1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Should a person be proud of their ethnicity?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Borachio, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I'm confused.

Did I choose to be born what I am?

And if I didn't why would I be proud of it?

Then again it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I'd say no, in general. Unless one is directly hailing from an obviously superior culture :jesus:

(more serious answer: given how 'pride' about ethnicity is almost always vile, safe answer would be no, yet it depends on the person ^^ That said, obviously no one is in anything near absolute tautology with an ethnicity, and that is also true for those associated with past glories of said ethnicity ).

3. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Did we "choose" anything about ourselves, in any meaningful way? Is ethnicity any more out of our control than artistic talent or athletic ability? Or for that matter, aptitude for math or science?

Berzerker and Hygro like this.
  4. red_elk

red_elk Chieftain

Generally, a person can be proud of something he or his community achieved. Ethnicity is innate quality, so there is nothing to be proud of. It's the same as being proud of being human or (fe)male.
    I guess someone can be also proud of qualities which are considered superior - like a woman can be proud of being beautiful.
    But with "superior ethnicities", we had negative experience recently.

5. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald nIGHTMARE

Pride is the gravest of the deadly sins

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Pride I don't really have much of a problem with. (Or at least so I like to imagine.)

My problem is sloth.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Banned at Stormfront, for the same reasons
    This is a far more complicated question than it is being made out to be. Issues of "just what is meant by 'pride'" come up, obviously. Along with questions of how pride translates into action.

Something over half of my ancestors, if you go back three generations, would be found in Scotland, so I feel like I have a right to say that I am "of Scottish descent." I am, by many measures, proud of that. I enjoy attending the Highland Games when they come about, and taking my friends and telling them about 'the old country' that I honestly have never seen. (Yes, @Traitorfish, I realize that highland games, American style, are probably more of a travesty than a show of pride, but let it go, eh?)

But none of that pride is of the "I am better than" form. None of it leads me to take a claymore to my neighbors that are not of Scottish descent, or disown my children that I made with a girl who has not a drop of Scottish blood. I've gotten in more fights over being from California than I have over being 'Scottish-American.'

Traitorfish likes this.
  8. Kyriakos

What about greed?

Damn it, Tim, what an unfortunate cross-post ^^

9. Timsup2nothin

I don't think greed is among the big seven...that's the closely related gluttony if I recall.

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I appreciate that.

Is it possible to live without pride?

11. Timsup2nothin

I would guess not. But that's just a guess.

A perhaps more interesting question would be whether it is really desirable. I get the 'deadly sins' angle, but I suspect that like many sins the sin is in the excess.

12. Kyriakos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

13. Timsup2nothin

14. Peuri

Peuri Game

Connection to "ethnos" is tenuous at best. Not sure what is meant by ethnicity here, is it like nationality or a pc way to talk about race? Anyway, be it any of those, I say, you should be as proud of any approvable action done by another human of any ethnicity, and you should not be more proud on the basis that the person committing the act was of your ethnicity. The only way you should be more proud is if you personally had some influence in the act committed, like a parent could be proud of his child more than the child next door, since the parent could claim the child did the approvable act (partly) because of the life lessons given by the parent.

Edut: Is proudness a form of selfishness?

15. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

Be proud of as many completely meaningless things that you can imagine.
    Anthropomorphise them, give them names, invite them around for tea and cake.

Borachio likes this.
  16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

It is interesting to learn about your roots and heritage but not something to be either ashamed or proud of.

EricTheGreat12 likes this.
  17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Is pride, like hate or love, a primitive emotion that comes straight from the limbic system and is, in itself, neither good nor bad?

18. pippenainteasy

pippenainteasy Chieftain

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

Most people who express ethnic pride are working class people who, in their mind, probably it helps them focus on the daily grind and drudgery of working class life, to celebrate and be proud of their heritage. There's no objective reason to be proud of it, it's just a coping mechanism for those who aren't particularly analytical, in my opinion, in much the same way religiosity provides an identity for working class people.

Hrothbern likes this.
  19. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Religiosity provides an identity for working class people?

Does it?

That's not my experience. Working class people have always seemed the least religious to me.

Though of course there will be exceptions.

20. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

You also didn't chose to be born with the sexuality you have, or in the country you belong, or with the talents you have, or the physical traits you have, or with the defects you have. Still, many people take pride in many of these things.

As for pride, like many things, it's more about moderation and how you use it. In a certain way, pride is the basis of self-respect, and that's something I consider absolutely essential for being a whole person. In another way, pride is what makes unable to question oneself and push to act negatively.
    I'd say it's a bit like honour : if you hold it up as the concept saying that you behave in an honourable way, honour is positive. If you hold it up as a reputation you need to protect without bothering with the truth behind it, honour tends to be negative.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017