should alcohol be legalized for recreational use?

No, it shouldn't because the countries in which alcohol is prohibited are likely Islamic-centered. So in order to change the laws revolving in such nations you gotta also had to change the Qu'ran as well.

Australia is my favorite:

Alcohol is prohibited in many remote indigenous communities across Australia. Penalties for transporting alcohol into these "dry" communities are severe and can result in confiscation of any vehicles involved; in dry areas within the Northern Territory, all vehicles used to transport alcohol are seized.
Gotta love the hypocrisy of the "white man" even today.

And is Alabama considered to be a foreign country?

Twenty-six of Alabama's 67 counties do not allow the sale of alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

still a few counties in my state (PA) are dry...

So, when we let the Aborigines sit in the mess they've made, we're cruel and heartless, but when we try and help them with the massive alcohol and child abuse problems in those remote communities, we're being hypocritical.

In your infinite wisdom, what would you do? :rolleyes:

OTOH, it's ridiculous to impose such a law in secular countries like Australia.

Alcohol abuse is a huge problem in remote indigenous communities. Aboriginal people are at least twice as likely to have issues with alcohol than the rest of the population.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

By golly yes. I thought we learned our mistake back in the 20's?

Inebriate the masses!

I'm not in favour of bans, but banning alcohol in some remote indigenous communities is no different to banning crack. They ban petrol as well because people use it to get high. It has nothing to do with hypocracy of the white man, many of the bans were instituted at the request of the communities themselves. Though the problem isn't alcohol or petrol its merely a symptom of a lack of education and employment oppurtunities.

Are you insane? Society would disintegrate if we legalized alcohol, drug crime would soar, it's addictive, harmful and destroys countless lives. Furthermore it's a gateway drug for many even more dangerous drugs...

;)

One of the reasons Prohibition didn't work in the U.S. is because alcohol had already been long established as part of the popular culture. In a nation where it's NOT part of the popular culture, an alcohol ban would probably be very beneficial.

Unfortunately, the nations that currently ban alcohol are usually the same ones whose citizens have a habit of attacking innocent people at bus stations and blowing up churches with fashionable sportswear made from explosive materials and electric wiring. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, getting such people too drunk to give a crap would probably do the world a lot of good......(I was gonna try the phrase "do the world a world of good" but that just sounded cheesy)

One of the reasons Prohibition didn't work in the U.S. is because alcohol had already been long established as part of the popular culture. In a nation where it's NOT part of the popular culture, an alcohol ban would probably be very beneficial.

Unfortunately, the nations that currently ban alcohol are usually the same ones whose citizens have a habit of attacking innocent people at bus stations and blowing up churches with fashionable sportswear made from explosive materials and electric wiring. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, getting such people too drunk to give a crap would probably do the world a lot of good......(I was gonna try the phrase "do the world a world of good" but that just sounded cheesy)

Marijuana is a big part of American popular culture. Does that mean marijuana prohibition won't work either? :mischief:

Your hypothesis about drunken terrorists is optimistic, but Ireland has the biggest consumption of alcohol in the world and terrorism was a big problem here until recently...

Top Bottom