Shoshone civilization, leader Pocatello

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why not. It's not an ability with a special animation, and it certainly isn't game breaking going into the late game. There's not much difference between having an archer with that ability and a buffed out scout.

I've been told that the African Forest Elephant doesn't have its ability stay upon upgrade, so specifically named abilities isn't enough to guarantee that it stays with the promotion. That being said, you make a good point that letting it keep it isn't game breaking, so it might keep it.

But... the Scout is able to attack.

So what good is a Shoshone Warrior if the Scout is cheaper and faster in rough terrain? I've never seen a UU make a different unit obsolete.

I see UU making different units obsolete all the time, just look at Keshiks/Camel Archers. There is no point in building crossbowmen or longswordsmen with these units around. The pikeman is the same but you need a melee unit to take cities so just build one or two.

The games unbalanced and Firaxis just doesn't care.

These guys I will play around with. Their scouts are better warriors pretty much. Make some melee and some archers via promo, and you have a powerful early game army and, you can rush techs early game by ruin choice. The extra land is also fun.

reading those post on "separate hypercube civ" thread, they have the most weirdest ideas and speculation of hypercube civ, and now most of them are disappointed, :lol:
i said: wait till BNW released before saying that "this civ", "that civ" is not worth it.
So does this mean Scouts can be upgraded?
well is you happen to spot a ancient ruins, your scout will be upgraded if you have enough luck :crazyeye:

I just realized that the Shoshone get proto-Minutemen. Wow.

reading those post on "separate hypercube civ" thread, they have the most weirdest ideas and speculation of hypercube civ, and now most of them are disappointed, :lol: i said: wait till BNW released before saying that "this civ", "that civ" is not worth it.
That's the problem with excessive speculation: one cannot help but be disappointed when the real thing is not the way you imagined it.

I see UU making different units obsolete all the time, just look at Keshiks/Camel Archers. There is no point in building crossbowmen or longswordsmen with these units around. The pikeman is the same but you need a melee unit to take cities so just build one or two.

The games unbalanced and Firaxis just doesn't care.

If swords are a viable strategy again, then Warriors would still be useful, as they upgrade into Swordsmen-Longswordsmen-Musketeers etc. But only if swordsmen become more useful than they currently are, and you have a reason to go for IW early in the game.

Also, I don't think the comparison between Pathfinders and Keshiks/Camels is accurate. You're using these last bad guys to win the game before they become obsolete, or at least secure your dominating position; I don't see one using the Pathfinder that way. Warrior rush isn't a very viable strategy.

WOW, I can honestly say I never saw this coming:eek:, but yeah I'm a little disappointed but not much. I'm just grateful we finally got two Native American civs in one game, this is a bold step in the right direction if you ask me. Not to change the discussion to much but who else thinks the capital will be Death Valley?

maybe they should remake the conquest of the new world scenario, i would like to play as Shoshone while beating napoleon and Isabella . hope they will! hope they will! :crazyeye:

maybe they should remake the conquest of the new world scenario, i would like to play as Shoshone while beating napoleon and Isabella . hope they will! hope they will! :crazyeye:

you're in luck, they are. conquest of the new world Deluxe. the revelations hidden in some thread somewhere.

I don't think of the Shoshone as having to do with the New World. Pueblo would have been perfect, but Shoshone are strongly associated with the United States (far more than the Iroquois).

The Pueblo or the Shawnee (TECUMSEH! :D) would have been better, but I guess this is ok. At least people will now know who the Shoshone were.

Still, I feel a bit disappointed. Their UA is truly underwhelming, and I don't think it really reflects the Shoshone legacy at all.

While I agree, Pueblo would have been the best choice hands down, I dont think the Shoshone UA is bad, sure it doesnt use any of the new mechanics, and it doesnt seem impresive at first sight, but its a very solid UA with good synergy.

What we know points to the Shoshone being able to pull a very agressive REX, Pathfinders give Shoshone a lot of versatility in early game, gold, upgrades, tech, faith, etc. And despite spaming nothing but Scouts you would be in good position to hold back barbs and early invasions.

The Comanche raider looks like a really solid UU, even more if they can carry its bonuses on upgade.

So yeah, agressive REXing, larger border and extra defense? It does sound really fun, there's still some details we dont know, like weather founded cities get a bunch of free tiles, or an extra ring (I hope its the extra ring) and also if we can choose the same bonus from ruins many times or is it like the Mayan UA, and we have to choose every one at least once.

I was going to play Polynesia for my first game, but Im really liking the Shoshone to start with them.

Also, just like Zulu and Germany, Shoshone seems to have taken much of America's UA, hopefully that means both Germany and America are getting updated for BNW.

you're in luck, they are. conquest of the new world Deluxe. the revelations hidden in some thread somewhere.

Is this... trolling? oh how i hope you arn't trolling its most definitely trolling. or sarcasm. or whatever

ON TOPIC: the shoshone, huh? i cant say ive ever heard of them, (damn you eurocentric history class) but from what i can tell they seem like the Sioux but less marketable? +1 for variety though, as civ is often a great way for people to learn about things they hadnt heard of before, as long as firaxis doesnt play into whats already popular. also, people sad that its not hypercubey enough: the hypercube civ is clearly venice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom