Should I buy Civ5?

Wicked game, worth buying. Almost 1k hours into it and it shows no sign of getting old... not as many things to do as in Civ 4, but still a good game in its own right.

1000 hours!? Wow.
BTW had one of my first crashes today. Wouldn't be bad, except all the booting and loading of V takes about 10 minutes in total, and I don't want to waste my time.

I used to be a huge civ-fanatic, but now Paradox games get all my love. Bought CiV, but found it a waste of money.

Europa Universalis III with expansions is a masterpiece with immense depth and immersion.

I used to be a huge civ-fanatic, but now Paradox games get all my love. Bought CiV, but found it a waste of money.

Europa Universalis III with expansions is a masterpiece with immense depth and immersion.

I love EU3 and Divine Wind has been a lot of fun I agree. :)

That game just gets better and better. Love Paradox. :viking:

Oh and welcome to the forums. :D

100% agreed. Been playing EU3 (HTTT) nonstop lately.

I love EU3 and Divine Wind has been a lot of fun I agree. :)

That game just gets better and better. Love Paradox. :viking:

Oh and welcome to the forums. :D

Thanks, been lurking for a few years. Before that I was on Apolyton.

Paradox Interactive used to have great ideas, but poor execution and production values. But now since they have grown into a bigger company, things are different. The expansions of EUIII have turned into a really polished and well-balanced gem.

Every strategy gamer should try it out.

I am getting a new computer soon that will allow me to play Civ5. I have read the articles pro and con about Civ5, but still am unsure if it's worth the money.

My gut says buy it; I've played all the Civs since the beginning. However, I love Civ4 and would probably continue to play it anyway.

So, should I buy it?

I don't know, if you should buy the game, as many people used to civ4 don't like it too much. Most of them suggest, that it lacks depth.
What I know is, that I already got an adaquate for my money back. I already had fun with it, well worth the money I spent, but still own the game and while I get better my fun even rises. So I would always buy it once more, if I wouldn't have bought it already.

Civ 5 is possibly the worst waste of money I ever did on a PC game. My advice is simple. If you love the Civilizations series I suggest you not to buy Civ5.

I don't know, if you should buy the game, as many people used to civ4 don't like it too much. Most of them suggest, that it lacks depth.
What I know is, that I already got an adaquate for my money back. I already had fun with it, well worth the money I spent, but still own the game and while I get better my fun even rises. So I would always buy it once more, if I wouldn't have bought it already.
I love the humility that transpires from your post. Basically, you're saying "this thing worked for me". Now, if you could just add something to the effect of "but it may not necessarily be your cup of tea", and our friendship will be till death do us apart.

Europa Universalis III sound cool. But its an RTS, right? Does it have an option to make it turn based? I hate RTS's...

Europa Universalis III sound cool. But its an RTS, right? Does it have an option to make it turn based? I hate RTS's...

It is pausable. This makes it effectively a TBS if you want to pause after every day.

As mentioned by JohnnyW, it really isn't an RTS. You can change game speeds from extremely slow to extremely quick and you can pause it at any time. This effectively makes it a TBS rather than a RTS.

It definitely isn't a "whoever clicks fastest wins" type of game.

If you like immersion, depth and great re playability then you'll love EU3 with all its expansions.

I am getting a new computer soon that will allow me to play Civ5. I have read the articles pro and con about Civ5, but still am unsure if it's worth the money.

My gut says buy it; I've played all the Civs since the beginning. However, I love Civ4 and would probably continue to play it anyway.

So, should I buy it?

My response is a little late but I'm gonna say it anyway: I think it depends of what kind of Civ player you are.

I'm no hardcore player so I find Civ V kind of fun, but I'm also a very fast player and that game is so slow that I lost interest in it and I went back to Civ IV.

I've never bothered about the changes (1UPT, global happiness, etc) as I didn't want just a Civ IV 2, it's just that the pace of the game is not for my taste, there's just too much waiting between turns.

So I now I'm not being very helpful but it's all a matter of taste, obviously, so just try the demo or play the game with someone who owns it and make your own conclusions.

I'd buy it. At this stage, its my favorite Civ game. There are some problems you have to get around, bugs, stupid AI, etc. but I think this game is more "fun" than the others, despite what other people seem to think on here. The game is simpler, that's why i like it so far, it might not be as fun after i get about 20 plays in (im on my 6th game right now). The 1 UPT, hexagons, and social policies are fantastic. One thing they definitely did get right was the combat, it seems pretty well balanced, interesting, and just fun.

So, should I buy it?

Hell no.

As mentioned by JohnnyW, it really isn't an RTS. You can change game speeds from extremely slow to extremely quick and you can pause it at any time. This effectively makes it a TBS rather than a RTS.

It definitely isn't a "whoever clicks fastest wins" type of game.

If you like immersion, depth and great re playability then you'll love EU3 with all its expansions.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out then.

So, should I buy it?

I am a first time Civ owner. I love it ! I never played any others so I cannot compare it. I feel like I have lost my life after hours upon hours of battling Alexander and Oda. I do not listen too much to the nonsense discussed on the Board. You either like playing or you don't . Anything and everything can always be made better.

Good Luck.:crazyeye:

Definitely worth the money. Played Civ 5, never looked back to Civ IV. Currently playing a huge, marathon game on the Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack as England, and enjoying every second of it.

I can see how if you were a super hard core Civ 4 player that had to play on diety to have any fun, then you would find CiV a bit too light. And of course this probably is typical of a lot of folks on this forum... hence the general flaming on this site.

Other than that, i think you're good buying it and finding that you will enjoy it.

I can see how if you were a super hard core Civ 4 player that had to play on diety to have any fun, then you would find CiV a bit too light. And of course this probably is typical of a lot of folks on this forum... hence the general flaming on this site.

Other than that, i think you're good buying it and finding that you will enjoy it.

Yeah, that's why I tried to add that disclaimer earlier. I'm willing to bet that if I had never played Civilization a day in my life and picked up Civ V, I would be blown away.

But I have...and I wasn't.

Top Bottom