1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should have pre-ordered in Australia

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Selous, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Selous

Selous King

Just like the title said, damn it, should have pre-ordered yesterday

The price yesterday was $50 US and now $89.99 US :mad:

I was dwelling as to get it now or not, wondering if it was a mistake price or if "they" had come to there senses as to global pricing
    guess that is a big no on the global prices thing and poor old selous has missed out on a "good" deal :cry:

damn you Firaxis, damn you

2. Liex

Liex King

When BNW was released to pre-order, it was only US$ 2.00 in Brazil. Later they corrected it to US$ 29.99 or something.

Now ask me how much I paid... :(

3. Oridan

Oridan Chieftain

Is 89.99 normal for a video game in Australia?

Ouch.

4. fanie

fanie Chieftain

Just paid us 89.95 ($A100+) I think this stinks. Steam offered it for $49 on special, but when I ordered it changed to 89.95 when Australia became my residential address.

5. Nares

Nares Emperor

Does this have something to do with some sort of Australia-specific taxation?

6. Dargoth

Dargoth Warlord

No its just the general rip off that is Australian retail

Books, Games and electronics are the worst products

Most games cost over are 89-100 Australian dollars consoles games are ussually an extra 10-20 more ontop of that

Today the exchange rate is 1.07 AUD to the USD and its been around that level for the last few years infact at one stage it was round the other way. Theres no justification for 80-100% mark up

7. Ktane

Ktane Chieftain

Nope, just straight price gouging which us Ausies call "The Australia Tax". Historically there may have been a reason why we paid more, we're out of the way, low population, high distance between cities etc. However in the days of digitally delivered services, in particular when the PC games market is 85%+ digital as of last year (no need to protect bricks and mortar anymore) it's blatant price gouging.

Our previous government held an inquiry with public hearing and ordered Microsoft, Adobe, Apple etc. to appear before. The results were:
    http://www.aph.gov.au/parliamentary...atives_committees?url=ic/itpricing/report.htm

"In many cases Australians pay 50 to 100 per cent more for the same product."

Nothing's been done lawwise since except for our current government looking to sign the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) IP treaty which would lock that discrimination in for all time :/

So we work around it... Neflix currently has 200,000 Aus subscribers even though they haven't release in Aus yet because our pay TV option Foxtel is a Rupery Murdock owned monopoly (similar to Comcast in that respect). (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/07/how-many-people-use-netflix-in-australia/)

Unfortunately we can't do this on steam as each game is locked to an account and if you do anything to bypass geograpic restrictions they cancel your entire account for breaching TOS. I'm speaking from experience, tried to buy Civ 5 for my sister using a VPN and US address (CC was mine, used my street address & US post code) and had my $3-4000 steam account of 4 years locked.

Only way around it now is cdkey sites but we miss out on pre-order bonuses & it takes time. Not to mention some of them are dodgy.

Back to topic: We're (us and Kiwi's) are now charged 80% more for Civ Beyond Earth than the $50 everyone else pays.
    http://www.steamprices.com/au/app/65980/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth

8. JokerJace

JokerJace Prince

I was always pissed that Europeans pay 25% more than Americans, since the $ and € prices usually have the same number to them. But this is harsh. I feel you Australia.

9. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

For at least one thing, video games, the UK has some of the best prices around. Only £25 for this game!

10. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

Its the same (albeit not that blatant) here in Europe, because according to steam and publishers 1 US$ seems to correspond 1 €. Must have something to do with the knowledge ecomomy, the US is so proud of. Nice try, but your trade deficit still sucks as bad as ours.

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I honestly think the only thing that will change the "Australia tax" is the death of brick and mortar game stores. They're the reason online distributors raise their prices - to ensure those who do still have to worry about shipping, etc. are not at a competitive disadvantage. Although my understanding is there are some other reasons (such as government regulation) that affect the price as well. If my memory is correct, it's extremely complicated.

12. vahouth

vahouth Prince

Do people in New Zealand pay the same price as in Australia?

13. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Ouch!

14. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

Nah. That's not the reason. It's just greed. End of story. A monopoly situation and freedom to exploit it. There's no reason that a bricks and mortar shop in Oz cannot compete with 50 US. Seriously.

The only thing that causes prices to drop is competition -and there isn't any in Oz. In my country, an EU country where we don't use Euros. But Steam makes me pay the 50 Euro price. I can buy a boxed copy 30 percent cheaper than that from a bricks and mortar shop. It actually comes to about 45 US.

The reason? The competition here is piracy. The word that shall not be named. The country I live in has A LOT of it. Rampant. And the game publisher here, a Polish company which I believe is also connected to GoG and the Witcher, but don't quote me on that, knows that they won't sell a single copy unless they sell at a cheaper price than Steam sets. Hence, I can buy it for 45 dollars.

The maths is simple. An EU company is able to produce boxed copies and distribute them across the Eastern EU countries and make a profit at a price LESS than the US Steam price. Of course- it's not allowed to distribute to countries West of the old Berlin Wall. That's sewn up by the games publishers and the price is fixed there at a higher price.

It makes me pretty angry.

Anyhow, there is some small good news in this for citizens of the EU - there is actually potential for competition. There are a bucket load of internet shops in my country, CZ, where you can order the game and they post it to you. As far as I understand EU law, I don't think they can region lock a game bought in one country in the Eu from another country in the EU. But don't quote me on that.

This is a list of them and the price that they offer the game at:

http://hry-pro-pc.heureka.cz/civilization-beyond-earth/

Of that list I can recommend JRC and Game Express as being reliable. I've no idea if they will send a game to Germany, France or whereever, but if you send an email to their contact email address, and ask in English, someone might answer...and who knows, you might not have to deal with the price fixing monopoly.

OF course, a game bought here won't work n OZ----which just seriously sucks and my heart bleeds for you guys.

15. GeorgePatton

GeorgePatton Chieftain

In Australia the minimum wage is 15 dollars an hour. Stop your complaining.

16. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Oh silly me! I knew this economics degree was ultimately going to be proven fruitless. I should have just learnt all my knowledge from friendly internet users.

FYI, when the comparative and relative cost of living is 30% Cheaper in the states it doesn't always balance out.

17. Ktane

Ktane Chieftain

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/rising-price-of-living-in-australia-20130426-2ik16.html

Our min wage needs to be that high so people can eat... the cost of living here is 59% higher than the US.

Both of those have nothing to do with the cost of buying a digitally delivered game from another county. Our sales tax is only 10% & I'd accept another 10% *margin*, but not 80%...

18. Acken

Acken Deity

59% wouldn't be a problem if everyone was paid 59% higher on average. But I don't believe that's the case in Australia.

Can't you just buy it elsewhere ? Since it's digital.

Aussies have been getting screwed for decades, I'd expect them to be masters of finding solutions to buy cheaper :p

19. Dale

Dale Deity

OzGameShop still has CivBE plus pre-order bonus for $47.

20. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

I have never used it before, is it any good?