1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the vassals be again prohibited from declaring war?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Lone Wolf, Nov 16, 2009.

1. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

I think you are over-estimating your vassal's will to declare war. The AI in RFC is very non-aggressive as it is, how many times did it happen that a vassal declared war in your games?
    From what I can remember it never happened in my games (Maybe only on independents).

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I'm opposing it on principle.

Gameplay-wise, the free tech feeding bothers me more.

3. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

How about this. If the vassal needs a declaration of war, they should be able to ask the master, and the master decide, just so it's put to attention of the master. As to what the rules should be for the vassal to ask, I suggest that it would be something like if they were harassing them with espionage or culture, or if they simply don't like the person enough.

4. say1988

say1988 Deity

Ideally I would say the situation should be that if a Vassal declares war, the master has an option of ignoring it and staying neutral (damaging relations with the other party), abandoning your vassal, or declaring war on the bugger.

5. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Not a bad idea but my relations with my vassals are usually so ridiculously high that the penalty would have to be pretty significant to mean anything.

6. say1988

say1988 Deity

No, a penalty with the person they declared on (for not opposing the action, as in they expect you to keep your vassal in line, but you don't). So if they attack a minor person or an enemy, it doesn't really matter, but if they attack a major threat you would be cautious.

The whole thing wouldn't be worth the effort, but that would be my ideal.

7. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

I have no idea, I just know the explanation. Perhaps it's not doable with the current implementation of civ.

8. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

To be honest, I never noticed/ cared that the AI did this. The nation could just have easily declared war on me themselves, since vassals have the same diplomacy rating as you with a given civilization it would only declare war on one that there was a mutual hate, I would assume. Lone Wolf loves stating things he does not like about the game though :).

Only a joke, if you complain about something its because you want it to be perfected.

9. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

10. deanej

deanej Deity

I would think it would be just one line of code to change. The block is probably just an if statement. I think some people just don't realize that we have the DLL source files (as prior to the 3.17 patch, we didn't).

I consider it gamebreaking as when it does happen, you're suddenly at war with someone you might not be ready for a war with, and there's no warning of any kind.

11. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

If you have vassals or defensive pacts or just are next to someone unruly, that happens in Civ all the time. And if you're not ready, well, that's kind of your fault as a player.

In a game where wars are far too few and far between, deciding that one particularly type of war is bad because you're not ready seems really weird.

12. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

In classical BTS, vassals are prohibited from declaring war.

13. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

I think he meant that people will attack your vassal which will drag you into a war as well without you being prepared.

14. deanej

deanej Deity

Actually, It's probably cause I just suck. I play settler in base BtS and other mods, so I'm use to not having a lot of war and really, really suck at war.

15. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Woah settler... If there's any tip I can give is always use more troops than you think you need.
    Try to play some regular BTS untill you can win warlod and then viceroy wouldn't be too hard, and when you do play RFC play the easier civs like Europeans, US, and Japan until you are accustomed to RFC's way of playing.

16. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Don't feel bad, deanej. I used to play Settler. Just be England or Japan, when your on an island and don't need to work on a huge army