Should civIV have 3D leaderheads

Well?

• Total voters
There's a couple good reasons NOT to have 3D leaderheads:

- a 2D graphic is lighter, takes up less space
- a 2D graphic is easier to produce by modders and developers

Less space and less effort means more room for other features.

I don't mind eitherway. However, if Firaxis choose to use 2D leaderheads in Civ4, some people may see it as a step backward from Civ3.

Anyone miss the Civ2-style 3D diplomacy? I haven't played Civ2 in years but still remember the Mongol ambassador who took out a knife, howling, and threaten to destroy my empire. :D

I definitely would not miss them. I don't mind them now but for mods and such they are VERY big and it is very difficult to get the same quality for the different ones. So I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

I would prefer if the gfx people spent that time doing either extra units ( !!!!) or other on map gfx, or maybe council members (different for each ethnic group) but that is also not so important.

This is a big thing to me. I hope they improve the quality and stop making goofy looking leader heads. It really sets the tone for the game. I don't care if they are 2d or 3d as long as the quality gets better.

Thunderfall said:
Anyone miss the Civ2-style 3D diplomacy? I haven't played Civ2 in years but still remember the Mongol ambassador who took out a knife, howling, and threaten to destroy my empire. :D

I don't remember what kind of diplomacy is in civ 2, but I've heard that it was better...

Anyway, I don't even watch or look at the leaderheads that often, so I have no problem with leaving them out...

for me i would love to see the leaderheads more or less the same as in civ3 but with more facial expressions to show their moods ie giving them gifts would make them smile bt if u giv them a gift when they dont like u then they give u a slight hacky look as if to say "what are u up to?" 3D or 2D doesnt really matter to me but id want stalin back to!! :d

Other: Only if it does not take away from imporved AI, and other more impressive features like regions, mutlifaceted dimplomacy, etc.

This would be a good think to add in an expansion pack, after core stuff was perfected.

I voted other, since I didn't understand what you want to say. If you mean animated leaderheads, definitely yes, it adds greatly to the game. I think with the progress of technologies used they could make it work just fine.

If you mean they'd have to look like the previews of the unit art(=crappy), definitelly not. I'm playing a game and hand-drawn looking art looks best to my eyes and it's a dying art, so I want to see them in my favourite games.

They should be upgraded too, including more expressions, if possible. Possibly, clothing upgrades, different at times of war, peace, scientific revolution, etc(and then back to normal), would be good.

I really liked the 3d-leaders from Civ2, so I voted "yes". Additionally, I don't mind to install from 2 cds in case of space limitations. Modern hds should offer enough space to have good 3d leaders.
I agree though that this could limit the stream of new leaders from the modding community (just a guess, don't know how difficult this may be)

Thunderfall said:
Ditto! :D

I miss that from Civ2, it was a step back in Civ3. But what I miss the most is the animated Advisors, especially the Millitary guy! :lol:

People talk about memory hogs and what-not, but I mean someday you have to give up your 386 for a 486 :crazyeye:

I actually quite like the Bosch influenced style of Civ3 and I don't need them to go 3D to like them more. The 'cartooniness', as some people call it, is an extension of the Tower of Babel style and I like it. Shopping around for leaderheads on the C&C forum, I definitely don't like the more realistic renditions and the photographic leaderheads jar with the general artwork of Civ3. If this means lumping for 2D then fine.

I'd also vote for 2D if it meant they can focus more on new units, features, dynamics.

What I do mind is 2D leaderheads that twitch. Do 2D well and I'd be completely happy with it.

But overall the important thing is consistency for me. So I vote other.

dont matta' much to me, but I would prefer 3d Lead-heads

I perfer having 2D leaderheads. Being that the game will be a fixed 3D game. I beleve there should be attempts to ensure that the HD is not stressed while playing.

I say flags myself. It makes modding and addition of new civs MUCH easier, yet still looks really good-as attested by many of the Civ3 Conquest scenarios (in fact, I preferred them to the games with Leaderheads in them :)!)

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

we need to mix the civ3 leaderhead with the civ2 ambassador diplomacy...

...anyways who cares about that!? we need those live action advisors! come on! who didn't laugh when they clicked the culture advisor and he did his little elvis impression!? or hearing the drunken yells of the military advisor?

Top Bottom