Should I take desert Oil?

Acidrain

Chieftain
http://www.upload.ee/image/1405862/hmmz.png

Should I build city to take this Oil? This map has very little Oil. I dont really need it right now, but I might need it when I go to war with China and Germany in the future.

What you guys think.

Its not an optimal location, but if you need the oil, settle 1 West of the Iron. you can still pick up the oil, though you may need to buy the tiles. that way you get the iron, deer and wheat also.

Thanks, seems reasonable. Although I have won that game already, unless they start spamming nukes, the bad spot doesn't really gimp a lot.
This is emperor game, should move one difficulty up... I have 40 unit army near Japan border, ready to roll over them, but I belive I get the Oil first, so I can upgrade cavarly into tanks.

Why not settle 2 tiles Southwest of the Barringer crater. You'll still need to buy your way through the mountain range, but you'll have a good cityspot with riverbed and Observatory.

Got a great artist coming up anytime soon? Has the louvre been build yet?

I'd use a culture bomb to get the oil.

You need the oil only for tanks, planes and battleship. I wouldn't worry at all about the oil or settling a new city there. I'd use mech. infantry and artillery.

You seem pretty dominant already. Hard to imagine that oil being critical and being that big you should be able to buddy up to CSs with oil.

Edit: Also what is with the awesome overlay civ scores on the right? Is that an option I've missed? I like it.

Edit: Also what is with the awesome overlay civ scores on the right? Is that an option I've missed? I like it.

You can enable it from the game options.

Why not settle 2 tiles Southwest of the Barringer crater. You'll still need to buy your way through the mountain range, but you'll have a good cityspot with riverbed and Observatory.

Thats cool. Better suggestion than mine. I get a bit obsessed with coastal cities! :blush:

Got a great artist coming up anytime soon? Has the louvre been build yet?

I'd use a culture bomb to get the oil.

I didn't know you could bomb out a cities work radius... or is it expansion radius?

You can work 3 rings but expand to five through culture, but only buy the first three. Is that right? Can you culture bomb tiles 'out of range' of the three or even five? :confused:

If it were me, I'd just boost the culture in Athens to get the border to pop on the oil. Athens should already be targeting the oil for the next border pop, so, if you can get the cash, just speed it up with a temple/opera house/museum.

That, or use a great artist to culture bomb, although that would be a little over-kill.

Yes you can expand your culture as much as you want via Culture Bomb.

I'd probably bomb the oil in the East. So indeed Athens can get to the other deposit naturally.

If oil is truly scarce you should use the amount you have to your advantage. Sell it to your enemy if he doesn't have it. Then declare war and fight his 50% strength units.

There are 4 Oil spots on the whole map. :crazyeye:
One is that desert Oil, one is inside a CS border (on water), who I am ally with, but he has not built a Oil platform on it. One has China and one has Germany.

Hmm can I build a Oil platform inside CS borders myself?

and for the luls http://www.upload.ee/image/1406498/war_prep.png

Gonna roll over Japan soon. Thinking to make a naval invasion over water to China from left part of the map. (China is first place at army score in demographs, I am second)

Hmm can I build a Oil platform inside CS borders myself?

No, the CS will do it by itself...probably by the time you get alluminium rolling

I personally hardly ever worry about oil unless I play epic/marathon. Oil units get outdated too fast. Obviously if you have lots of gold and little hammers it's nice to use upgrade paths but really, unless you play a naval heavy game, just try to tech alluminium early enough to aim @ appropriate spots while your mech infs+artillery get the job done.

You really can't just buy the tile outright now? That will be one sad, barren, starving city if you settle there, just draining on your cultural growth.

Athens will get the oil soon enough. You can buy tiles to speed it up if you want.

You really can't just buy the tile outright now? That will be one sad, barren, starving city if you settle there, just draining on your cultural growth.

The tile is 4 away from Athens. Can't purchase it. You could, on the other hand, culture bomb is as someone mentioned which would save you the hassle of a crippled city and the increase in SP costs following from it. I still stand by that if you play standard speed, oil is almost irrelevant...wtb more aluminium

The tile is 4 away from Athens. Can't purchase it. You could, on the other hand, culture bomb is as someone mentioned which would save you the hassle of a crippled city and the increase in SP costs following from it. I still stand by that if you play standard speed, oil is almost irrelevant...wtb more aluminium

This is on epic speed. Standard can't have that many turns at this tech status I belive. Since it's Emperor difficulty.

Generally yeah I could just destroy the enemies with the units I have now... Maybe throw some nukes if needed, if I get uranium.

Top Bottom