Should Athletes be allowed to major in their sports?

Should you be able to Major in "Football" (or any other sport)?

• Total voters
Sounds good to me.

But of course the whole 'college football' concept is bizarre to me. I don't see why teams can't recruit straight from high school. People shouldn't have to get a degree just to play ball, if that's all they want to do.

Why would this degree be pointless? Dozens of schools offer degrees in sports management, which is a real degree with rigorous coursework, along with communication and exercise science. If somebody wanted to be a football coach (and there are thousands of those jobs in the US), there isn't really a major for it...we actually force students to get a degree that has nothing to do with their desired vocation. THAT seems silly.

It would not be difficult to create an enriching and useful curriculum based on a sport. The only novelty would be allowing students to credit the 4 hours of film study or 20 hours of practice a week towards their craft, something we allow for virtually every other major. If you wanted to be a coach, studying film is more academically relevant than making coffee for a congressman is to a political science major, and yet nobody bats an eye at giving the later academic credit?

I've also noticed now that I've been working a lot in sports media that so many journalists and commentators do not have a very strong tactical understanding of the sport. That's a real industry with real jobs, what is so bad about making it a real study?

It just doubles down on risk. You aleady have many athletes with no chance of making it in the pros putting their eggs in that basket. Now you create another basket for a narrow field of jobs and water down the coursework. A narrow few might benefit from that but if a high percentage of athletes jump on it, there will just not be nearly enough sports jobs around and many of those jobs will go to those actually taking academics seriously. If I run a sports page, I would hire a journalism major (playing a sport would be a plus) over a football major. You will have many football majors with nothing in hand to bring to the real world.

Sounds good to me.

But of course the whole 'college football' concept is bizarre to me. I don't see why teams can't recruit straight from high school. People shouldn't have to get a degree just to play ball, if that's all they want to do.

The problem with this (and the reason why this isn't the case in sports like baseball or basketball) is that the disparity in size, physicality, speed, and pure game knowledge is so outrageously massive in football that a callup straight from high school simply wouldn't stand a chance. One of the major points referenced in these sorts of discussions is simply the playbook which is many many orders thicker and more intricate at the professional level than it is at the high school level. Even seemingly simple positions such as an Offensive Lineman (which at their most basic are a matter of preventing the opposing big dudes from getting through) have many nuances to them that you're only ever going to get to learn through practice, experience, and advanced coaching.

A sport like baseball requires a comparable amount knowledge, skill, and experience to even be competent at the professional level, however players are able to be drafted out of high school because there exist things such as the minor leagues and Japanese/Dominican/Winter/Australian leagues which have lesser playing levels than MLB (but greater than high school) where a player can be sent until such a time as they are ready to play at the professional level. These institutions are essentially training camps for pro level competition. Football cannot do this because it is significantly more expensive to run a football game than it is a baseball game, and it is simply unfeasible to run your soon-to-be superstar prospects through the sort of rigorous playing regimens that a sport like baseball does (in the minor leagues you literally play every day, sometimes as many as 2 or 3 games in a day) without exposing players to the risk of serious injury. In fact it's often the position players which are put through the minors for extended periods of time, or often are even generally drafted out of college as it requires a great deal of training and practice to learn how to hit big-league pitching and the possibility of career threatening injuries is significantly less (as is the tail-off of skill with age). Pitchers tend to be drafted much earlier, often out of high school, because technical or mechanical skill can often be counteracted through sheer strength, physicality, and flexibility, and pitchers also generally go through less minor league play because the risk of career ending injuries (particularly to the elbow) are significantly greater, and pitchers tend to have significant tail-off with age.

Basketball for a number of years had a great tradition of drafting studs out of high school due to the fact that technical ability could be mitigated in several notable positions through sheer size and physicality. Additionally basketball has a number of leagues available in the offseason where prospective younger players can refine their talents and gain valuable experience. Additionally there is a much greater desire to get players younger, while they are at their physical peaks, as tail-off due to aging (particularly in the form of recurring knee and ankle injuries) can significantly deteriorate a player's abilities as he ages.

So yeah, pretty much it's because in football the amount of skill required to perform at a high level in the nfl is such that it is for most positions completely unfeasible to draft out of high school, and because financial and medical limitations and tradition have pretty much prevented the creation of any sort of legitimate minor leagues to the scale that baseball or basketball (or hockey) have mean that collegiate football has always served as the de facto minor leagues for the NFL.

As to "majoring in football". I think it is incredibly stupid that players are majoring in things that they aren't particularly interested in doing, and I do believe adults should be entitled to make their own decisions, I think that career longevity (particularly in speed/strength positions like RB, P/KRs, and certain WR skillsets) would make it such that any iteration of this major which doesn't entail some sort of a "HOW TO MANAGE YOUR MONEY SO YOU DON'T FALL INTO POVERTY WHEN THE GRAVY TRAIN RUNS OUT" requirement would really be doing little more than screwing the player over for the rest of his life. This goes likewise for any prospective NBA players hoping to get their associate's degree in Professional Basketball.

