Should I learn German or French

Aleenik

Deity
I want to learn one of these languages. I have started going over some basics in German and I am having a hard time, but I didn't expect learning a language would be easy. It will take time and patience, I know. If one day I move out of the US, Europe is one of the places on my list of where I would like to move to. So that is definitely a contributing factor for me as far as which language I should learn.

Why not both?

I've always heard that French is easier than German. I have no experience whatsoever with French grammar, but I assume it is easier than German grammar. On the same note, German spelling and pronunciation is much easier than French spelling/pronunciation.

Give both a try and see which one you like better.

If you live in Canada, I'd learn French.

If you live in the US, I'd learn...well...French.

If you live in Europe, I'd learn French.

If............................I'd learn French.

If you want to move to/visit Europe, then German is the more common language there.

but German sounds yuckier

allways fun when somebody who also speaks a Germanic language says that :D

on topic though, I'g go with the movies or books you like to decide the issue. if you already have a preference for either French or German media just go with that one. easiest way to gear up in a language is to either read books or watch shows/movies in that language if you don't have the opportunity to live there. if you do have the opportunity take advantage of the free learning experience as well.

I hate the way French sounds. That said, German's pretty complicated, but you'll get the hang of it.

I'd go with German.... First.

French is not that hard to learn, I'd learn it after learning German.

Speaking French makes me want to throw up. Go with German, unless your career is in 18th century history or something like that.

It all depends on why you want to learn the language.
To be honest if I move to Europe one day France and Germany are top places I would want to live in Europe I think. However, I don't know what I will do in the future and I may be getting ahead of myself, but it is something that interest me. While this isn't a primary motivation for me, I know that knowing other languages is a plus for many jobs. Also yes, learning both could be a possibility. It really depends on things though like how hard it is for me to learn another language and if I really would want to learn both... among other things. For now though I want to focus on learning one language that is why I am wondering which I should learn.

For those who are wondering, I currently live in the USA. Also, my username doesn't have anything to do with me being French, it just is about me liking to play as France and being interested in French history. Specifically Napoleon. However, even though I don't know much about French history, I like to play as France in CIV4 and other games.

German is more useful in Europe.
But follow your heart, when you like French, learn French.

i say learn french! it's what i'm doing now, and we could have a practice thread!

unless there already is one :hmm:

French>German+easier if you are anglophone+chicks dig French+France>Germany

English is more common in Europe then either French or German (roughly 50% of the EU speaks it), so don't decide which language to learn based on which is more common there. To be honest, French sounds nicer, has less scary 15-letter-plus words, and is spoken in a nicer place to live then German is.

Still, of all the places in Europe I would recomend the UK above France or Germany, it's a great place to live and has the advantage that you already speak our language, and you would just have to go through the short process of loosing all your irritating americanisms as opposed to learning a whole new language. It is very difficult to learn a new language to the level that you are fluent enough to live amongst people who speak only that.

Spanish

Top Bottom