1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

They do and they are delicious! Golden kiwis they're called, I believe.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. CKS

CKS Chieftain

The thing about LogicalIncrements is that you don't need to know anything about what they really are, you decide how much you want to spend, and they suggest the "best parts" to meet your budget and they make sure all the parts are compatible with each other. They really are gaming oriented, though.

Birdjaguar suggested starting at the "outstanding" level - I've never paid that much for a computer in my life. I suspect that "good" would be a significant upgrade over what I've got, but I don't exactly play demanding games (Civ3 is probably the most modern game I play). If I were replacing a computer only four years old, I'd be grumbling a lot about how short a time it lasted. I'm more on a 10-year schedule.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I've got them around the St Louis area though they are much rarer and I guess more seasonal than the green ones. They are indeed delicious.

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Went shopping today at the outlet mall near me because I noticed some of the clothes I regularly wear to work we’re starting to look a bit ratty. Ended up getting a couple shirts, pants, and a new pair of shoes. Would I have bought some of things at full price? Probably not. 60% off? Oh yes.

Not normally one for short sleeve button downs but I like this one. (Shirt is more vibrant in person.)
    Spoiler I'm too lazy to resize :
    7773D9CD-3DC2-4218-AD34-743D27BC0134.jpeg

Snerk, Cutlass, MaryKB and 3 others like this.
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Looking good dude!

Ajidica likes this.
  6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

10 years is a really long time!! 4 years is about my limit for not upgrading. My current was new in 2016 and I upgraded the video card last year. This year might be time for the CPU.

7. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Reading the posts here it seems to me that kiwis are much more unknown in USA than Spain. Here they are everywhere, green and golden, and relatively cheap. I suppose the kiwis sold in Spain are mostly Spanish, grown probably in Galicia.

8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

The US Federal Department of Agriculture does not allow domestic growers to produce kiwis which means they all have to be imported and are therefore more expensive than they would be if Hawaii or Califirnia grew them. In spite of that, green kiwis are not rare here at all; every grocer I've been to has them. Golden kiwis are pretty rare though.

Edit: This post was embarrassingly wrong

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Phrossack and cardgame like this.
  9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Do you know why this is?

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

That was completely wrong and I don't know where i picked that up.

Phrossack and Cutlass like this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

The pedals on my bike are falling apart so I ordered some metal ones. I also decided to get a noseless bicycle seat as I'm a fat dude and the nose on the bike seat really hurts my groin. I used to have a noseless seat and I tried to buy the same one I had in the past but they discontinued them and I had to buy a used one at a mark up. I was reading up on them and apparently there's a bit of research showing that traditional bike seats with noses causes all sorts of issues for men and women but noseless seats never sell very well because people are afraid that if they're seen with them or buying them that other people would assume they have erectile dysfunction. That had not occurred to me as a reason why the seats are not popular and it baffles me that people can have so little confidence that they'd rather risk giving themselves an issue downstairs to avoid looking like they have an issue downstairs. Bonkers.

12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Do you have proper biking shoes compatible with the pedals? I've not tried it myself but I hear it's a gamechanger.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Be careful with pedals. I had some all-metal ones that came with my bike, they were cheap crap and fell apart under my shoes within a matter of months. I have pedals now that are partly metal and partly some kind of hard rubber-like substance, they are a lot better-constructed than the previous ones.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

No and it wouldn't really be appropriate for me because I frequently stop and dismount while on my rides. I assume you're talking about the clip-in type of shoe/pedals. A long time ago I had a road bike with pedals like this and it's definitely great if you never stop on your rides. But there are little kids who have dreams that need crushing at all the pokestops on my route so I'm frequently stop-and-go on my rides.
    Hmm yeah that sucks. I didn't get the cheapest pedal I could find but I did get something that was relatively cheap as I am trying to cut spending. All metal ones hurt a lot worse when the pedal hits your leg in my experience but I'm so heavy that I demolish plastic and plastic-metal pedals within a couple of months at most. Hopefully these all-metal ones are not too cheap.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    tjs282 likes this.
  15. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

The type of construction is what matters, I think, more than the materials. The pedals I had were all-metal but they looked like this:

The screws holding the outer metal strip onto the "fork" failed quickly and the metal strips just fell off.

By contrast the new pedals I got (they were only $20 so not particularly expensive) have the "fork" stuck into the resin (the rubber-like substance appears to be resin), not screwed in, so it's much stronger construction and I've had them for about a month without any sign of trouble.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I made an appointment for tomorrow to get a TSA FastCheck pass, which will cost me $85 for five years. I'll need to get it for my DH also ... I want to be able to skip security lines, especially at Hartsfield-Jackson and O'Hare.

Cutlass and Birdjaguar like this.
  17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

New monitor arrived. Now i can use my crap tower again.
    This one had just the right mix of features, cheapness, quickest delivery and most of all, cheapness. Because i am cheap.
    If my old monitor was a person, it would be entering junior high school in September.
    https://www.viewsonic.com/us/va2055sa.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I ordered an Xbox one X to go with my new TV. Now I just need to upgrade my internet to start streaming 4k.

caketastydelish and hobbsyoyo like this.
  19. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I was out earlier, and I saw this, so I bought it because it makes me think of @Snerk.

20. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I keep meaning to do that, and never get around to it.