1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Should I take every city of my enemy?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sunshinetrooper, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Sunshinetrooper

Sunshinetrooper Chieftain

I'm playing on King on a small pangea map with 8 AI's and responded to an emergency which put me me to war with Saladin. I'm able to conquer him and his six cities, should I do this? I'm asking as I see the AI easily have 8+ cities whilst I tend to play 4 cities, trying to max the 6 hex bonuses.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the direction to take.

2. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

4 cities was ideal for Civ V but in VI you should probably try to build more as there is very little punishment for extra cities but a lot of potential bonuses to your culture science gold etc.

But basically do it if you don't mind everyone calling you a warmonger and you're capable of defending yourself. If you're worried about a possible joint war coming after you maybe don't. If I start a war I usually just push as far as my army will allow honestly

Japper007 likes this.
  3. Mozzington

Mozzington Chieftain

If you don't mind being called a warmonger then yes crack on.

4. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

Absolutely. Your will suffer a warmonger penalty for a while, but the era points can be timely, and if you leave them with any cities, you'll have to listen to them AND their future allies gripe about how you occupy their cities.

So it's an all or nothing thing. But at least the warmonger penalty fades over time. They NEVER forget you took their city 5000 years ago...

Japper007 likes this.
  5. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

They can't call you a warmonger if they are dead.

6. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I usually like to leave them a crappy city, which will often flip to me anyway, and they are able to pay me a lot of gold for peace.

7. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom Chieftain

I have ceased to even try and figure out what this game likes. I just shut down a game in disgust after I liberated London for England (we had open borders and she was neutral towards me) and Victoria turns around, offers a horrid trade deal (which I turned down) and declares war on me. I guess liberation of one's capital is of little consequence in this game. Figure THAT out!

magha77 likes this.
  8. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

Typically I raise worthless cities to prevent amenity drain on my empire. Keep valuable cities that have potential. Leave the enemy Civ with one worthless city and sue for peace at an exorbitant price that leaves them bankrupt and without amenities.

With the new loyalty system raised cities cant revolt.

I will occasionally keep a worthless city if I need a foothold on a new continent.

9. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

It it was an emergency that trigger the war (liberating a city state Saladin had captured) they you won't be incurring any warmonger penalties anyway - take them all!! The game still says you will incur Heavy or whatever penalties but its a modifier based on the Zero warmonger points scored for an emergency - so zero * any modifier is still zero. You will still pickup a small number of warmonger points for killing the AI civ.

At least until the upcoming patch - which I'm guessing will fix this oversight.

If warmonger penalties are still an issue I sometimes like to just take a couple of big cities that are positioned so that the AI's remaining cities are going to have loyalty issues. Peace out and take all his amenities in the peace deal so they get more loyalty issues. Then their remaining cities just flip and you can get them for free.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Uberfrog likes this.
  10. PeterChu

PeterChu Chieftain

I remember liberating a CS in CIv 5 is somehow more satisfying. It seems to give you semi-permanent alliance relation with that CS. But this is not the case with other AI civs. Once in a Civ 5 game, I played as England, and revived a dead civ by liberating its old capital. The first message I got from this revived Civ is to promise to retreat my military units from its borders. Yes, a few turns later that civ was demolished again (by the Mongolians, if my memory is right).

I smiled. That is how the diplomacy game mechanic works in general in the Civ franchise. At least in CIv 6, this logic is not fully compatible with the casus belli system that implies a kind of ‘just war theory' and an emphasis to evaluate the 'moral weight of wars'. To what extent the emergency system in the R&F expansion changes the situation? I am still uncertain.

11. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

As Trengilly says, wars fought as an Emergency incur no warmonger penalties, so the usual diplomatic consideration is out the window. Take as many cities as you want.

In terms of loyalty, you will need to take enough cities that his pressure is reduced to the extent that your conquered cities do not revolt. This will depend on how they are placed, and will certainly involve taking the capital and other large cities.

Beyond that, are the six cities good, productive cities? If so, there is no reason not to take them as more cities is nearly always better in Civ VI. The only reason I wouldn't would be if he had some out-of-the-way cities in unproductive jungle or tundra that I simply wouldn't be bothered to deal with unless I was set on wiping him out entirely. Leaving him as a weak rump state is fine, particularly if the other civs dislike him in the first place, as his denunciations won't matter.

In my recent domination game with Shaka I cut a bloody swath through most civs, but Brazil (the largest) had a bunch of cities across a jungle that I could safely avoid while taking his capital and core. He was left as a powerless remnant until I took the last capital.

12. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Every city looks like a campus to me.

13. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

You could try slotting in Raid/Total War and just destroying everything for yields. Bring some ranged and siege to take out district defenses, if they rebuild just repeat.

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Conan, what is best in life?

15. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

I wish I could like that post a million times.

Japper007 likes this.
  16. Bosque

Bosque Chieftain

There is another possible reason to leave them a couple of small cities: if you are going for a cultural victory you need to preserve their civilization in order to get tourism from them. Dead civs don’t provide any tourists.

17. Jaybe

Jaybe Chieftain Supporter

Or, if you are trying to AVOID a cultural victory (to prolong the game, for instance), you can rub them out to reduce your tourism.

18. Question

Question Chieftain

Civ 6 is all abot playing wide unfortunately. Even if you can stay at max amenities, you get a paltry +10% non-food yields which is meh compared to what a larger empire gives you.

Another issue is that the game actively encourges you to not leave AI civs alive. If you take a single city, or raze a single one of their cities, they will hate you forever. Even if you do a white peace, chances are, they will still hate you and attack you down the road...over and over again....

And the limited diplomacy feature means you cant ask for much when you win a war. Gold? The AI probably spent most of it to buy units or whatever. Gold per turn? The AI wont have much if they are losing cities, and you cant ask for more GPT than they have currently...so you cant say "hey i will give back your cities and you give me GPT based on your new GPT".

And the AI is just full retard and wont give you great works most of the time, regardless of their impending destruction. So you may take everything by force...

19. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

I'm a big fan of taking all but one of the enemy's cities, taking everything they've got in the peace deal then Loyalty flipping their last city. If you wipe them out, you don't get paid.

20. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

You will get 5 era points from elimination.

So whether eliminate or not basically depends on whether you want a golden age or a dark age for the next era.

Also, whether your target suzerains some annoying city-states you want to suzerain shall also be taken into consideration.