1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Civfantatics continue to remain neutral ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by evrett37, Oct 25, 2010.

?

Should CivFanatics be more pro-active and take a stand ?

1. Yes

35.0%
  2. No

65.0%
  1. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

I feel that civ 5, while possessing worthwhile traits, has serious flaws.

I feel that many of these flaws are products of the individuals involved in the management, development, and testing of the game.

I feel that most productive thing a fan of the game could do right now is to
    promote a change in the people and culture surrounding the game.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to do this would be to use the position this website as as the largest fan community to publicly shame them into change. At the very least it would promote dialog which is non existant atm.

Vote yes to be a proactive fan of civ instead of the do-nothing disorganized whining that is going on now

2. Ighten

Ighten Chieftain

If it removes the milion and one whine threads and replaces them with an organized whine thread and also threads that actually contribute to civ 5 fine I'll support it..

But its not official so in effect your just adding yet another whine thread

3. C~G

C~G Untouchable

As a forum/community NO but if you are meaning some fans of this community YES.

4. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I don't understand the question. Some people like the game, some not. It's a normal thing and an entire community-driven site taking a stand seems ridiculous.

5. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

So basically, you're saying that you want the entire CFC website to be converted into a platform for communicating your own personal opinion about a video game?

How exactly do you plan to implement this, given that many people here enjoy Civ 5?

What is your platform? What methods will you use to bring about your public shaming of Firaxis and 2K Games?

I await your thoughts on this most serious of issues. Thank you.

6. Jharii

Jharii King

I think the avatar speaks volumes of the intentions.

7. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

My conviction that you should receive a lifetime ban from this forum has reached new heights.

You want Civfanatics to take an "official" stance? Of course they will remain neutral, and the fact that you can imagine it any other way is a window into your demented and twisted frame of reference.

Some of the moderators disagree with you. What are we going to make of that? Or should they be purged as well? I'm afraid that I not only disagree with your specific suggestions, but the entire spirit behind them as well.

Civfanatics should remain an orderly place of discussion and even (civil) disagreement. It should not have threads like this one in it at all.

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

As much as I would really like to vote yes, I'm afraid I have to agree with 'Jay here. If you would have drawn up a well reasoned synopsis, followed with a viable action plan, and then give what your expectations are afterwards, then I might change my vote.
    Look bro, I agree with a majority of your viewpoints ( while not necessarily your context or the way you present them) and would love to see 2k to out right admit that they hosed up.
    But asking a neutral web site to change it's stance without a solidified plan of action first just doesn't seem feasible. It would take away (IMO) the very essence of what CFC stands for. I could go on, but you get the general idea. Just felt you deserved the reason why I voted no. Peace.

9. C~G

C~G Untouchable

10. AlpsStranger

There is no irony. I never asked for anything other than civility and actual discussion. I was, in fact, demanding precisely that Civfanatics be neutral.

There is absolutely no contradiction or hypocrisy unless you still insist on shoving me into a "pro-Civ5" box and calling it a day.

Allowing a madman like Evrett37 to speak his mind does nothing but prove that you can do anything you want on this forum. He doesn't have a point of view that exists within the stratosphere.

We're talking about someone who makes a constant allusion to violence and sending a message. I'm very upset that the moderators have allowed this to go on as long as they have. Evrett37 has nothing useful to contribute to this forum and the sun will shine a bit brighter on the fine day that the moderators decide they've had enough of his ranting.

Moderator Action: Please don't comment on specific members in such a way, PM a mod if you have a complaint or issue you'd like addressed. Thanks. :)
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

There would be no point to CFC becoming "officially" hostile to Firaxis. They'd just cut themselves off.

I think the obvious hostility of a large number of the members is quite sufficient.

12. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

You go on ahead, I will get the molotovs, tovarisch. See you on the eve of revolution!

13. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Yes! The oppressors cannot hold us under their thumbs any longer!! They will pay for their crimes! :lol:

14. sosueme

sosueme Muckraker

Why would they? They have nothing to gain. Having multiple views represented generates more discussion. More discussion generates more page views. More page views generates more ad revenue

15. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Evrett, I'm not sure if you're agitating for the sake of agitating, or if Sid Meier's dog once pooped on your lawn and you're just totally fixated on bloody revenge. In any case, the act had grown old weeks ago already, really.

Regarding the question, obviously CivFanatics should not "take a stand" since the community is pretty much divided 50:50 over the quality of Civ5. This is an alarmingly low success rating for a freshly released game, but it also means that CivFanatics cannot take a stand (even if several community members wanted to), since CivFanatics as an entity has no consensus about Civ5, actually there's not even a majority for one of the two opposing opinions in sight.

You're of course free to take a stand yourself on your blog, facebook page, twitter account, or any other soapbox you can find (not that you seem very selective in that regard). You're also free to petition the UN, or take Firaxis to the International Criminal Court or the Court of Human Rights, or ask the leaders of the five world religions to collectively condemn the centre of the world's evil in Hunt's Valley, Maryland - but could you please stop spamming Civfanatics with 1001 variations of the very same thing?

16. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

Yeah, I haven't been around here long enough to know if you're serious in your anger, or if it's a sort of 'ironic' fake-posting to stir the pot or whatever, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're sincere, and so will I be.

As a serious bit of constructive criticism, evrett37, you might want to consider starting a blog with a discussion section or a forum.

You could explain your ideas in a column, and have other posters from this forum also write columns detailing their grievances. It would be a site specifically dedicated to rallying support to push for a change.

I know it's really appealing to begin from an established and recognized platform like this forum, but it's also very problematic to sort of hijack an existing group. If you did that, I can assure you, a lot of posters would probably leave this forum or become less involved. This is a case where it'd probably be best to start something of your own.

17. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Really ?
    I was under the impression that you love the game.

Nah he's funny, I don't think there is a single person who takes him seriously, but he always gives me a good laugh :D

18. AlpsStranger

I would agree with you entirely if it was based just on this post. Some of his older posts, however, have definitely implied the use of violence. This changes the tone quite a bit I think.

19. Ray Patterson

Ray Patterson the dude is not in

Not officially, no. It doesn't fit the history and the role of Civfanatics as a website. I think overall people here have successfully created a platform for all opinions on Civ V, and that's how it should stay.

However... I am surprised how negative most of the opinions are on here. I mean I agree, but I didn't think I'd find so many people that also don't like it. Some sort of organization would be justified, but not through Civfanatics itself.

What could happen, and it seems already is happening through polls and collected posts, is to put together input from many people. Civfanatics is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Civilization websites, so the discussions here should matter to Firaxis, and a summary of them would be very influential probably. However, to stay that relevant it would not make sense to have an actual official opinion of Civfanatics.

20. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

I know these forums aren't supposed to degenerate into talking about other people and are supposed to discuss the topics themselves.....but yeah, these threads are getting pretty old. There's been like dozens of these types of threads over the last few months, whether it's banning 2K Elizabeth from the forums, boycotting the game over "hate speech" (good luck finding any), removing the Civ V purchase links from the site, and now this.....

Anyway, the forums have enough negativity, the site itself doesn't have to do the same thing. There's people here who actually like the game. Change the website and make it anti-Civ V/Anti-2K/ Anti-Firaxis, and it's only likely to reduce the number of people here, not increase it. It'd just alienate a segment of the fanbase.