Should DRM be banned?

Tommy Vercetti

The Don
Should governments ban the use of DRM restrictions? I feel DRM violates consumers rights. If lets say the US Government bans DRM, it would put a stop to DRM since the US is such a big market for tech products. An international treaty banning DRM would be even better. As a Conservative I generally dislike Government regulations but here it is protecting peoples rights and I am all for more personal freedom.

Nobody is forcing you to buy DRM products. Feel free to go for those cool open source programs.

You can have a non-free open source project with DRM. :mischief:

But are those programs cool?

Whilst I'm fine with online authentication, its not particularly good if the software requires the game to be constantly connected to the internet (for a non multiplayer game) and limiting the number of installations over the lifetime of the purchase is questionable as well.

Problem is, how do you define DRM? Steam might be considered DRM, but I don't want to see Steam banned.

Always online DRM is also annoying for stuff that does not need the internet to function. What happens if my internet goes out then that means I can't use that program even though it can be used online. Especially annoying for games with single player mode as well as multiplayer.

Always disc in drive DRM is also annoying for stuff that doesn't need the disc to function. What happens is every time my internet is working then that means I can't use that program without the disc even though it works fine without the disc. Especially annoying for any game.

Also I didn't bother to buy a disc/dvd drive for my build because honestly, who uses dvds/discs anymore?

Non-intrusive DRM is fine with me. My only issue with DRM is the software that limits the number of installs, but has no clear/easy way of determining what I have already installed it on. For example for years iTunes has let you authorize your entire music library of purchased music on up to 5 computers. But you cannot individually turn on/turn off which computers are authorized. All you can do is wait for all 5 to be used up and then reset the whole system back to 0.

On the other hand Amazon sells some ebooks that can only be used on a certain number of kindle devices. But it is very clear which ones are authorized. I can go into my Amazon account and turn off the authorization on my iPad, phone, kindle, etc, if I need to download the book on a new device.

The only DRMs that I'd like to see banned are ones that have a set limit of installs, needs a constant Internet connection that requires the DRM to "phone home" at each run (I put Steam as the exception since at least it has an offline mode), and ones that can mess up your system (I've heard certan ones can mess up CD drivers, especially if you have multiple ones).

Pretty much anything that collects your computer's information and requires contact with an authority to function is DRM.

Also I didn't bother to buy a disc/dvd drive for my build because honestly, who uses dvds/discs anymore?
True story, when I put my PC together in Feb 2010, I forgot to hook up the DVD drive to the PSU. I literally didn't notice until Oct 2012, when I tried to play a DVD on it and it wouldn't eject.

I can't remember the last time I opened my dvd drive. I think it was when I installed Windows.

I can't remember the last time I opened my dvd drive. I think it was when I installed Windows.

every other day when either football manager or civ3 goes in there.

OT:
I installed Red Alert 2 AT LEAST and without exaggerating about 2 dozen times by now. I just love that game.
Then RA3 came out and I was, of course, interested.
Then I read the DRM, which limited the amount of installs to 3. I kid you not; you could only install the game 3 times. Why the hell would I buy that? If you wanted more installs you had to call a service desk. I kid you not. Then, after some protest, they upped it to 5 installs, because... no one knows what the hell they were thinking by this time.
I sent an email and explained that a pirated version had unlimited installs. They said that when I pirated, I didn't own the game. I explained that after 3 installs I didn't own the game either.
Obviously, I downloaded the game, played it for 2 levels and found out that they stripped it of all fun. "Go there, do that, watch cut scene".

It has become FUBAR.
I don't think DRM should be illegal, but I just know that with all the DLC, DRM and other crap, I just don't buy new games. I think the game makers are shooting themselves in the foot. I don't even like the games anymore.
It has become a medium for ******s. Not the 'you can't say that word, it's offensive' ******s, I seriously think it's become for people who could medically be labeled as mentally ******ed.

Top Bottom