Should crack cocaine be legalized for recreational use?

Should crack cocaine be legalized for recreational use?

• Total voters
I have a question: If cocaine was completely legalised and registered distributors sold it to the public, would there be any demand for crack cocaine? Isn't crack cocaine just the "cheap alternative"?

Kind of like the way dangerous speakeasy stills are gone since prohibition ended in the US?

There would still be demand. Crackheads like their crack. There are still some moonshiners, and making crack is pretty damn easy, easier than distillation. Crackheads might just make their own crack.

I have a question: If cocaine was completely legalised and registered distributors sold it to the public, would there be any demand for crack cocaine? Isn't crack cocaine just the "cheap alternative"?

Kind of like the way dangerous speakeasy stills are gone since prohibition ended in the US?

People still make moonshine..and it is plenty dangerous...

People still make moonshine..and it is plenty dangerous...

You need to consider the proportion of people who make their own compared to those who buy it properly. It's legal, and not too terribly difficult, to brew your own beer and wine, and most people don't bother with that since they can just buy it at the store. I mean, in America, we don't even bother making our own soup anymore.

There would still be demand. Crackheads like their crack. There are still some moonshiners, and making crack is pretty damn easy, easier than distillation. Crackheads might just make their own crack.

But would it lead to more crackheads? Legalisation of coke would not be too bad if it didn't lead to a rise in demand and use of crack.

Nothing like meth. It's about as dangerous as frying bacon.

Ah, I still think it should be illegal, but I don't see the point of prison time if you are not selling. Fines + rehab will probably be more effective.

Then again, it's pretty hypocritical of me........ I dunno.

But would it lead to more crackheads? Legalisation of coke would not be too bad if it didn't lead to a rise in demand and use of crack.

I don't believe it would. Anyone who says they know for sure is lying, since it hasn't happened.

I doubt that legalizing cocaine would lead to more crackheads. It's arguable whether it would lead to more cokeheads, but I really don't see a scenario where we'd end up with more crackheads. Crack sucks.

You need to consider the proportion of people who make their own compared to those who buy it properly. It's legal, and not too terribly difficult, to brew your own beer and wine, and most people don't bother with that since they can just buy it at the store. I mean, in America, we don't even bother making our own soup anymore.

"Moonshine, sometimes referred to by the slang terms "busthead" or "popskull", continues to be produced in the U.S., mainly in Appalachia.[28] The product is often called "white lightning" because it is not aged and is generally sold at high alcohol proof, often bottled in canning jars ("Mason jars", see photo). A typical moonshine still may produce 1000 gallons per week and net $6000 per week for its owner."

It's not legal in MY state...to my knowledge..unless i'm completely confused. (which happens. :crazyeye:)

Edit- upon further reading- "Although home distillation of ethanol for commercial purposes is still illegal in the United States, legislation was introduced, but failed to pass in November 2001 to legalize home distillation in much the same way as home brewing of wine and beer were legalized in 1978"

"Moonshine, sometimes referred to by the slang terms "busthead" or "popskull", continues to be produced in the U.S., mainly in Appalachia.[28] The product is often called "white lightning" because it is not aged and is generally sold at high alcohol proof, often bottled in canning jars ("Mason jars", see photo). A typical moonshine still may produce 1000 gallons per week and net $6000 per week for its owner."

It's not legal in MY state...to my knowledge..unless i'm completely confused. (which happens. :crazyeye:)

Edit- upon further reading- "Although home distillation of ethanol for commercial purposes is still illegal in the United States, legislation was introduced, but failed to pass in November 2001 to legalize home distillation in much the same way as home brewing of wine and beer were legalized in 1978"

So what's the proportion?

So what's the proportion?

Pretty darn small, i admit. I only know 3-4 moonshiners. But still, i only know several dozen drinkers well enough...so small data set.

Yes but only after a large tax is imposed on it.

Because demand for cocaine and other drugs is inelastic the govmint could stand to make big $$$$$ out of this as well as reducing the crime associated with illegal drug gangs. Getting the feds to turf out the drug lords would be funny as hell to see as well.

Crack and cocaine shouldn't be legalized, although I agree that decriminalization on the federal level is acceptable. A person shouldn't go to jail for using a dangerous and addictive substance on himself.

Also, crack and cocaine should both carry the same sentence. Crack is just a more addictive cocaine for the poor. :p

Crack is a by-product of the drug war... Traffickers went to more easily hidden and profitable drugs like heroin and cocaine because of the war on pot. Funny how that works... Oh, and to combat crack cocaine, Reagan, Congress, and many states increased penalties for adult "traffickers" and dealers. What do you suppose happened? Minors were recruited into the illegal drug trade to avoid the harsher penalties and juvenile crime rates exploded as big city coastal gangs spread across the country.

No. Drugs should be legal, so they can be supervised and to underscore the criminality associated with they're being illegal. What people do to "free their minds" (or mess up their life) is a matter of personal choice and responsibility; the law has no business with such private matters.

Crack cocaine is one of the most addictive drugs you can get - which is why it fs up so many lives. (in order to 'recreate' that awesome original high, you have to take more and more and more...)

It just isn't comparable at all to softer drugs, like mj or alcohol.

On one hand I believe that people should be able to injest whatever the hell they want into their bodies.. On the other, this stuff is just far too addictive & potent to be of any value to society - legal or not.

most alcohol / marijuana users are casual (ie. they aren't alcoholics or drug addicts). Most crack users get hooked and f up their lives. That is the difference.

What he said.

Warning: Smoking crack will turn you into this {picture of Marion Berry, ex-mayor of Washington}
That as a warning will work on anybody.

Top Bottom