Sounds good to me.

I should have been able to practice law right out of high school rather than have to slog through 7 more years of education plus the bar exam. At the most, I should have had to pass the bar exam, something I could have done at 18.

The problem with this (and the reason why this isn't the case in sports like baseball or basketball) is that the disparity in size, physicality, speed, and pure game knowledge is so outrageously massive in football that a callup straight from high school simply wouldn't stand a chance.

You can let the free market (ie. the NFL, without universities) deal with that.

I am gonna have to say yes, but ultimately, they're STILL gonna have to attend class. :lol:

I'd say make the sports major a combination of sports history, communications, etc. Try telling Peyton Manning that being smart doesn't help you play the game. Some of these young bucks coming out of college could use a brain.

Sounds good to me.

Aside from the reasons mentioned, it should be noted that sports leagues can and do draft players who are in college but haven't finished a degree. Off the top of my head, I know Troy Polamalu and Ben Rapistberger didn't finish their degrees until they were well into their professional careers, and at that point I'd imagine it was likely a matter of desiring education and wanting to have a bit on their resume once they can't play football anymore.

You can let the free market (ie. the NFL, without universities) deal with that.

It just seems a ridiculous thing to do when you already have a well established system with plenty of infrastructure and popularity to the level most minor league teams can't even dream of already established.

it's not rocket science teaching american football, christ, it's just a sport.

You'd be surprised.

IT WOULD TAKE EONS TO EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A 4-3 DEFENSE AND A 3-4 DEFENSE.

Or to explain the benefits/weaknesses between a cover 2/cover 3/cover 4

So how many Professional players have STEM degrees ?
It seems that soccer and American football have a lot in common with the lack of education among the players.
Reminds me of how proud Aussie League was to have ONE retired player becoming a doctor.

Why do you care about STEM in particular? I know Polamalu has a degree in history. Generally the academic interests of the athletes aren't discussed much.

Why do you care about STEM in particular? I know Polamalu has a degree in history. Generally the academic interests of the athletes aren't discussed much.

Because even though rugby has gone professional we still have a lot of players doing professional degrees.

It just seems a ridiculous thing to do when you already have a well established system with plenty of infrastructure and popularity to the level most minor league teams can't even dream of already established.

I'm a big supporter of abandoning sub-optimal status quos.

Significant short-term pain is worth enduring for marginal improvements over the long-term.

(This post typed on a Dvorak keyboard layout - I am realistic though, I probably won't ever get around to upgrading from Dvorak to QGMLWB.)

It appears that this idea is gaining steam. Here is a recent article in the Chronicle of Higher Education supporting the idea, from a professor at Florida State. A snippet:

An initial two years of basic studies await most freshmen upon entering the four-year college campus, and such is expected of student athletes as well. But at this point the hypocrisy surfaces. Athletes are obliged to identify a major course of study, and many are compelled to do so disingenuously. All too many young men either completely lack interest in the mandatory and largely arbitrary and convenient choice of major or, at best, are only marginally attracted to it. Their laserlike focus is upon football, basketball, or baseball. It is here where their most powerful and meaningful motivations lie.

After those first two years are completed, a realistic curriculum for a "sports performance major" might look something like this:

Junior year, first semester: anatomy and physiology; educational psychology (introduction to learning theory); laboratory in heavy resistance training; football, basketball, or baseball offensive strategies (scrimmage).
Junior year, second semester: introduction to sports psychology; introduction to physiology of exercise; laboratory in aerobic fitness training; elements of contract law; football, basketball, or baseball laboratory (scrimmage); health education.
Senior year, first semester: introduction to human nutrition; public speaking; football, basketball, or baseball laboratory (offensive and defensive strategies); introduction to sports coaching.
Senior year, second semester: introduction to motor learning; stress and performance; elements of business law; the body in motion (kinesiology).

Such prescribed coursework would be relevant to the athlete's career objectives. And those young men who enter collegiate sports with nonprofessional aspirations (there are some, to be sure) would certainly not be required to elect the football, basketball, or baseball major. They would be entirely free to elect any major of their choosing.

During the four semesters of coursework beyond basic studies, athletes would also be participating in seasonal, on-the-field practice in their respective sports. In addition, they would continue to participate in intercollegiate competition where they would apply skills and knowledge acquired from their various educational experiences. This would be analogous to what undergraduate musicians and theater students do. They study their craft and display their acquired skill before campus audiences.

Full article is here: http://chronicle.com/article/End-the-Charade-Let-Athletes/135894/

I'm starting a new project at my day job that will likely have me contacting at least 100 ex athletes (although not all at the D1 football level) about post-sports employment prospects. I'll see if this comes up at all.

Top Bottom