1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should non-Muslims be allowed to enter Mecca?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Godwynn, Oct 10, 2009.

1. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

No, but Muslims shouldn't be allowed to leave Mecca.

2. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Someone already brought up nuking Mecca, right?

3. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

Since when has freedom of religion been a big deal in Saudi Arabia?

It's their country, they can refuse to let people in if they want. How many non-Muslims are desperate to get into Mecca anyway?

4. Yared

Yared That Guy

Yeah, I think it's the same in Eritrea.

When I was getting my exit-visa they asked me twice about my religion. The first time I got away with saying none. The second time the guy had some fit and said "ab alem, seb beseiy haimanot yelen!" - "In all of the world, there are no people without religion" :lol::lol:

But yeah, I think I could sneak in there. Sir Richard Francis Burton could (though he had himself circumcised before just in case), so I could probably do it as well.

5. Verbose

Verbose Chieftain

He certainly wasn't the first though. For instance the Finnish linguist Georg August Wallin made a visit in 1845, a couple of years ahead of Burton. Getting into Mekka for a non-believer doesn't seem to have been that hard at the time. Probably better tabs on people these days.

6. bhsup

bhsup Chieftain

Their country, their rules.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Obviously. Also, Saudi Arabia is officially a Wahabi state, where religious laws apply. Personally I don't see how tourism would add to the Islamic conversion rate. (Not to mention the potential terrorist threat associated with such an increase in traffic to and from Mecca; already the number of religious visitors to Mecca is a security nightmare.)

8. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Chieftain

The Quran is SA's constitution. Their rights were established 1400 years ago and have not changed. It doesn't get much more backwards than that. Can you imagine Europe living under its laws of 700AD?

9. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Our law system is actually based on the Corpus Juris Civilis from 500 AD, but yes, much have changed since then.

10. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Ahh yes, you see, Mecca - the whole city - is a mega shrine. The entire area is considered sacred ground of Islam. It is similar to Mount Athos, how all women are restricted from entering it due to religous-inspired laws, how most of it is restricted and that is a town of 2000 people. But it is excused since the mountain is apparently "Sacred Ground"

Mecca is no different. Just way more populated. When you go to Ginkaku-ji in Japan you take off your shoes. When you enter certain Orthodox Shrines, women must cover their heads. When you enter Mecca, you need to be Muslim.

Its that simple. Respect the rules of the shrines/grounds/places that people see as sacred.

11. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Chieftain

Not a chance. I will not respect ******** rules created because of invisible wizards.

I'm wondering how you see this:
    As remotely similar.

It's like saying "some places you need to wear a tie and some places you need to be christian... same thing". There's a HUGE difference between being asked to wear a piece of clothing and being asked to recognize (and worship) a mystical being.

12. Lillefix

Even when they are unreasonable?

edit: ^^ yeay to Ecofarm

13. Yared

Yared That Guy

Question I want answered is what happens if you're found out?

I'm talking like if you you're a woman and you walk in without covering yourself.

14. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Totally agree with the previous post. None of our business. It's their call. End of thread. Goodbye.:goodjob:

15. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Chieftain

This unjustified discrimination has no place anywhere in the world.

Cancel end of thread, we want our say as world citizens. We want equal rights.

16. aronnax

This is not some restaurant or tourist site, open to the Hawaiian shirt wearing, camera-totting Americans. The place was meant for religious worship, not curious wandering. Its like how some Churches and Mosques are close to the public of service. Just 24 hours.

And how about the example of Mount Athos? Should women be allowed in?

I do not see what is so unreasonable with protecting the sacred sanctity of a Religion's most holy ground.

I guess they will ask you wear one or throw you out.

17. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Chieftain

According to who? Some God-King?

Oh yea, it is according to some god-king. I guess that makes it ok?

Dude, it's not a building... so it's not really like that.

No, Eastern Orthodox traditions and sacred stuff is totally legitimate.
    Spoiler :
    Of course women should be allowed there.

18. Lillefix

Protect against who? Me? What damage is it reasonable to assume that I will do if I came to Mekkah or Medina?

19. aronnax

If temples can decide whether or not to open their doors to non-believers, in the move to keep the place sacred, I don't see why Mecca, which is an uber shrine, cannot do the same thing.

Don't try to vilify religion. You are making yourself look bad.
    And don't you try to vilify the ruling of God without thinking deeper. Do you think this rule was instated to piss off Non-Muslims? It makes sense that the Muslims want the place to remain sacred and not polluted by the rude interference of tourists.

20. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Chieftain

I'm guessing they think you are an impure piece of garbage and the very presence of your soul would foul their otherwise perfect place.