1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. civvver

civvver Warlord

I know that, I just find some of it dull. The actual runtimes of both movies are very similar but the original drags to me and I can't stand the kids in it. They seem very stiff.

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I was able to swap the seat on my bike but I need a specific wrench to swap out the pedals so I guess I'm buying a wrench. I re-bought a pair of sunglasses I lost and also went to Goodwill to shop for clothes. I'm in between sizes and even though my current outfits are beginning to look really baggy on me, I'm not yet quite at the next size down and there was nothing at the shop that I wanted and fit me. :( I did get a carry-on suitcase for like $8 so that is rad.

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The Penguin Place sent me a discount code for 33% off. So of course I used it.

I bought two figurines: an Emperor penguin chick (different kind than the ones I already have) and an adult Gentoo penguin. And I bought a hat (hey, hats are practical, and even nicer when there's a penguin dad and chick on it). I just wish the t-shirt they have that says "My shirt has penguins on it. That makes it better than your shirt." was available in my size.

Latest purchase had some frustrations that are Rant-worthy, but it turned out that I got 3 free pizzas because the driver's card reader wouldn't work (kept timing out before I could punch in my pin code), and the driver decided to take off back to the restaurant to get a new machine. He took the pizzas with him with no mention of whether I'd get the same ones back or if they'd make me a fresh order since these ones would no longer be "hot and fresh" by the time I eventually did get them (company policy is to leave the food with the customer; they know where I live, so it's not like I could grab them and never pay for them). So I phoned the restaurant to ask what they planned to do about compensating me for the inconvenience... and at first they offered $10 off. Then they phoned back and said the driver was returning with my pizzas and they would be free.

So it was not exactly a purchase since I ended paying $0, but I think it counts since the original plan was to pay for them... and no, this time the driver did not get a tip. At first he tried to blame me, suggesting I hadn't used the machine correctly, but after five tries and the timeout happening at the same spot every time no matter how fast I tried to get it done, I told him it was the machine at fault.

If this order hadn't been one that I'd get extra loyalty points for, I would likely have told them to forget the order and I'd get my supper via Skip the Dishes.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

After coming back from goodwill empty-handed (clothes wise), I ended up popping into Old Navy and it turns out I now just barely fit their largest shirt sizes now. I got a bunch of cool t-shirts and a couple of pair of jeans. It's good that everything is a bit tighter than I'd like because I plan on continuing to lose weight. Time to get rid of a bunch of baggy clothes.

5. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

Amazon suggested these for me, and I immediately had to buy a pair. This is totally ingenious, I hope they're as fun to wear as they look!

Screenshot_20190625-140026_Amazon Shopping.jpg

6. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Is it real grass?

7. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

No it's artificial, but reviews said it feels really good.

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Yeah I guess implementing real grass in flipflops would be a rather tricky contraption.

edit: we should make a norwegian version with fake snow bottoms instead of grass

Quintillus and Valka D'Ur like this.
  9. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

That looks super uncomfortable but I'm open to being wrong.

10. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cheap knock-off version made with astro-turf......

11. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I got half a dozen cute shirts for ~$9, thrifting is awesome. Also a classy dress for 8, still had the JCP tag on showing its original price of $45 :D Unfortunately nice skirts are hard to find at thrift stores so nothing there.

I also got two of Disney's 25th anniversary (1996) glass cups that I grew up with at my mom's house so that was a superb find, I love these glasses, fantastic weight/balance/capacity and it goes a ways to making my place more like a home.

jarred!, Snerk, shadowplay and 3 others like this.
  12. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

My first thought was that you are going to need a very small lawnmower for those.

Hopefully your cat doesn't think it's real grass.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Anyone have experience with sensitive skin and electric razors? I would prefer an electric razor but I have two problems with them - the shaves are not as close as a traditional razor and they make me break out really bad. I can get over the first issue but not the second. I hate breaking out in tiny pimples all over my neck which is what happens with electric razors even if I immediately scrub the hell out of my neck in the shower post-shaving.

14. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Scrub before you shave as well, and apply a dab of coconut oil to the jawline/neckline the second you're done. Then massage the oil in against the grain while in the shower. My neck never breaks out now.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

My skin is very sensitive, and I'd often cut myself when using a regular razor. I started using a waterproof electric multi-function one, I bought it for about $25 on Amazon, and it worked really well: it got it down very smooth and I never had any irritation.

This isn't the exact one I bought, but mine is very similar to this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Epilator-Electric-Exfoliation-Massager-Rechargeable/dp/B07R1X1PX2/

If you're having bad irritation on your skin, you might want to try applying a cream after you shave .. have you tried using something like aloe vera or coconut oil? Or are you shaving while you shower? I've always found you can get better results when shaving while wet, if your skin's too dry then you could be damaging it with your razor.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Use a woman't shaving cream over your standard male brand. It really helps. I've used it for a long time. (and frequently change your razor blade.)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I just bought GTA 3 trilogy on steam for like 9 bucks because I'm an idiot and of course they're buggy af on my old mac and barely playable anyway. You know how long the loading is trying to outfit CJ with a hat? It's not slow because of PS2 loading times it's slow because they programmed it so :(

18. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

You can refund it within 2 hours playtime or 14 days realtime

19. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

My new eyeglasses have arrived. First time ordering them online, but it's way less expensive that way, with all the same features. I realized a couple months ago that it probably wasn't a great idea not having a backup pair with a similar prescription, so now my 7-year-old "current" pair can become the backup and I won't be up a creek without a paddle if I lose/break them.

At least not figuratively. Last time I was literally, but since my "current" one was my "backup" then, I wasn't figuratively.

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Someone knocked on the door and asked if they could get some horse nappies off us.
    I was a deer in the headlights, then my partner ushered me out of the way and guided him away to discuss the size of the horse!
    You live and learn.

Snerk and shadowplay like this.