "small bit of of a field"? Does it have access to any utilities? Is it next to a noisy highway? Any neighbors? Any trees? Could you plant a privacy hedge or build a fence around it? Do airplanes fly over it frequently? :)
3/4's of an acre. No utilities. Next to a small village road, I do not think it is busy. It is kind of in the middle of a really spread out village, no close neighbors but there are houses within about 150 yards. It has no trees on it. I expect I will have to build a fence. I do not see airplanes being a problem.

The critical points are that it is ~30 mins on the train into central london, and has no planning permission so I would not actually be allowed to live on it. I expect I will be able to get away with a van now and again, but I am far from sure.

Last edited:
Sounds nice. OH...wifi access nearby?

Sounds nice. OH...wifi access nearby?
Cell phone internet access will be the connectivity. That should work well. I am more worried about electricity, I expect I will be solar with a genny as backup.

I suspect if somebody objects you might have problems.
Travellers have been moved off land they purchased because it was classed as agricultural use.
It seems you are allowed to stay temporarily on any land for 28 days. If I was leaving the land most days to work, and when I left there was no living space on the land (because I have driven the van), then I am only temporarily on the land (possibly). I have thought about what sort of agriculture I would be into, I quite like sheep farming.

There is not a lot of point paying half your earnngs or more as dead money for rent.

Suggestions.

(1) Don't bother with a screen. It won't stop someone trashing your van if they are determined to do that.

(2) Be seen there with a spade, and plant a fruit tree or two instead as a screen.

(3) Let people guess. If necessary bore them about about soil types, sustainable food weather etc; that it is your allotment.

(4) If people note you are living there a lot, admit there is a problem with your main home, but be very vague about that.
They are unlikely to probe you, because as man, no one wants to risk hearing "I got repo'd" or "wife kicked me" out sob story.

(5) Keep yourself shaved or beard well groomed. Mustn't look like at all like stereotypical homeless.

I have thought about what sort of agriculture I would be into, I quite like sheep farming.
Free-range chickens are probably easier to raise than sheep (and would likely also require a lower initial investement, and be more eco-friendly). And maybe you could claim you were sleeping near them to protect them from foxes/poachers...?

Free-range chickens are probably easier to raise than sheep (and would likely also require a lower initial investement, and be more eco-friendly). And maybe you could claim you were sleeping near them to protect them from foxes/poachers...?
I have experience with sheep, but not chickens. An orchard as Edward suggests may be even easier.

Top Bottom