Should LOTR: The Two Towers be renamed?

Should the movie "LOTR: The Two Towers" be renamed?

• Yes, the movie should be renamed.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • No, the movie should not be renamed.

Votes: 83 97.6%

• Total voters

Ahmad

Warlord
There's an organization that wants the name of the second Lord of The Rings movie (Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers) to be changed since they feel that it would cause "a return of the emotions felt on Sept 11".

http://www.twotowersprotest.org/index.html

The following quote is from their grievances link:

We believe that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema's actions are in fact hate speech. The movie is intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11. Clearly, you cannot deny the fact that this falls under hate speech. We believe that if they will not willingly change the name, the government should step in to stop the movie's production or to force a name change.

Please note that the LOTR was written before the WTC was even built and that the LOTR movies are given the same names as the book titles.

What why the book was written years ago its liek how they had to change the name of the harry potter movei for americans.
The two towers has no refernve to September 11th it is the orignial name for the book so it should stay the same

Sorry, the book came before September 11th, 2001. It has the right to the name.

stop thinking of the world trade centers as towers, just think of them as buildings.

I've see stupid things, I've seen very stupid things and now I've seen this. I can die happy :D

Just quoting the webpage (FAQ Section, same senteces that Ahmad)

"We believe that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema's actions are in fact hate speech. The movie is intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11. Clearly, you cannot deny the fact that this falls under hate speech. We believe that if they will not willingly change the name, the government should step in to stop the movie's production or to force a name change."

I don't agree with this protest! The two towers is a the original name of Tolkien's book, so why they say: "intentionally."

And I believe that America has free spech, but they don't believe:

"We believe that if they will not willingly change the name, the government should step in to stop the movie's production or to force a name change."

I understand people being sensitive and feeling bad about hearing that phrase.

But the statement that they "intentionally named" the movie of a book written 50 years ago and developed before 9-11 is ridiculous.

Originally posted by yaroslav

I don't agree with this protest! The two towers is a the original name of Tolkien's book, so why they say: "intentionally."

Why? Probably to try to make some money on it. Or maybe it's just a stupid joke.

Why have we become this sensitive? I didn't even notice this, and I doubt I would have even if the September 11 attacks deeply affected me. (Well, maybe I would have, but I doubt I would care too much; after all, it's the original name of the book.) It seems pretty silly to me. And what are they thinking of changing the name to?

EDIT: Tonberry, how could they make money on this? :confused:

Of course not. I fear there is a group of 9-11 survivors/relatives who have fallen into a career victim mentality. I pity them.

Curious thing: They provide a link to petition-online that doesn't work

http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/

And, if you launch a search querry on petitiononline, you would find a high number of "retain the name"-petition than "change the name"-petition. So, they aren't going to have too much sucess ;)

Originally posted by WillJ
Why have we become this sensitive? I didn't even notice this, and I doubt I would have even if the September 11 attacks deeply affected me. (Well, maybe I would have, but I doubt I would care too much; after all, it's the original name of the book.) It seems pretty silly to me. And what are they thinking of changing the name to?

EDIT: Tonberry, how could they make money on this? :confused:

Maybe they think some people will gave them money to help them in their "crusade".

When Bush declares the USA is a monarchy, will they change the name of the "Return of the King"?

Originally posted by tonberry

Maybe they think some people will gave them money to help them in their "crusade".

Just quoting their web (againg)

"The TTPO would completely align itself with any fundraising our supporters would like to organize."

This may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. All it deserves is a great big :rolleyes:

no suggestions of better names. creativity at its best.

"Do you people seriously think you'll be successful?

We most certainly do. Several of our members were already successful at making 20th Century Fox delay the movie "Phone Booth" due to the Maryland sniper attacks."

what kind of people is this?

:rotfl:

Originally posted by Ahmad
There's an organization that wants the name of the second Lord of The Rings movie (Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers) to be changed since they feel that it would cause "a return of the emotions felt on Sept 11".

This only further proves my point that the world is full of idiots.

Top Bottom