Shopping Thread .. or What Did You Buy?

We haven't had a dryer in the house in over 45 years. We line dry everything. Summer, fall, winter and spring. Maine, NC and New Mexico. Frozen clothes just take a bit longer to dry :lol:

A lost art.
We have a clothes horse in the utility for when its too wet to line dry.

¿ƃuᴉɥʇ ɹǝʇsdᴉɥ ʍǝu ǝɯos ʇᴉ sI

˙sǝʇɐɔᴉldnp ǝɥʇ ǝʇǝlǝp ll,I 'uo ƃuɐH ˙pǝɥɔʇᴉlƃ uoʇʇnq ʇsod ǝɥ┴

A lost art.
Ancient solar dryer tech.

So, let me make sure I have this straight...

You take your just cleaned clothes out of the washer, then take them outside and hang them up to see how much grit they can filter out of the wind before they blow off and fall on the ground?

Please remember when trying to explain things to me that even though I am not dumb, I was raised in the desert so certain aspects of normal civilization may be difficult to correlate to my experiences.

Please fix your font. :D

˙uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹɐ sʇsod ǝɥʇ ll∀ ˙ƃuᴉɥɔʇᴉlƃ sᴉ ǝɹɐʍʇɟos ɯnɹoɟ ǝɥ┴ ¡ǝɯ ʇou s,ʇI

You take your just cleaned clothes out of the washer, then take them outside and hang them up to see how much grit they can filter out of the wind before they blow off and fall on the ground?

Please remember when trying to explain things to me that even though I am not dumb, I was raised in the desert so certain aspects of normal civilization may be difficult to correlate to my experiences.

Yes. Ideally you hang the line above flowerbeds so that mud gets on your pristine white sheets as well.

Please forgive me then if I do not reply to your messages until it's fixed. It is a headache to read.

¡sʇsod s,ǝslǝ ǝuoʎɹǝʌǝ pɐǝɹ oʇ pɐǝɥ ʎɯ uo ƃuᴉpuɐʇs ʎlʇuɐʇsuoɔ ɯoɹɟ ǝɹos ʎllɐǝɹ sᴉ ʞɔǝu ʎW

Yeah, gotta just hard pass on this clothesline thing. Even though the flying dirt problem has gotten a lot better after several decades of suburban sprawling the desert is still too dusty for it to catch on.

We haven't had a dryer in the house in over 45 years. We line dry everything. Summer, fall, winter and spring. Maine, NC and New Mexico. Frozen clothes just take a bit longer to dry :lol:
We're not allowed to have a clothesline here. Apparently it doesn't meet some "aesthetics" requirement of the company that owns the building, to have clothes drying on the balcony. On the other hand, balconies filled with truck tires, bikes, and garbage bags of whatever are just fine.

It's a nice racket, since the dryers here almost never dry everything properly the first time. I bought a drying rack and extra clothes hangers and put it in front of a window where there's enough sunlight and it can be opened in the summer. I refuse to pay for two drying cycles.

When I told the manager about this he said, "You're the only person who has ever complained about this," and I told him, "No, I'm not. I may be the only person who has complained to you, but I'm not the only one who complains, period."
What's a clothesline?
Free-standing ones are two poles in the ground, with a line attached to them. You hang the clothes on the line so they dry.

Others may be attached between walls indoors, or one attached to an outdoor wall and the other end is a pole. These operate on a pulley system, with dividers to keep the heavy stuff from dragging on the ground or floor.

A lost art.
For some reason those are somewhat expensive these days, even the old wooden kind my mother used to have.

You attach them with clothespins. You also, if you have the choice, take into account how the wind usually blows and you have sense enough not to hang the clothes out when there's a lot of grit blowing around. That's why I wouldn't hang my clothes on the balcony even if allowed, because I live near the corner of the property where the wind tends to pick up a lot of sand and dirt - and during a wind storm, it's amazing some of the things I'd find on my balcony (twigs, and even a kids' windmill toy).

Think of the old Star Trek episode about Harry Mudd and the time he was selling women as wives to the miners. One of the women suggested he hang his pots and pans outside to let the sand clean them.

Well, with clotheslines you're not using sand and they're already clean, but you are using wind and air to dry them. The fresh-air smell of clean sheets is amazing.

Please forgive me then if I do not reply to your messages until it's fixed. It is a headache to read.
Yes, it is incredibly annoying, and I won't be reading them until the posts are right-side up.

I'm not joking, @aimeeandbeatles. It's really inconsiderate to expect people to read upside-down, especially people who are already dealing with vision problems.

You attach them with clothespins. You also, if you have the choice, take into account how the wind usually blows and you have sense enough not to hang the clothes out when there's a lot of grit blowing around. That's why I wouldn't hang my clothes on the balcony even if allowed, because I live near the corner of the property where the wind tends to pick up a lot of sand and dirt - and during a wind storm, it's amazing some of the things I'd find on my balcony (twigs, and even a kids' windmill toy).

