Should the Sailors Dirge be resurrected?

Bring back the Sailors Dirge

• Total voters
I would love the Dirge to return and the other super barbs to become more common. I think Barbatos should show up the first time the Sepulcher is explored. Always, without fail.

Problem would be that it'd be a sneak suicide attack to pop Barbatos with a scout, and screw the civ where Barbatos was closest. Better if some nasty, generic Ogre shows up and kills that scout on the first pop. Barabatos is really tough stuff if he's allowed to roam and conquer and with him the Barbarians can take over the world. So it's preferable that he shows up later in the game.

I want my dirge back, but I want a seriously bad ass dirge. It's a real pissant as it was, the critters roaming the oceans are more dangerous. The thing should be a titan, godlike and invincible on the waters, preferably capturing all the units it defeats in battle, something to give the Lanun a run for their money. Popping out skeletons is nice, but give the thing a hero promotion and boarding. :)

If it's properly balanced, I'd like to see it and all the other stuff too. I don't want to see other civs falling in rows, but some more spice would be nice.
Maybe make it appear via an event, but like half of the turns needed until Orthus.
Barbatos appearing on exploration would be boring, as the AI doesn't explore epic dungeons.

I want my dirge back, but I want a seriously bad ass dirge. It's a real pissant as it was, the critters roaming the oceans are more dangerous. The thing should be a titan, godlike and invincible on the waters, preferably capturing all the units it defeats in battle, something to give the Lanun a run for their money. Popping out skeletons is nice, but give the thing a hero promotion and boarding. :)

My only disappointment with the Dirge was by the time I would get a couple decent ships ready to go hunt it down- it would be parked in a barb city (usually with Acheron) and would never leave for the rest of the game.

Mh, Barbatos as a real hard late game enemy (25 :hammers: and KotE) with twincast and extension I+II walking around and spreading more terror than most Apocalyptic riders :)
Also TumTum should be made stronger. He is never a threat. Never. Perhaps Clan of Embers should be able to gift Trade to their barbarian friends :p.

I would love for the Dirge to be back. Yes, sometimes it parked itself in a barb city, but that's really no worse than it not being there.

When it did appear, it added a new dynamic to things in the early game. Anything that helps make a particular game different or memorable is a plus.

I remember a protracted war against the damn thing in one of my Sheaim games, where I was setting up to play Hyborem. I was rushing AV as hard as I could, and I was heavily neglecting military concerns. Pretty much just a few warriors hanging about, but my game was humming along nicely anyway. Then the thing parks itself next to my capital and starts vomitting out wave after wave of skeletons. So many club-brandishing peasants died in defense of their nefarious master's plans that game that it was silly. I couldn't churn them out fast enough. Had to press the pause button on my evil plans to research some military techs to try to turn the siege around. Thankfully after a few dozen pitched turns, the thing lost interest and went off to cause trouble elsewhere. Or just went to park in Acheron's city (naturally) to lick its wounds, where I found it later with Big Red.

What was nice about the Dirge is that it came early enough to be a threat. It wasn't just an easter egg hunt like with Orcus, but wasn't a total civ-crusher like Barbatos. You could actually fight it off, if it didn't show up at turn 2. If it spawned in AFTER turn 20, or whatever, it would probably be about perfect.

You know, I have NEVER seen either of the monkeys, Mary, or the Dirge. I've seen Orthus and TumTum... and ussually Orthus lives ~ 10 turns, most. TumTum? I tend to hunt him down if he lives with command units and just take him myself. THEN he's useful.... for me. ;3

I remember Barbatos.. I wondered what happened to him! BTW since you mentioned Clan is anyone ever going to make the "Too civilized" event no longer dependant on score? That's never really fit, flavor wise...

What do u think about the unique dungeons like Broken Sepulcher/Bradelines Well only be exploreable by units with the hero Promotion? I mean, they are Heroes, so it is their task to explore those dangerous sites.
This way would deny the scout exploit to harm other civs and you would need an army to be sure, that your hero is not crushed the next turn.
Of course, the chance that your Hero never returns from the lair should be set to Zero.

Top Bottom