[BTS] Should I try Civ5/6? (Civ4 snob)

Tuscarora87

Chieftain
After several years I'm reinstalling Civ4 (Immortal player) and I'm curious what's the current opinion on Civ5 and 6 ...from a Civ4 standpoint? Back then I disregarded Civ5 pretty quickly (from my high horse), because of hexes, no stacks, no min-max sliders / exploits, no measurable diplomacy... The game looked inferior and dumbed down. On the other hand, Civ4 civs lack uniqueness which feels boring now. So, should I still try the newer iterations. Are they any better now? Which one, 5 or 6? Are there any must have mods, like BUG?

Hello Tuscarora

Many folk, myself included, are of the opinion that Civ IV was the high point of the series and a significant change in direction was made from Civilization V onwards. My deal breaker is the one unit per tile system; the AI can't use it, pure and simple. Even with excellent mods like Vox Populi for V, the AI still struggles to move. And you have not encountered true tedium until you try and move your 20 unit army across the ocean to invade your opponents. I've tried both newer games and always come back home to Civ IV. :D

Kind regards
Ita Bear

They're still inferior and dumbed down. Easily a full difficulty level less difficult, if not two. Just look on the forums, it seems like half the players are winning on the highest level, and I've seen multiple threads in the past bemoaning how easy deity is. Civ 5 is particularly bad with universal happiness and a rigged policy tree that makes 4-city tall empires the easiest way to win. But they both suffer from the same fatal flaw: The AI can't handle combat. 1UPT and non-resolving battles means it's fairly easy to beat the AI up. 1UPT also screws with the production ratios in the game (as the design has to find a way to force you from filling the map up with units). Civ 6 adds some rather forced difficulty by making the AI likely to aggro you very early on, but after that it falls behind quickly. I feel you on civs not being unique enough, though my understanding is that came with the cost of them being very imbalanced. There are also more minor things that bother me. Climate change and tourism are anachronistic in a civ game. The civ choices and especially leader choices are insane and the graphics are childish.
I think the consensus is your best bet for a modern iteration in the genre is neither 5 nor 6, but instead Humankind.

If you are going to get anything, get V on sale at some point. Some fun can be had with it, but it is no where near the game IV is. Just play Brave New World with the EUI mod (greatly improves V UI which is pretty bad).

6 I really really disliked....'nuff said. If ya thought V diplomacy was ridiculous ..oh my.

Guys, thanks for the answers. Not very encouraging answers though. :cool: I want real strategy, not watered down simulators of various unrelated aspects. Civ4's underlying math, I mean, tension between vertical and horizonal growth is unmatched. Min-maxing, resource conversions, reaching breakpoints, exploitations of mechanics and behaviors, everything is interconnected, meaningful...

It's not surprising they didn't know what made Civ great. Even Civ4 devs were not aware. Civ 4 just... happened.
It's sad they thought the problem is unit stacking. Or squares. Novel doesn't mean it's going to be good. I remember that lack of sliders turned me off from Civ5.

I have Civ5 and will at least try it with the mentioned mode.

Actually, my newest problem is I forgot a lot of strats from Civ4 (or they somewhat faded away). If you shoot me, I can't recall how to do Trebs Medieval wars correctly.

Mankind. Is it promising?

If you normally play BtS, then try to add the Realism Invictus 3.5 mod to that game (remember to install patch 7 too). You can find both on the download section of this site. Or go to the homepage for this mod: http://www.realism-invictus.com

If you play on custom-maps, you have to use the worldbuilder, that comes with the mod. It works like SmartMap, but includes all the new terraintiles and goods too. Or you could do as I: Use any map-program you want to make a "draft" and make your own changes later using the WorldBuilder.

The only modern 4x game that seems promising to me is old world, from Soren Johnson. I'm looking foward to playing it once it hits steam. As for Humankind, it seems like Endless Legend with a civilization skin. It doesn't suit my taste to be honest, and some of the 4x games from amplitude sucks difficulty wise (like endless space 2)

Both V and VI took important steps in a different direction from IV. The folks here who love IV disagree with that direction.

I have had fun with V, and I got VI on a sale -- up to Gathering Storm, not the new DLC.

Before the last expansion pack, the collective wisdom here on V that one set of choices for the Social Policies/Virtues was optimal. The Global Happiness mechanic had counter-intuitive effects (people were more unhappy as your armies conquered more cities?? Really?). Combat had its own quirks -- surround a city with ranged/siege, bombard it until redline, take it with a single land unit -- that are not much weirder than "suicide catapults". Moving a "carpet of doom" is much more tedious than build a "stack of doom". Some things I enjoy are the customizable religions with different beliefs and the use of faith as another form of currency; I like that land units can "swim" rather than consciously loading them onto transport boats. The last expansion pack made some changes that allow a player to dig out of a happiness hole. But to your point, @Tuscarora87 , Civ V has few knobs to turn for a player to min-max the production, economy, or science in the empire. The Victory Conditions -- especially the military-related ones -- are fundamentally changed. Fun can be had, but it is not a continuation of Civ IV thinking.

Civ VI went even further in the direction of breadth and variety. The developers want players to use different strategies for the Romans, for the Indians, for the Americans, for the English. Social policies/virtues are no longer a ratchet -- invoke once, keep forever -- as they were in V. One has a number of slots for active policies, with many choices to put "cards" in those slots. The choices increase as you move along the social policy tree, analogous to the tech tree for scientific research. Cards can be swapped, similar to changing Civics in Civ IV. Combat is still 1UPT (mostly) and manually moving your forces is still tedious. Improving one's territory is more complex than IV; many more choices than simply cottages or farms. Cities are augmented by districts that are placed on tiles outside the city center. Religions are still customizable. The UI is clunky, and it's hard to find the information you want on the screen, unlike the BUG/BULL/BUFFY advances. They changed the happiness mechanic so that wide play is encouraged again. Fun can be had, but it is even further from a continuation of Civ IV thinking.

I've got VI with all of the DLC and frankly, I find it stupified to the point of not needing a cohesive strategy to win. There is just no depth to the game. It's just a slider puzzle with choices to make which have no real consequences or outcome on the game.

Civ4 is hard. Civ6 I can play in my sleep.

Top Bottom