1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

2. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

@Synsensa how's your face cream working for you?

I've bought a lot lately. I got a new sewing kit, because my old one is junk and I have some buttons I need to fix. I bought a compact umbrella to keep in my car's glove box. I bought a foot bath basin and some lavender salts. I got a new shower caddy for my bathroom, my old one was looking very grungy. I bought some shirts for my baby brother.

I bought about $115 worth of groceries; I've really been getting into a lot more organics lately, and I got some new things to try.

I also bought a new game pack for the Sims 4, "Strangerville"

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Reminds me I need to buy a needle and thread to put a button back on my Hawaiian shirt

4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I bought a sewing awl kit a while back for making repair to various gear that can't be fixed with a regular needle and thread. But I've yet to get to try it out. Here's hoping something tears soon.

5. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Yup.
    Yup.
    Yup.

Snerk likes this.
  6. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

@Snerk , i use a pair of very long hard carbon fiber fins for spearfishing in deep water. The key is to use them in a different way to short soft fins. You must "push" instead "flap" them. Dont know if i explain myself. You can hurt your ankles/knees if do it incorrectly.

Snerk likes this.
  7. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

buying another chain saw, going with a small Stihl. Man I got so many trees to cut down :(

and something's up in the attic and it sounds big, must be a rat but could be a snake or even a possum

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

How big of a difference is there between the plastic and carbon ones?

9. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Free-diving fins are about going further with each kick, not faster. Basically, because of their length, your kick-motion needs to be realllllly slow, which minimises the leverage/stress on your knees/ankles. It also makes them somewhat more difficult to manoeuvre with.

This guy is kind of... I dunno, flouncy, but his info's good (watch the whole thing, or start at 4:20 for the finning tips and clips):

The bicyle-kick he talks about for horizontal, low-turbulence travel is sort of demonstrated here (although it's a little difficult to see, since the guy is filming himself):

Carbon fiber is stiffer than plastic, so carbon-fins 'feel' harder to fin with (especially if you try to kick too fast!). OTOH, less of your input energy is wasted to fin-collapse on the power-stroke, and you get more oomph on the rebound as well.

Snerk likes this.
  10. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

After much convincing from friends, I finally ordered my first pair of Birkenstocks.

11. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Carbon fiber is much more rigid. It gives more power to get deeper but are more difficult to use properly and can break if hit a rock.

tjs282 and Snerk like this.
  12. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Pffft! Iron boots are the way to go!
    Spoiler :

haroon likes this.
  13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I bought a toaster oven a couple of nights ago.

Nao ai can has toast! :D

tjs282 likes this.
  14. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I need to buy a mongoose, I have a snake in the attic... Found its shed skin today.

15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Do you know what kind it is likely to be? @Berzerker Black snakes are good, but I prefer them outside and not in the house.

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I thought about grabbing the old skin and asking a pro, but I figure its a black/constrictor/rat snake...and they are good. I should have at least looked to see if the skin had any rattles, I forgot. But I didn't hear any rattling and rattlers are not much for climbing into attics, they'd prefer under the house. We had a big black rat snake around here about 8-10 years ago and he could climb the wall and was in the process when we found him, probably close to 6 ft and thick. Big enough to be a problem for at least 1 of the cats, the small mommy of other 2 big kids.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. civvver

civvver Warlord

I got new flavorizer burner covers for my weber grill. Old ones had rusted through, though it took ~8 years so pretty happy.

18. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

A friend of mine recommended these vegan-friendly sandals from Zappos ... I ordered my own pair a couple days ago and they arrived today (cheers for Zappos shipping!) They are extremely comfortable :)

20190525_163940.jpg

shadowplay likes this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

MaryKB likes this.
  20. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

Yeah I know I was too impatient and I didn't let it settle enough so it got chipped a little :p I'll touch them up tomorrow.

Birdjaguar likes this.