1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Book of Mormon tickets. :D

2. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator Supporter

You'd be surprised how much you use it. My winter car has remote start. I wouldn't dream of not having it, and my climate isn't that cold.

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

What's your winter car?

Our winter climates probably aren't dramatically different. You a small amount cooler.

I have a very short commute to work. Like 5 minutes. Seriously. 7 minutes on a bad day. As long as I give it a minute to get the oil flowing, I'm not even in it long enough to worry about getting the heater and heated seats running.

That said, if I was less cheap, there are several accessories I would add to the car. But I'm not less cheap.

4. Lemon Merchant

An Audi A7. Like this one, except mine is red.

AA7_D_171023-min.jpg

Ajidica and Cutlass like this.
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

It's a three-stage sharpener. The first two stages have angled grinders and the third has criss-crossed ceramic bars that don't move. You can only use the third manual stage with serrated blades and it worked pretty good for everything I sharepend.

I'm not picking up a hobby or anything, I was just tired of dull knives because I cook a lot.

No that was for the hardcopy. I got Farside on digital download. But the wait list for the digital downloads can be that long - they only have so many licenses to lend the book and people take just as long to get through an audio book as a regular book.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I sense a fast driving woman theme. :mischief:

7. Lemon Merchant

I do have something of a lead foot, yes. :D

Cutlass likes this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

It's a big car for lemon woman. Hmmmm, or is it a lemon of a car for a merchant woman? Red confuses me with your lemon image.

9. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

That would have been the Volkswagen Rabbit my parents bought in the late 70's or early 80's. A lemon-yellow lemon car that came straight from the factory with 40 holes in the gas tank, door locks, door handles, foot pedals and exterior panels that kept falling off, a bottom that rusted through within the first month and the Volkswagen dealership at the time insisting that there was nothing wrong with the car. It lasted about a year before it completely fell apart.

cardgame, Cutlass and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

sounds like my last relationship

Snerk likes this.
  11. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

It was a 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit. Possibly the worst car my parents ever owned.

12. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I'm thinking I need to start looking at buying a new computer ... my current one I got I think in 2015, so it's a few years old and gives me lots of problems. I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for, except I feel rather certain I'd like to get a "Solid State Harddrive" this time. If anyone here who knows a lot about computer hardware has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful if you share .. such as like what brands for things I should look for and avoid, etc.

13. Birdjaguar

Go here to and find the level of computer you want to buy (dollars you want to spend) and it will tell you the components you need. Then have someone build it for you.

http://www.logicalincrements.com

I suggest you start at the "outstanding" level. They provide makes and models for all parts.

500 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD
    16 GB Ram
    i7 processor
    As much video power as you can afford

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    shadowplay likes this.
  14. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

i7 are a waste of money imo, if you're all about the gaming grab an i5, if you need the multicore capabilities of an i7 you're a lot cheaper off with Ryzen

Upgrading to an i7 from an i5 is the thing you should save for last when there is no other way to improve your pc first :)

15. Birdjaguar

For the gaming oriented an SSD, top quality video, RAM and a great monitor are key.

16. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Went grocery shopping and impulsively got some kiwis, best purchasing decision I have made in months, so delicious

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Green or yellow?

18. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

This website's really confusing for me ... please know my hardware knowledge is very limited. I know solid state is "good", but I've absolutely no idea why. I know I need RAM, but I don't know what all those other letters mean. I don't understand why graphics cards have RAM too, and I don't know what kind I shpuld get. I don't have a clue what an i5 or an i7 is, but I'd guess an i7 is a later model or something?

19. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

SSD have no moving parts, with a hard drive you have to wait until the needle is physically aligned with the disc, SSD is all electronic so everything can be accessed at the same speed, with basically zero bottleneck.

i7s have more cores than i5s, but this almost never matters because i5 still have enough cores for most people.

20. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

They have yellow???