1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should i buy it if i have these system specs...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kingdark, Dec 16, 2005.

1. kingdark

kingdark Chieftain

I dont know if this should by the tehnical forum but here goes...
    i have 512 mb ram
    athlon 2200 (xp)
    clock speed 1.6
    gforce 5200
    what do you people think?

2. calyth

calyth /bin/sh of a man

Try the demo. You can download it for free.
    My guess is that if your computer is stable and free of worms/spyware, it would get sluggish in a large/huge map from industrial age on.

3. ceiph

ceiph Chieftain

i have played the game on a similar sistem (same vid card lil bit higher xp model and same vid) it does work

4. Proteus

Proteus King

When I bought the game all I had to play for the first weeks was an AMD T-Bird 900 MHz w. 512 MB RAM and a Geforce 2 MX with 32 MB Graphics Mem.

The game run stable after I switched off the wonder movies (before it had sometimes CTDs and BSODs when displaying them) and the only problem was, that on large maps the more of the map was revealed, the longer it took my computer to calculate a turn (up to 15-20 mins during the industrial ages, whereas it took under a minute during the ancient/classical period)

Son´t know how it would have worked for smaller map sizes (I really like large mapüs ;) ), but I assume that it would have lowered the time to calculate a turn considerably.

So I think, give it a try. Perhaps Harkonnens inofficial patch (which wasn´t available during the time I had only the AMD 900 available) could also help to speed up the game for you ;)

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

The game will work reasonably well on a Pentium 2.8GHz, 512Mb RAM and GeForce 5200, so there's a good chance it will work on your setup.

6. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

The game should work, but it doesn't hurt to test the demo before, as there are still some unresolved technical issues. You probably have to buy more RAM if you want to play large or huge maps.

7. chan90

chan90 Chieftain

where is the demo available at?

8. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

9. kingdark

kingdark Chieftain

i tried the game of a friend of mine and the game is kinda slow... it takes kinda long to load the game and sometimes it just crashes when loading a scenario...any ideas?

10. Hardvark

Hardvark Warlord

I tried doubling my memory to 1.25Gb (double the recommended) and it's still sooooooo slow on a late game, large map that it's barely worth bothering. It's driving me mad, because it's a really great game and I don't want to spend my life stuck on standard maps! :confused:

11. kingdark

kingdark Chieftain

what are your system specs?

12. BlackMage

BlackMage Warlord

CPU speed is the determining factor in turn length. All the RAM in the world won't make your turns go by faster if you only have a 486...

13. Sorceresss

Sorceresss Witch

Ummm...A "Black Mage" : no less.

14. kingdark

kingdark Chieftain

i got 512 mb ram and 1.6 clockspeed
    (2200xp pro athlon)

15. thethiefbarabus

thethiefbarabus Chieftain

it really depends on the rig, mine couldn't play the game till Hark's memory patch and honestly, my rig should play ANYTHING at the highest levels, F.E.A.R looks sick, but turn based Civ 4 was crashing it...go figure...

16. kingdark

kingdark Chieftain

Verry strange

17. RX2000

RX2000 Prince

I have a pretty old system, a P4 1.5 ghz with 256 mb of ram and a ATI Radeon 9500 pro card.

Civ 4 does pretty well for me actually. I play on standard maps. It was chugging pretty bad in the industrial/modern age, but Hark's patch helped that out A LOT. It runs pretty smoothly now even in late modern.

I'm not sure how my comp would handle a huge map tho. I havent really tried it yet because truthfully huge maps are kind of a pain for me, I hate late game wars where you have to spend 20+ turns just sending your army across the map to GET to the war hehe.

But with Hark's patch I think I could probably play a huge map, but it would probably be pretty choppy and still take a while to load up.

18. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Um, yeah, like totally.

I have 512MB of 'old' ram (pc133), an Athlon 1900+, an ATI 8500LE and the game works GREAT on medium settings . . . especially with Harkonnen's memory fix.

19. kingdark

kingdark Chieftain

thats GREAT