Well, I was sort of joking. Where I live the wind can tear down canopies that are bolted on, so clothespins genuinely don't stand a chance...and what most people call "windstorms" we call "afternoons."

I have lived in the desert for 30 years. I am familiar with how it is not like other places.

Wind blown grit has never been a problem. That is an imaginary problem unless you do it wrong. You should read The Zen of Hanging Out Clothes

1. Carry the clean wet clothes outside to the clothesline
2. Clotheslines or hanging apparatus should be thoughtfully placed for lots of sun and less wind if there are options
3. Use sturdy clothes pins to securely attach clothes; often more than 1 or 2 pins may be necessary if the item is large and heavy
4. Allow time to dry depending upon conditions. Some items dry quickly and others take longer. Know your clothes.

Caveats:
1. Don't hang clothes outside in heavy rain
2. Don't hang clothes out on days with blowing sand
3. If it rains while one's clothes are drying (and now not) you have to decide: rush to bring them in or relax and let them hang for as long as it takes.
4. One must adapt to the local conditions prevalent where you live. Maine, NC and NM each demand different strategies and ways of thinking.

:)

I have lived in the desert for 30 years. I am familiar with how it is not like other places.

Wind blown grit has never been a problem. That is an imaginary problem unless you do it wrong. You should read The Zen of Hanging Out Clothes

1. Carry the clean wet clothes outside to the clothesline
2. Clotheslines or hanging apparatus should be thoughtfully placed for lots of sun and less wind if there are options
3. Use sturdy clothes pins to securely attach clothes; often more than 1 or 2 pins may be necessary if the item is large and heavy
4. Allow time to dry depending upon conditions. Some items dry quickly and others take longer. Know your clothes.

Caveats:
1. Don't hang clothes outside in heavy rain
2. Don't hang clothes out on days with blowing sand
3. If it rains while one's clothes are drying (and now not) you have to decide: rush to bring them in or relax and let them hang for as long as it takes.
4. One must adapt to the local conditions prevalent where you live. Maine, NC and NM each demand different strategies and ways of thinking.

:)

I drew the "wrong end of the desert" straw.

At the southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountains there's what are called the "transverse ranges." The Mojave desert is shaped like an arrowhead and the point is wedged in between these ranges, and I live in that point. The sun hits the Mojave and heat makes air rise, and that rising air over the entire gigantic pan from here to Vegas and Phoenix has to be replaced with air drawn through the channel between the Tehachapis and the San Gabriels. "Thoughtfully placed for less wind" starts about twenty miles from here. :lol: On the plus side I could probably send you a post card by tying it to a balloon.

Well, I was sort of joking. Where I live the wind can tear down canopies that are bolted on, so clothespins genuinely don't stand a chance...and what most people call "windstorms" we call "afternoons."
See the OP for my weather thread. That's what I consider a windstorm. Roofs were ripped off buildings, and trees were uprooted that day. I saw a cloud of dirt, sand, twigs, garbage, and small stones blowing past my window (Maddy was terrified). The siding was ripped off the wall of the nursing home where my dad lived. Some power poles were blown over or trees came down on the lines, and we had power outages.

Naturally, it would be stupid to hang clothes out on a day like that.

We really do have days like that all the time. Roofs and siding don't get ripped off regularly because any weakness has already been found, and same for trees*...any that can't handle the wind have been long since disposed of. I am actually old enough to remember when having a clothes dryer was a really serious luxury and people did have clotheslines, but to use them here people seriously did get up and get their washer running before dawn so that they could get the clothes out on the line as soon as the sun was hitting and get them in by about ten o'clock when the wind started rolling.

When I was a kid we didn't get many snow days off school, but we would get sent home early at least a few days a year because the forecast threatened winds that would tip over a school bus.

Suburbia has created a microclimate now that shields the east side of town pretty well so at least at my gf's house it isn't bad (and makes school buses generally safe), but most days you'd still be hard pressed to use a clothesline at the west side house where I grew up.

*When my mom moved to assisted living and we were cleaning out her house we found this ancient crayon drawing that my sister and I debated about which of us had drawn. Standard kid drawing with trees like a brown rectangle with a green ball on top. But we laughed our tails off because the trees were all drawn with the trunk on one side so they looked like the letter 'P' because around here trees don't generally try to grow branches into the wind and apparently as a kid one of us had picked up on that.

Conversely. here, coconut trees grow towards the prevailing wind. I don't know why. :confused:

That's perversely, not conversely. :)

The mechanism though is a product of the loose sandy soil. It gets blown away on the windward and accumulates in the eddy in the lee of the trunk. That allows the roots to be higher on that side so the palm tilts into the wind as it grows. Gives them that distinctive low curve before they turn straight up.

Top Bottom