1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should old town road be on the country charts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Jun 24, 2019.

?

Should Lil Nas X “Old Town Road” be allowed on the country charts

1. Yes

68.8%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only the Billy Ray Cyrus version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Take my radioactive monkey to the downtown road

31.3%
  1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Thank god you're on CFC where it is clinically impossible to waste time. This has been scientifically proved time and time again. Trust me, I have several degrees in time waste.

Lexicus and AmazonQueen like this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

upload_2019-6-25_9-19-19.png

tjs282 and Snerk like this.
  3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Ok, this observation amused me, but I do like to go back and read the posts above and sort of wallow in the observation. But I'm not tracking, and I'd like to. How people read stuff is interesting. I notice several posters not up to date, myself included*, but I'm not finding smug easily, even taking that as amused rather than judgy. Helpful overthought breakdown if you're bored and want to test the impossibility of wasting time on CFC? :)

*Hey, I like tons of different music and I like talk radio, it all competes for time and I'm not usually inhabiting "scene" locations that play the newest stuff at this stage in my life

4. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Yes, obviously. If some of the country pop hits over the last 10-15 years have been eligible for country music charts, then this should be too.

The subtext is very loud yeah.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I guess I don't even know what the consequences are for a song or an artist to be included in or excluded from a "chart." The fact that the writers/compilers of these things are forced to categorize songs may be an argument for discarding the charts entirely. I guess that's easy for me to say, though, as "the charts" haven't reflected my tastes in music since 1984. Still, I can't escape the feeling that "the charts" are purely an industry tool for driving revenues (an archaic one, at that - might as well take a survey using landlines). If they contribute to social division to boot, I don't see what value they offer to the everyday music fan, who just wants to hear some cool tunes on the way to work. Again, though, things like "the charts" and awards shows and other mainstream media haven't been useful tools for me for a long time, so I've already figured out other ways to access music.

6. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I was trying to work in a joke about it just being text but I couldn't figure out the execution

7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Didn't Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy chart? Didn't Kid Rock have a couple songs on the country charts?

Sounds like people got cranky that another crossover is doing well.

8. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Basically just all the jokes about this being a thread about maps. Why make such an obviously lame joke unless you want to ridicule it and show how cool you are that you haven't heard of the song.

And don't get me wrong, I don't know every number 1 single either. There's more to music than knowing which tunes are in the top 10 (Thank God!). But Old Town Road was a viral hit that brought a Newcomer to Number one (all over the world as well by the way) AND sparked a huge discussion about racism in country music. So it's more than just "I don't like mainstream (pop) music".

But yes, it's very hard to determine the tone in a written forum. My comment after all was just a quick one as well.

Hygro likes this.
  9. Farm Boy

Fair nuff. The racism angle seems mostly a stupid ***hole tangent. I don't like his style of super chill rap a ton, but it's fine. And everyone I've talked to in the last coupe days agrees even if they don't like it, which they usually do. The internet self selects conversations for specific sorts of turds.

mitsho likes this.
  10. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I'm struggling to understand what, of any of this, is country. The music video and non-hip hop parts evoke Western motifs, and the the song overall sounds much closer to Delta blues than Country.

11. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I'm pretty sure if someone made a Delta blues hit today it would be on the country charts.

12. Farm Boy

Country stretches loosely around American folk. It's barely there tho, it's closer to hick hop.

13. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Frankly, you're just gonna ride til you can't no more, because if you ride til you can't no more, it hardly matters if you first ride to the old town road; that will have just been one portion of a very long horse ride, and who will will then care that the old town road was one of the early stages of your very long horse ride? You rode til you couldn't no more. That's the pertinent thing.

Can one's debut be a crossover?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Hygro likes this.
  14. Hygro

The first time I heard this song I was like "bruh what's the big dea"
    The second time I was like ... kay.

The third I was pretty into it.

Huge fan by time number 4 through whatever I'm on. Really good.

Truthy likes this.
  15. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I refer to an excellent podcast for this one: https://www.switchedonpop.com/no-country-for-old-town-road/

Also, Delta Blues sounds like a much finer grading than what the country charts are. It‘s more about the big groupings: Pop, R&B/Hip Hop, Indie and so on.

The borders of these big genres are always contested though and seem to vanish. Even Lil Nas X, he just took a pre-done sample and sang/rapped over it. It‘s the time of endless possibilities thanks to the Internet and as that, there‘s so much more crossover, no? And then come us humans with our need to categorize everything :)

16. mitsho

mitsho Deity

17. Farm Boy

It certainly is a song.

18. Farm Boy

Ok, it's been tweaked and tinkered enough times that it's finally making oldies/pop song mix stations. Finally heard a version that makes it, I think. I find the original kinda boring, just doesn't really sing for me. But whatever version I heard in the car this morning kicked it over the edge. It had that whistled G# F# G# B G# or whatever that refrain actually is, flowing into a choral chord of the - ride till I can't no more. Finally piecing together Reznor in the background settled a bit of the vibe for me too, he sampled that from newer NIN stuff than I've listened to a lot, but it's recognizable.

I guess I'm going to finally weigh in on the original question. Original version, no. Remixes, yes.

Edit: apparently there are like 80 remixes. So let me qualify that. There's finally at least one I like. But jeez. Victory of 2019 big-money marketing I guess.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  19. Hygro

The main remix/radio play is with Billy Ray Cyrus. I prefer the original, but I confess I've only heard the 3 versions on Spotify.

20. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

I think all roads should be on charts, unless they have secret government installations on them.

Socrates99 likes this.