Not open for further replies.
Possible city names?

(Fort) Washakie
Wind River
Nampa (/Kuma?)
Crowheart
Ethete
Arapahoe
Tonopah (guarantees silver inside city radius? ;) )
Seedskadee
Tee-Win-At/Teton Valley
St. Stephens
Lemhi Valley
Tukuaduka (perhaps?)
Timbisha
Panamint Valley
Furnace Creek
Death Valley
Owens Valley
Battle Mountain
Elko
Goshute
Twin Falls
Winnemucca
Lahontan
*Pocatello (God of Kings suggested; I don't believe this name will make the cut, though GoK's rationale is reasonable)

Those are a mix of reservations, tribes, Shoshone topynyms etc. I found as I was combing through various sites on the Shoshone.

* denotes other fanatics' suggestions

Possible city names?

(Fort) Washakie
Wind River
Crowheart
Ethete
Arapahoe
Tonopah (guarantees silver inside city radius? ;) )
Seedskadee
Tee-Win-At/Teton Valley
St. Stephens
Lemhi Valley
Tukuaduka (perhaps?)
Timbisha
Panamint Valley
Furnace Creek
Death Valley
Owens Valley
Battle Mountain
Elko
Goshute
Twin Falls
Winnemucca
Lahontan

Those are a mix of reservations, tribes, Shoshone topynyms etc. I found as I was combing through various sites on the Shoshone.

Add Pocatello (Idaho) to the list. There have already been many cities with their leaders' names on them, such as the most obvious for the United States.

The United States is obvious, but are there any others? Is Alexandria on the Greek list?

The United States is obvious, but are there any others? Is Alexandria on the Greek list?

Isn't Caesaraugusta on the Roman list?

There is Yekaterinburg as well IIRC, though it was named after an earlier Catherine than the one we have.

ETA: And Pi-Ramesses.

Yes, I was asking about the Greek list, since Alexander isn't the Egyptian leader :p

So does the icon actually mean anything or is it just a generic headdress?

They seem rather lackluster to me overall.

When I play a civ, I want something I can form a strategy around: like securing Marsh and Floodplains lands for massively tall cities as the Dutch, or holding high excess happiness as Persia for more prolonged Golden Ages.

Everything interesting about this civ is either in the early game when there are still Ruins to nab or in the early life of a city: I'd like them to have some game changer other than better defense.

They would so much cooler if, say, they could work an extra ring or two of tiles around a city at maximum cultural border expansion: or just anything to build a tactic around and look forward to in the late game.

The strategy is early rush.
Pump out Pathfinders, (probably go Honor/Liberty) get a bunch of early bonuses and take out a neighbor with Pathfinder "warriors" and ruin promoted pathfinder Archers

Seize the good terrain. Build from there.
It is all early game. But it is a strategy.

Since I only play Marathon games on Huge maps, a civ that is only interesting in the early game doesn't appeal to me much.

I hope the Shoshone get a pathfinder to start the game instead of the usual warrior. Since they cost more then they will be at a slight disadvantage if they have to build it and have another civ nearby.

Since I only play Marathon games on Huge maps, a civ that is only interesting in the early game doesn't appeal to me much.

Well they also provide an excellent late game conquest bonus
1. Friendly territory includes territory you Just Conquered
2. The UU Cavalry movement bonus seems to be a promotion. So they may get faster / better Tanks

So they could make a good
Lightning War Autocracy Conquest
Or
Raze and Rebuild Order Conquest

That would probably be the complete Strategy
1. Pump pathfinders for bonuses from ruins
2. Knock out a rival
3. Settle widely locking out the good territory
4. Stockpile a massive Comanche Army
5. Get Blitzkrieg
6. Conquer civs on your own then other continents.
...OR..
Because you locked down a lot of good territory with very few cities, go Tall and use your cheap fast cavalry and bonus to protect your large land area

It's going to be hard playing SHOSHONE on PANGAEA on IMMORTAL, especially if you start with Warrior and not Pathfinder. By the time you build a PF, you'll only be able to find 2 ruins if you're lucky.

They would be great on ARCHIPELAGO if you go for OPTICS ASAP, and I do like that their UU comes later in the game rather than in the very beginning. It makes them stay interesting throughout the game.

You know, it's usually only the first 2 or 3 units you send out that manage to find any ruins at all. Pumping out Pathfinders to exploit ruins is a diminishing returns game.

Unless you turn the first 2 or 3 into archers right off the back and combine them with later ones to Ancient Rush a neighbor, there's no reason to pump them out.

Yes but if you can keep those 3 archers alive you could have some very fast machine gun/bazooka units in the late game. Potentially with better defense or sight if they were upgraded before finding the ruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom