1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should conscription create recon line units?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by DarkZero, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Should conscription create recon line units?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. joosegoose25

joosegoose25 King

Never been a big fan of getting scout units. Also, is there any way coastal cities could sometimes spawn naval units? What about militaristic city-states for that matter?

2. Funak

Funak Deity

This does happen, quite a lot actually.

cammcken and vyyt like this.
  3. Zarrk

Zarrk Chieftain

State of my current game: 6 coastal cities, first conscription give me 5 Spearman and 1 Trireme and the second 1 Swordman, 1 Pikeman and 4 Explorers (didn't unlock better ships). Alliance with Belgrade (coastal too) gave me 1 Spearman and 2 Horseman. Pretty representative of most of my games I would say.

So "quite a lot" is more like "eventually" in my experience. I would gladly welcome the removal of recon units from conscription and a increase from naval units.

Bromar1 likes this.
  4. Funak

Funak Deity

So you mean it happened in your game? That's 100% trigger rate so far in that case.

5. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

That's one of the reasons why I don't take conscription and instead rather leave the authority tree incomplete.

6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I've considered conscription to be a bad policy for a long time. The usual rebuttal is that worst case, you just gift the units. But you can't gift scouts.....

vyyt and LukaSlovenia29 like this.
  7. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

Agreed, CrazyG. Luckily, it's not blocking an important social policy and the authority finisher isn't that good either, so I rather take something else.

vyyt likes this.
  8. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Those free conscripts end up just garrisoning the city for the extra happiness and culture, so it doesn't matter what kind of units they are anyway.
    Later you want better units to increase town defence more to combat crime, but by that time the city will have spawned another free unit which can replace the recon.
    Getting recons is not desirable, but it never affected me much.

9. Robertm94

Robertm94 Chieftain

Personally, i consider conscription to be a very good policy in theory

It constantly gives you units so you can focus production on other things.

However, i feel it would be much better if you could choose what units you got (resources permitting)

give each unit a cooldown similar to the shoshone goody hut and it fixes a lot of the problems with the policy without it being too broken (IE just spam the most resource expensive unit over and over).

bigcat88 likes this.
  10. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

This solution sounds like it would take a lot of coding work...

But I agree with whoever said it above, a 3 melee / 2 ranged /1 scout ratio sounds good. Although it excludes naval.

I don't know why ranged are left out of the mix. Bows are cheap, (for realism), and in-game most of my melee units come out of a single, Heroic Epic / Alhambra city anyway. Conscripted melee are just cannon fodder or garrisons.

I always believed, but cannot confirm, that CS gifts, and possibly conscription too, tries to give you as a balanced military possible, using the same ratio that AI follow when deciding build orders. Whenever I get siege, it's when I have <3 siege units already. I often get ships from conscription when my navy looks skimpy, and I do notice that island maps often conscript more ships than continents, almost a 1:1 ratio with spears.

11. HunHarcos

HunHarcos Chieftain

Oh man, I just received 4/4 scouts for my first constription. I just could not beleive it. :crazyeye: Voted 'no' instantly. I have 5-22 version I think. I will see soon whether they not that bad in combat.