Should Bush pardon Lewis "Scooter" Libby?

Should Bush pardon Lewis "Scooter" Libby?

• Yes, immediatley

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Yes, right before Bush's term ends

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 41 71.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
On Tuesday, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, former aide to Vice President Cheney, was found guilty on counts of perjury, lying to the FBI and obstructing an investigation into the leak of a CIA operative, Valerie Plame, and faces up to 25 years in prison.

Should President Bush issue a pardon to Scooter Libby or not?

No, that man is tried as a criminal!

I trust he'll give that idea every bit as much thought and consideration as he gave to each execution in Texas.

if he does then he shouldnt be looking to spread justice in iraq till he can do it here first.

What happened to the guy that actually leaked the name?

What happened to the guy that actually leaked the name?

why does it matter?

libby committed a crime. why should he not be punished?

i see nothing about dropping the case right here.

I'm sure that the Bush administration is quite ready to let the issue drop, and a pardon would only serve to reignite controversy (while lowering his already abysmally low approval ratings). If Libby is pardoned, it'll be in a manner akin to Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich - at the very end of Bush's presidency.

Of course, I'd much prefer it if Libby is properly punished for his crime, because he's probably the only person who will be punished for Plamegate.

By pardoning ol' Scooter he would only sink his reputation even further.

Of course, it's so damn low already, maybe he doesn't care.

I'm torn on this one; I think crime should be punished, and that perjury is one of the worse crimes, but I also think the Administration "owes" Libby something for taking the hit for pretty much the rest of the Administration. I don't know enough about the crime, but I don't think Libby was really any more than just a pawn. Is there any way to pardon him down to a lesser sentence? Or is it all or nothing? Because no pardon at all is preferable to a full one, but I get the feeling that the White House screwed him over, so...

:undecide:

On the other hand, I despise pardons at the end of a term; it's ridiculous. Case in point: after working to prevail over an evil empire, President Reagan pardoned George Steinbrenner on the last day of his term.

But if President Bush is going to pardon the guy, he better wait until after the next president is elected.

I've stopped caring what Bush does. I'm just waiting for 2008. So my opinion of him can't drop that much lower. I would find a brazen -- to quote Dr. Dre -- I-just-don't-give-a-**** attitude hilarious.

I hope he does. I really do.

I've spent too much time being angry about things Bush did. My anger has changed nothing. I'm just waiting for 2008.

So my opinion of him can't drop that much lower. I would find a brazen -- to quote Dr. Dre -- I-just-don't-give-a-**** attitude hilarious.

I hope he does.

yeah, if he does then i think his approval ratings will drop.

and i fell no shame saying i love that with all my heart.

yeah, if he does then i think his approval ratings will drop.

and i fell no shame saying i love that with all my heart.

I need to edit faster.

What's it matter if his ratings drop? It changes nothing. He will not be impeached. Whoever runs for the GOP in '08 won't have campaign stops with Bush regardless of a pardon.

What's it matter if his ratings drop? It changes nothing. He will not be impeached. Whoever runs for the GOP in '08 won't have campaign stops with Bush regardless of a pardon.

It doesn't matter for him, but if there's a "purge the party" attitude, President Bush pardoning Mr. Libby could just be another hurdle for the Republican candidate.

But you're right, even if there isn't a single person behind him, he's still the president until January 2009.

Do pardons only void him of the responsibility of receiving the sentence, keeping the criminal record, or is it all completely wiped?

I need to edit faster.

it's a small victory in my mind. nothing more, nothing less.

but i think the lower his approval is, the more distaste for someone like him people will have.

Do pardons only void him of the responsibility of receiving the sentence, keeping the criminal record, or is it all completely wiped?

It would let him avoid receiving the sentence. A pardon is basically forgiving a person for the crimes they commited, so accepting a pardon is addmitting guilt.

It would let him avoid receiving the sentence. A pardon is basically forgiving a person for the crimes they commited, so accepting a pardon is addmitting guilt.

why should he not get sentenced?

why should he not get sentenced?

Because he doesn't deserve to take the fall for this, when he is just an aide following orders from his bosses. Bush should pardon him and face whatever political consequences may occur. The Bush Administration is using him as a sacrificial lamb, which isn't right.

Hell no! Why should he get off? He shouldn't. Let the bastard rot in, whatever senntence they gave him

Because he doesn't deserve to take the fall for this, when he is just an aide following orders from his bosses. Bush should pardon him and face whatever political consequences may occur. The Bush Administration is using him as a sacrificial lamb, which isn't right.

then who goes up to the chopping block in your mind?

Top Bottom