1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaryKB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This situation never ends and I'm kicking myself for being honest.

The seller sent out a second unit which I now have as they were unable to stop the shipment. They want me to send it back which is fine except they want me to go to a UPS store to do it. I don't have a car throughout the week and getting to the store will be a major hassle. I wish I had just not told them the first unit arrived.

2. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

The regular school schedule in the US (I presume) doesn't include June?!

3. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Depends on where you are. Some schools go back in August, some in September. I've heard of a couple starting again at the end of July, even. Typically there's a two month-ish break.

My school in Canada ended at the end of June and started at the beginning of September. Some schools in the US have the same schedule as that, but then there are others that end in May or the very beginning of June.

4. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Most of June anyway. Ending the second Wednesday of June seems relatively standard in my area

5. civvver

civvver Deity

Two weeks in June and last week is half days. Preschool probably ends sooner, they aren't public schools, they can make up their own calendar.

6. dusters

dusters Fairy

Bought two more orange juice packs.

I got orange juice, pomegranate juice, pinapple juice and carrot juice now.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Turbo Tax deluxe for 2019

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Thank you for reminding me I had to check my unemployment portal for tax documentation!

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Synsensa

My friend's boyfriend got really upset because he has a Nintendo Switch and the release joy-con he got with it has a common issue where the joystick over-compensates and has phantom triggers. The solution is to either bug Nintendo until they let you send it in and they add some foam to it, or you buy a later generation joy-con. So I bought a new joy-con and I'll be surprising him with it at his birthday. We aren't friends and we're largely nonverbal around each other unless there's something that needs doing, but he's been a champ with my unusual friendship with his girlfriend and it's nice to foster goodwill. It's also to my friend's benefit, to an estranged friend's benefit, and to my own benefit whenever I visit. So it seems like an easy win across the board.

I also bought new throw pillow covers. My old one was in shambles. The new ones are a little rougher in texture and the fit is a little tighter, but they seem alright.

I bought a replacement bag for my razor and nail clippers. It is not here yet, but it'll be almost twice the size of the old bag. That's going to be a little annoying but not a huge deal. It's made out of canvas and not plastic. I've been using the same toiletry bag for over a decade. I got the old one from one of those dinky $10 travel razor kits. It's held up a surprisingly long time. It's gotten to the point, though, where the plastic is just flaking off and falling apart.

I bought replacement travel tags for my bags. They still use the old tags from when I first moved over five years ago so the phone numbers are three numbers outdated. Since I'm not in eyesight of my bags when on the train, I figure it's time to get proper tags on them.

I also finally got Spotify Premium. Easy to say "Wow, it's so much better than the free version!" but that's the point. They've just made the free version so miserable to use that you're too relieved by the good version to realize what they've done.

Snerk and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

New calculator! I usually prefer PC math software but uni is anal about that. I haven't used my ancient Casio since the neolithic era so that won't do. Getting an Nspire cx calc as I'm already familiar with their software and it seems somewhat intuitive to use. Pricey but ok.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

No love for the Texas Instruments line?

12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Hm? The Nspire CX II T is very much a Texas Instrument calc. :)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

There's an Asian American cultural expo this weekend and I want to buy tickets to that but not sure if we'll have time to go.

14. Synsensa

I just ordered a microwave cover because my roommate keeps exploding pungent Indian food in the microwave and then walks away without cleaning it up. There's only so many times I can clean caked-on orange mist with a lingering scent that imbues everything that gets microwaved afterwards every week before I have a conniption.

I doubt he'll use it. But it's the thought that counts, I am sure.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  15. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

OMG, I so need to do this. :sad: But Dec/Jan are my high expenses months. Next month, I promise.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I bought a beefcake antenna. I've had the current one for a few weeks (long enough I can't return it) and it worked fine until we got moderate clouds and fog and now it barely works. I also got a splitter and extra cables to route the signal through the walls to the other room. Before I hook up that circuit, I have to first see how good the reception is without the splitter as the splitter and extra wiring will degrade the signal so I have make sure it works without that extra interference.

Unfortunately, it likely won't be here before this Godzilla marathon on Monday I wanted to record. I also just threw out a bunch of coax cable too. :(

I got tickets to go see this expo tomorrow. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  17. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    FWIW, I read somewhere that if you cut a lemon in half, stand it in a shallow dish of water, and nuke it for a minute or two, it not only makes the inside of the microwave really easy to clean, it also deodorises it. Not sure if true.

cardgame and Synsensa like this.
  18. Synsensa

Yeah, that's true. Soaking a sponge in white vinegar and microwaving that works too.

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Then you chop up the lemon and throw it down your garbage disposal (if you have that) to make it smell nice. I read they aren't common outside the US though.

20. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Treated myself to a few things earlier in the month, now the first of them have arrived: a super soft satin nightdress and super cute black skater dress. Both excellent shape for the price I paid :)

hobbsyoyo likes this.