Should I get Conquest?

alamo

bang!
I have PTW, but I feel like I had to pay for a service pack to get the game up to snuff (kind of like Windows ME).

So should I buy Conquest?

I'm happy enough now, but better governors, worker automation, culture threat display, sci management, etc. would be nice.

What are the real benefits of Conquest?

its a really great addition to an, already, great game! if you like the new civs and new difficulty levels and the the scenarios you should get it.

i guess for good online play you should get it too, thought that's not the reason i got it

I've enjoyed Conquests even though I don't like playing the scenarios included with the game. It's been worth the money.
I don't even bother with regular CivIII or PTW anymore.

I think that conquests is probably the best $30 I have spent in a loooong time.

Go buy it, right now! Turn off your pc, go to the store, and don't come back w/o it!

Seriously though, it's a great investment.

It's good you should get it. The new epic units are reason enough. So is the fact the the English are now commercial seafaring, allowing me to easily out run AI research even at regent where i am now. (By out run I mean haveing a 10+ tech lead.

Originally posted by alamo
better governors, worker automation, culture threat display, sci management, etc. would be nice.
You won't find those in C3C. You will get more ways of fighting corruption, more civs - some of them very intersting, and a lot of "small" additions and tweaks that, IMO, make the game a lot more fun to play.

I bought 4 ;) No seriously it is a good game, well worth the money (I would think that, I didn't have the misfortune of buying PTW though).

Well, if that's not a compelling testimony then nothing else could be!

Thanks for the info. I'll pick it up, sooner or later.

Normally I'd whine about how Conquests is inferior to PTW, but I've thrown in the towel, and will finally advocate Conquests.

Conquests has a few nice features. Agricultural is an overpowering trait, and if you play for score, is one of the traits you *must* have.

Seafaring is very cool, and when combined with the Great Lighthouse, makes for great island maps.

The new armies are very nice as well. It's a shame the AI doesn't ever build any, but if you don't mind using a unit the AI will never use, make extensive use of armies. With a fully healed army, you can waltz through the AI's territory, and pillage resources, disconnect the capital, etc, without ever being attacked.

Corruption is different. I miss the old FP, but you'll soon learn to live with it. Make sure you patch to at least 1.15, as in the original unpatched game, the FP makes corruption worse. For a large/huge map at higher difficulty levels, Commercial is a trait to consider for the corruption benefits.

Industrious is slower. Almost to the point of being a useless trait, especially now that slaves don't get the Industrious bonus. I used to moan about this, but again, I've learned to live with it.

The only thing about Conquests that really gets my goat is the Shift-D change. In PTW, Shift-D brings up the diplomacy window, making it very simple to quickly talk to multiple civs, which is essential when you're trying to make trades between civs, etc. Now, Shift-D is both the diplomacy window AND Automate Clear Pollution, which means that if you have a worker selected, at best nothing will happen, and at worst, you'll send a worker running off automated to clear pollution. Why they would map Shift-D to both of these actions is unknown, especially as Shift-P (the logical pollution choice), is still mapped to Clear Pollution. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this change, and is really the only problem I have with C3C anymore.

As I said earlier, I used to whine and moan about Conquests, but it has grown on me, and so I'll tell you to get it. You can find it for under $20 in the US, so it's a decent deal.

As you can see from the threads above Conquests is just Great!

Well... maybe some people think so but not ME!

Why? The Barbarians just don't work at all in Conquests.

Civs are less aggressive even when set on max aggression!

AI is not as strong that maybe lack of aggression, but I also think unit to build selection is weak in Conquest.

There are some good things, but for me the weak Barbs and AI when compared with PTW mean I'm disappointed with Conquests.

PTW surpassed all my expectation, Conquests as of patch 1.22 has yet to live up to them.

Top Bottom