1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Delevop Jungles?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by RacerX, Jul 5, 2011.

1. RacerX

RacerX Chieftain

I typically leave them alone since I get a +2 science boost from them as I recall. However, I wanted to see what others do with them to see if I can do something better with them. Thanks.

2. Brichals

Brichals King

You can put a trading post on them, 2 food, 2 coins and 2 beakers. It doesn't remove the jungle.

3. Keejus

Keejus Prince

I pretty much always trading post my jungles. Or plantation, if there're bananas

4. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

I kinda like to keep them as jungles, especially after the university drops. If they are resourced I chop but plain jungle stays plain jungle.

Late in the game when +2 :c5science: means little, I usually chop and trading post them.

It would be nice to see the +2 :c5science: be boosted when finding a later tech like Scientific Theory or Ecology or something like that so that having jungle science is viable into the mid and later game.

5. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

It's a weird tile. The 2 beakers makes it pretty much a no-brainer decision to keep them for later, although the AI always makes the wrong decision and destroys them. Also, plantation on banana is the only improvement that is worse than the unimproved tile (they even take away the 1 production from the base plains tile).

6. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

This doesn't make sense because you can trade post a jungle tile. 2:c5food:/2:c5science: is always better than 1:c5food:/1:c5production:. [Edit: OK, there are other reasons to chop, say if it is a river tile and there are no other river tiles to work, but I would never do it for the 1 :c5production:.]

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

You can always build a trading post without removing the jungle.
    Whether you want to remove the jungle is a judgement call depending on your priorities and where the jungle is. If it's on a river tile I often chop it an build a farm post Civil Service, if it's on a hill I'll consider how many hills or other high production tiles the city already has.
    If I'm playing Aztec I'm more inclined to keep the jungle for defensive purposes because Jaguars and their upgrades get a 50% bonus in jungles.
    If there's resources I always improve them.

8. Brichals

Brichals King

You don't need to chop to put a trading post down. The tile improvement doesn't remove terrain. I just realized not too long ago.

9. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

I always put a Trading Post on jungles, and if there is a banana, I don't improve it at all.

10. RacerX

RacerX Chieftain

Sounds like TP is the way to go. Thanks a lot!

11. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

Well. Learn something every day. I usually am automating my workers by the time jungles become trading posts and I think the worker AI just clear cuts everything.

12. Man vs Civ AI

Man vs Civ AI Chieftain

I always chop them - food and production are more important for me, whereas the 2 additional science is negligible.

13. King Patrick

King Patrick Warlord

Yep, trading posts for me, too. As long as it's just a tile or two. If a big patch of my city sphere is jungle I remove a lot of it for more useful improvements.

14. Mods

Mods Warlord

never develop banana jungles, it makes no sense to do so

15. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

No, you don't... You rushbuy a University for an instant super science city.

Clearing jungle is insane.

16. spider1

spider1 Prince

If there is two or less jungles in my city radius, they will be chopped and farmed or mined or get a bannana plantation. Three jungles I have to think about it. Four jungles or more and it's gonna be a science city and the jungles get trading posts.

Well, most of the time anyway. :lol:

17. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Sometimes, jungle on Hill tiles has to go.

18. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

One time on an earth map I spawned in SE asia. I think I had 15 jungle tiles, 18 water tiles, and 3 grassland. I eventually got out of control and won very early, but I had to clear a bunch of tiles just to get some production going (mostly cleared river hills).

19. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Depends. Sometimes there's a massive jungle in the area in the frontier zone where there is frequent battles, I actually lug my workers under fire and build forts in jungle hexs xD

Other times i leave them alone for a university or two.

Other times I just clear cut them all cuz its now deemed safe to do so and turn the towns once hidden by jungles into high production metropolises.

20. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

I usually farm all river tiles, plantation nanners, tp remaining jungle (exception being sometimes hill jungle)