1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should happy citizens be whipped for vital infrastructure?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by salty mud, Nov 14, 2020.

1. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Would you whip happy citizens to get out your vital city infrastructure, for example monument, granary, barracks if performing a rush? Or is it better practice to only whip unhappy citizens?

2. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

Completely depends on the tiles worked by those citizens. Truly great resource tiles that can't be temporarily claimed by another city should not be whipped away.

salty mud likes this.
  3. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I would interpret "truly great" as gold or wet corn. I wouldn't feel quite so sorry to give up a cow tile. :lol:

4. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

I would need to have a very compelling reason to whip away a pastured cow (6 yield tile!).

lymond likes this.
  5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Depends somewhat on the need and the tiles whipped, but I'll frequently whip away "happy" citizens. 4>2 for example is common, especially when rushing with Axes or HAs. May also then whip it quite harshly so it builds up 2-3 angry faces from whip anger counter. But it's imperative to get out enough units, and FAST. Whip + Chop + Repeat in all (or most) cities.

If a monument is truly required, it can be 2>1 whipped. Same with a granary. It depends on available tiles and if you for example end up working unimproved ones it's an easy decision to whip stuff like that.

Just keep in mind more long term targets as well, like stuff unlocked from future technologies. Maybe you want to prepare a 6>3 whip of a library for example?

6. shpeka

shpeka Warlord

It is a no brainer. A clear "YES".
    I would always whip a granary, unless there is a possible chop available. During military buildup even more "YES". Everything with the probable exception of a bureaucratic capital is whipped as fast as possible.

7. coanda

coanda Emperor

I'd whip a monument if I needed the border pop for a much better tile than whatever I was happily working now.

I'd whip a granary... almost any time, really. Maybe not whipping away a 5- or 6-yield tile, and there is the occasional city which is so limited in its prospects that granary is literally not worth it, but if the city wants a granary I'll whip it as soon as I finish working all the really good tiles.

It's extremely rare for me to whip away a useful tile for a barracks. Unlike the core of your attack plan - your horse archers, catapults, cuirassiers, whatever - the barracks is not tech or resource limited. You can start them before the rest of the military production ramp-up, while you're waiting for whatever it is you need to make the actual units you're going to fight with. Which means whipping them is generally not a priority, because taking a turn or two longer on making them simply means you start a turn or two earlier, not that you delay your attack an extra turn or two.

8. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

You can get great overflow from whipping barracks. The xp into new units can help too.

Granary is the bread and butter of every city and gives instant payback.

Whole point is to whip away pop to speed up builds/units. Cities grow back quicker when below size 6.

Overall where you have food it's well worth whipping for key builds and units. Every game is different and whipping should be based around optimal game play.