Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

When it comes to more direct things like tire rotations, the dealers do have a lot of latitude. It'd be helpful to know what other things dealers can use to facilitate deals outside of direct price negotiation, if you have anything particular to share @Timsup2nothin.

Things dealers have a lot of latitude on are generally things of no value at all.

Anecdote:

Spoiler :
I was the finance manager at this dealership. Back in the day that was the guy you went to after you had agreed to buy the car who did all the contracts and other paperwork signing while selling you warranties, padding your interest rate so we could get some kick from the bank we sold your contract to, selling you life, accident, and health insurance to cover your payments if anything bad got in the way without mentioning that such insurance cost almost as much as the car when he rolled it into your payments, etc. At this particular store, which was in fact in the Mojave Desert, I also sold a 'Desert Protection Package' for a mere <starting price> $699. I was allowed to go as low as I had to to sell it, including throwing it in to tip the deal to sell warranties and other stuff because we put the desert protection package on every car when it came off the truck anyway. It was more commonly known as WAX.

Ha! They tried something like that on me. He tried to sweeten the pot by telling me he would give me free, unlimited access to the car wash they just installed. I asked if it was going on the Due Bill and he said no and I said, OK so you give that to everyone, let's focus on other things.

I was just thinking that the other day. The Members' Photos thread is also a bit quiet without her (thank goodness for @Snerk and his horse-bros!).

So we can't have a babe thread, but we're allowed to post photos of our members?!

Anyone know of a good, non-electric, non-straight razor?

I've begun shaving off my neckbeard (I trim everything above the jawline) and the cheapo razor I bought sucks and I have to hit the same spots 2 or 3 or 4 times to get a good shave which causes razorburn and irritation.

My latest purchase: pizza (cheese, extra sauce, pepperoni, sausage, black olives, and tomatoes)

This is becoming a Sunday night habit, since I have two TV shows I watch on that night (The Handmaid's Tale and Big Brother). I get enough to have several meals for the next couple of days.

You do know that they probably only produced a couple of hundred of one of the states, making it highly unlikely that no matter how many you buy, you're not going to find the last one.

Nope, I found it. Mission accomplished. Ready to switch back to water now.

Congrats, well done. So what was the final amount you had to spend to win the 100? And which was the hardest state to get?

I'm not exactly sure, a few bottles were donated and the cost of them varies. I know I bought three 8-packs of the 16 ounces bottles of regular dew that I just gave away cus I don't like the sugar. So that alone was $10. I got about 10 states that way. Just ball parking it, between what I got at work and average party store price I probably spent $70 total and consumed around 30 diet dew singles over three weeks.

Things dealers have a lot of latitude on are generally things of no value at all.

Anecdote:

Spoiler :
I was the finance manager at this dealership. Back in the day that was the guy you went to after you had agreed to buy the car who did all the contracts and other paperwork signing while selling you warranties, padding your interest rate so we could get some kick from the bank we sold your contract to, selling you life, accident, and health insurance to cover your payments if anything bad got in the way without mentioning that such insurance cost almost as much as the car when he rolled it into your payments, etc. At this particular store, which was in fact in the Mojave Desert, I also sold a 'Desert Protection Package' for a mere <starting price> $699. I was allowed to go as low as I had to to sell it, including throwing it in to tip the deal to sell warranties and other stuff because we put the desert protection package on every car when it came off the truck anyway. It was more commonly known as WAX.

Yeah so regarding that, it's like the movie fargo guy talking about selling people the clear coat or whatever. When I bought my nissan the sales guy there actually told me so they're gonna offer you this coating protection thing which is really just a warranty because we already apply it to every car we get. So you don't need to buy it, it's already on there. I've bought 3 cars from there, though I have supplier pricing so not much haggle on price. The first I got suckered into buying wheel and tire insurance which I never used. They told me just put nails in all four sidewalls when you need new tires and get free ones like yeah, who's gonna actually do that and get their car towed to get new tires? Then second car I did better, didn't buy anything extra, 3rd car I got suckered into buying an extended warranty which sadly doesn't cover horsehocky that breaks. Cus anything that breaks they'll just say welp it's normal wear and tear! I guess there's a difference between part failure and part breaking. If my engine just explodes maybe I'll get something out of it. It was only like $600. The guy started it at $2000 and kept lowering the price when I said no. Whatever. The rear hatch that holds the button for opening the car actually broke, the housing cracked and it came loose but they said it wasn't covered. I was super pissed off but they told me it's at a corporate level and they can't override it. I will never buy super warranties again.

One thing I did buy on all three though was gap insurance in case you total the car before you've paid enough off to cover it. That I think is probably something I want but not sure if they give me the best rate. Probably not.

A true winner then.

I decided to make Beyond Meat burgers this week and made a trip to whole foods after going to Aldi's just to get some. Aldi's has a new brand of plant-patties that look pretty good but I decided to hold out for the real deal. Thing was that Whole Foods was out. :( Then I walked a couple miles to Target to them because their website said they had some in stock and I didn't have the car. Well, their website lied and I made the trip for nothing. :mad: Finally, I decided to get some BBQ pulled pork to put on the buns I got for the burgers but they were also out of french fried onions to go on top. Ugh

I tried the Beyond Meat sausages a couple weeks ago. I normally don't like sausages, both taste-wise and digestive tract-wise, but it was actually pretty good.

I haven't actually seen those in the stores yet. I've had both their beef crumbles and chicken strips and they weren't that good. I find Aldi brand beef crumbles and chicken strips to be superior. The Beyond Meat chicken strips in particular were super dense and hard and got worse with cooking. The burgers though are delicious. I can't wait for Impossible burgers to hit store shelves - they got preliminary clearance from the FDA to do so but the beef industry is likely going to sue and hold them up for a while longer. I really regret my choice not to pick up the Aldi's brand burgers since their other products are so good and the Beyond Meat burgers can't stay on shelves.

The important question is when will McDs offer the Impossible Burger or its own branded version.

McDonald's is struggling lately and forcing a lot of changes to their stores that the franchises don't want. They do seem to be a holdout at this point on fake meat burgers. I would think that the hold up is more related to the volume and price points they'd require - I think McDonald's alone could soak up all fake meat production from any of the suppliers if they wanted to.

McDonald's is struggling lately and forcing a lot of changes to their stores that the franchises don't want. They do seem to be a holdout at this point on fake meat burgers. I would think that the hold up is more related to the volume and price points they'd require - I think McDonald's alone could soak up all fake meat production from any of the suppliers if they wanted to.
Yes, and I expect them to have their own branded version when they jump in.

Maybe they will call it a Big Fake or a Fake Mac or the McPossible burger. Or how about McMeatless?

I miss maryKB hourly purchases. I hope her honeymoon was fantastic.

I bought a new pair of shoes! Converse high-tops, dark blue.

Been wanting a pair of these (or at least something similar) for aaages, but the local shoe stores never seemed to have them (and Amazon = :satan: ). Even today, we had to visit 4 stores before we struck lucky (store 3 had the low-cut versions, but no high-tops in my size a-tall).

Admittedly, I liked the charcoal better than the blue, but unfortunately the 'winning' store didn't have a pair of those my size either. But since my old pair of sneakers has been disintegrating by degrees for the past couple of months, I really couldn't put this purchase off any longer (unlike my darling wife, shoe-shopping is not one of my favourite pastimes...).

Anyone got a recommendation for a good razor? Preferably one that does well with shaving an untrimmed neck area, if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom