Should I jump on the 75% Civ 5?

Civ 5 must be played on Steam, so don't let that determine anything.

IMHO, easily worth the $15. I think even naysayers on here would generally agree that for that price it is worth it. Just don't expect Civ IV-like play, it is a new game.

In a big-picture sense it is, but not in the sense of being stacks-of-units and having a lot of the details. There are some interesting new things (I find the Diplo/Economic victory more interesting, it is not a substitute for Domination but instead is a new beast). I also really like hexes, and really enjoy the 1UPT (but some people don't like that at all). Combat is more interesting IMHO without stacks and with units that can attack from >1 tile away, and I also like innate city defenses and policies, especially now with policy finishers. That said, there are some things I miss (there is no religion, and there are no spies. I think spies are the biggest deficit right now; I really am waiting for a DLC/expansion pack to bring spies back. Also, happiness is global instead of per-city, which I don't really like, but the system works a lot better now than when the game first came out.)

Is it at all similiar to Civ IV?

No.
It's an dumbed down wargame, which can be played like Minesweeper. Well, actually Minesweeper requires some logic and thinking, so this comparison is not a good one.

You can play it as some kind of amusement, without any thinking involved. For that purpose it's a decent game.
If you're looking for a challenging game, go and buy a different game.

Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

i wouldnt listen to all the haters, for $15 it is an excellent buy

i dont think it is the best in the series, cIV ftw ;) and only have a touch over 300hrs to date, but for the bargin price at the moment it is a steal

It's a fun game, and definitely worth the $15. Ignore the haters - there's a tiny subset of people here who get their kicks posting bizarre rants against the game which clearly show they've never even played it.

If you're open minded about it, you'll most likely get enough fun hours out of it to justify $15. But if you already have your arms crossed waiting to hate it, then you will end up doing exactly that, so if that's the case don't bother.

What is WAW?

I'd say Civ V is worth $15, just don't approach it with huge expectations, and make sure your rig is powerful enough to play it on not-crappy graphics, since graphics are a major draw for this game [whereas the gameplay was the major draw of Civ IV, but anyway...]

Its worth it for the offer price. The Civs are very enjoyable to play, and settling and building up cities and playing around with the policies and stuff is very fun.

As soon as you encounter any AI however, the fun gets killed.

No.
It's an dumbed down wargame, which can be played like Minesweeper. Well, actually Minesweeper requires some logic and thinking, so this comparison is not a good one.

You can play it as some kind of amusement, without any thinking involved. For that purpose it's a decent game.
If you're looking for a challenging game, go and buy a different game.
Yeah ! The SOD system for example needs a lot of planning as it is more realisitc & fun than 1upt. When Alexander attacked Persia, he simply spammed some Phalanax & some suicide catapults. Similarly Genghis Khan spammed some Keshliks, supported by suicidal trebuchets & mindlessly attacked cities. That is what real strategy is. Spam big stacks & attack mindlessly like a stupid bot. :rolleyes:

Civ 5 is definitely worth it :)
It's a nice game, which will give you hundreds of hours of enjoyment.
Also I'd go for the Deluxe version as you can get the Babylon DLC cheap that way.

It's a bit different than Civ4, but not less entertaining. The main differences are the 1 unit per tile, the hexagonal map and the use of strategic resources.

No religions or espionage...:hmm:

I can't really understand why people want to have religion back. The way it was implemented in Civ IV did not add a lot of strategy. You simply had to pick a religion and then spam the rest of the world with your missionaries.

If Firaxis brings back religion, I hope they overhaul the whole concept and add some religion-specific flavor (I'm probably dreaming here).

Espionage on the other hand is really something they should have added to Vanilla Civ V. Just having a spy unit to get a glimpse of the enemy's cities would have been nice.

If you're interested enough to post on the forum for it, then I would say it's absolutely worth it.

A lot of the poor reviews related to balance/bug/performance issues that have long since been fixed (it was very rough around the edges at launch). Some relate to the AI, which is now much improved and frankly above average for a 4x game, though far from perfect and still not as good as some would hope. Some is frankly just people being determined not to like it, which is of course a self-fulfilling prophecy. And some is people who don't agree with the underlying design decisions, many of which are very different from previous civ games and certainly polarising (I personally think they're excellent, but I can see why others differ). You might like them or you might not, but it's certainly different enough from Civ IV to be worth giving it a try and seeing what you think. Personally, I would say it's easily the best in the series.

You shouldn't read too much into the negative comments people make. The vast majority of negative comments about Civ V are based off one of a few things:

1) Captain Negative doesn't like one specific aspect of the game, or misses one specific aspect from Civ 4 and expands this into an argument about "why the game sucks" - See people who complain about 1Unit per tile, lack of religion/espionage etc.

2) Someone's had a bad game or a bad streak of games and, despite having invested almost 300 hours of gametime into Civ 5, will tell you in no uncertain terms that the game sucks and they wish they hadn't bought it.

It's a good game, and for $15 you can't really go wrong. If you get even 20 hours of gameplay out of it, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Considering a standard length game can take 5-6 hours if you play strategically, that number seems pretty likely.

Sure there are faults, there are bugs and things that need fixing, but no more than any game. Firaxis has been pretty much keeping on top of things, patching regularly and introducing more downloadable content by the month. Give it a try :)

Absolutely worth it for $15.

Top Bottom