Should i buy civilization V

It is a fun game most of the time, and has it's strong points (most of the graphics is pretty good). But there are many issues still, and you can't be sure that they will be fixed fully.
I would wait until they lower the price again, $50 seems too much when there are many good alternatives.

If you like war games, then civ V is for you. Because, the wars are funny. This is the only good point. I loved civilizations games, and I try to be very patient with the V but enough is enough, I'm thinking to sell the game.

Because they is nothing good on the side of the diplomaty, even with the new patch of end 2010 (you can't almost never sign protection pacts, you can't exchange maps, you can't make a federation of the differents civs, when you are in a war you always have "friend" country troups that stop your walk just because they are here (and you can't say them)) etc.....)

About "building game", still nothing good: all takes a very very long time to build (many years for a library ?!). No fun at all.

About economy, nothing good. You control nothing (at all). It's simple.

About victories: there's no demographic, religious or geographic victory.... The only victories are "with an objective" (lanch a space ship, be the last with you capital, etc...). Not very realistic. And so, you don't have fun to build a big empire.

About configuration:I can play on maximum settings with all the recent games, but, ... it takes between 5 to 8 seconds each turn. If you agree to waste 5 to 8 seconds x 500 turns (approx), this should not be a problem.

About bugs or AI, there stil a lot to do... (suddenly "you" make peace with the country you could take the biggest city next turn (??!!), other country leaders are still psychopathes, you will never be friend with the bordering countries, etc..........)

My Birthday is coming up i was wondering is it worth buying civilization v
(I already have Civilization IV and expansions)

The short answer is : No.

If you want a longer analysis read this:
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

Then get a good grasp of the current state of this product here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404948

As far as I can tell, you have less than 50% chance of getting a good game experience, if the positive feedback on this forum is to be trusted, and 50% is not a good figure for any investment.

Base on my personal experience (I bought the game), you'll only get endless hours of frustration.

Should you buy the game : YES!

Should you play the game : NO!

Reason : Hopefully if enough buy the game there will be a Civ VI soon. Otherwise it could be the end of a genre. OTOH if enough buy it, Civ VI could turn into a Civ V.5 which would be a disaster.

Should you buy the game : YES!

Should you play the game : NO!

Reason : Hopefully if enough buy the game there will be a Civ VI soon. Otherwise it could be the end of a genre. OTOH if enough buy it, Civ VI could turn into a Civ V.5 which would be a disaster.

Errr... that's not a sane consumer behavior.

hey am I the only one here who's tired of topics like "CIV 4 or CiV", "Should I buy CiV", etc.
(no offence intended)

There are people who are about make a purchase decision and is asking for opinion inputs from others who have already bought it, so it's a valid topic. But I do think we should have one thread for it though, so it's not all over the place. Perhaps the moderators will consider?

I would say a definite yes.

I have played every Civ game sense the first one came out and I do enjoy Civ5 alot. This game is much different than Civ4 and thus your game strategy must change...unless you want the easy way out and just warmonger, which is fun.

I would suggest you download the demo first and gain your own opinion of the game. History has shown that there are always people that don't like every civ incarnation. And a search for civ2 vs civ3 or civ3 vs civ4 arguments will reveal similar themes to the "why to buy civ5" topic.

You're going to find a VERY divided opinion on this question here. Suffice to say a lot of people enjoy it and will say "yes!" and a lot of people don't like it, and will say "hell no!"

Why don't you give us some more information about yourself and what you enjoy in Civ games or other strategy titles. That might help the more sane responders give you some thoughtful feedback, rather than just manning the barricades for another showdown. ;)

No. You would be better off feeding your money to a dog. It would be more entertaining.

Try the demo on steam, as previously said you'l find divided opinion on it, i think the demo may help you decide more than anyone else's opinion, besides like any game it's not about how other people feel about it, it's how you yourself feel about it, and usually that means trying the game for yourself.

Give the demo a go :)

I agree ON PRINCIPLE that you should try the demo, but be forewarned that the demo will not expose the depth of the problem which is with this game.

I did get about 70~90 hours of enjoyment before it all turned to hell though. So you might consider that.

To the OP: you can see from this, that only 35% of Civ V customers decided to stick with it. Whether that says "No" to you, or whether you will take away something else from it, it's up to you.

Trying the demo might help you in your decision as well.

I would say no, not until the first expansion is released. There's not enough to do in the game apart from war.

To the OP: you can see from this, that only 35% of Civ V customers decided to stick with it. Whether that says "No" to you, or whether you will take away something else from it, it's up to you.

@OP: don't listen to the civ5 haters. There are so many trolls on this forum now that many of us who really enjoy civ5 have simply gone to other forums that encourage more adult discussions.

civ5 does have many issues, and it's definitely less "epic" than civ4. for me this was bad in that I really enjoyed the builder aspect of civ4, but good in that I also hate having to manage 40+ cities just to keep up with ai. typically a 10 city empire if well-developed will allow you to win on a standard map in civ5. the minimum computer specs are pretty high, and you probably want to be above that for a good gaming experience. I'd say that you want a c2d @ 3.0ghz or equivalent cpu and a modern gpu (probably 8800gt equivalent) as well to get optimal gameplay. overall I'd probably say that civIII and cIV are better games, but civ5 is still quite fun post patch. the earlier posters who recommended the demo had the right idea, if you like the demo then you'll like the game.

Top Bottom