Should there be more than 4 victory types?

AJ22PIZZA

Chieftain
I find it boring to just have the four victory types. Domination is fun and all, but after winning a couple of games with it it loses a bit of its fun for me. Can only burn Madrid so many times. I have some suggestions:
Religious
Economic
I haven't really though these out, but I'm sure someone will a lot better then I could.

Religious Victory is already in the game - it's called domination victory. That's what almost all religions want, or wanted in the past... conquer or destroy the infidels.

Economic victory is also in the game - in disguise as Diplomatic Victory aka "Buy all the City States!" ;)

Overall I think the Victory Conditions are good the way they are. I like Religion to be a "support"-Role and it would be kind of an overkill if it also had a Victory Condition. I actually thought about it a while ago and I couldn't really come up with anything interesting. An economic Victory might be a nice idea in combination with a mod that overhauls the Diplomatic Victory to be more about Diplomacy and less about Economy (like City State Diplomacy Mod already does), but just as an addition to the Standard-Victories... I don't think there's really anything that could be added without overlapping or overhauling other Victories.

Fair enough about the religious victory. The other victories would have to be nerfed a little bit. Like the science victory, maybe a new science victory akin to the space race between the US and USSR? For diplomacy, I looked into the City state mod, and it looks great. Culture is fine in BNW, and Id say domination is a little to easy. Maybe own a vast majority of all of the cities on the map? Example: 67 out of the 83 cities on the map.

This probably already exists, but a mod with a version of the victory conditions from Empires of the Smoky Skies would be nice. With Military, Economics, Religion, Culture and Science being the key, and the winner needing to hold three of those titles at once for a certain number of turns.

Previous versions of Civ had other victory conditions. Some of them were more suited to building a much larger number of cities than Civ 5 has. One was interesting -- the single city cultural victory in Civ3. You had to build one city with *lots* of wonders, so that it accumulated a crazy large amount of culture.

The old-school conquest victory was "kill all the enemy cities", not just kill all the capitals, and the old-school domination victory was to own 66% of the land and 2/3 of the world's population. Not very applicable in Civ5.

There has to be something a little better than only one civilization owning their capital for a domination victory.

A religious victory could involve some combination of X % of the world following your religion, and expending faith to buy some unique wonder. Plus surviving the AI's attempt to win by other VC's.

The scenarios do alter winning conditions a bit but limited and similar to the existing victory types. Religious victory seems with religion in the current state would not make sense, and there would have to be more complexity to converting cities and maintaining control of the masses.

Strictly speaking, there is a fifth victory type: Score, when all turns have run out.

The only time I have ever gotten a Score victory is playing on very easy settings (so the AI is incapable of winning by any of the main victory types), and deliberately trying not to obtain any of the four main victory types for myself.

I would love to see a proper Economic victory myself, with civs able to create corporations capable of expanding across the globe in a similar way to religion.

I think the Domination victory condition is actually fine as it is. Generally if you take a Civ's capital they are broken. There are ways to come back, but usually ones buildings, religion, great work slots and wonders are concentrated there. To lose that means you lost a lot of investment. Also the capital is frequently buried behind other cities. So it is often the case an invader has already captured and or raised multiple cities on the way to take the capital. Additionally, capitals usually fall as a result of military superiority. While it is possible to take a capital with a blitzkrieg attack, in my experience this is not the case. Once the capital falls it is never reclaimed and the fate of that civ is sealed.

So the point of my opinion is that if you own all capitals, you have done that to all other civs. Usually further military conflict is a formality. In Civ 4, the Conquest VC often got tedious to root out every small Podunk town in ice and little 1 tile islands. Civ 5's is thorough enough to feel satisfied you conquered the world, but not tedious to make you feel the last several cities you take are really irrelevant.

I would be up for new victory conditions; however, I just can't think of any. I like the diplomatic one, but I feel that there has to be potential for a separate economic one, I just don't know how. Maybe a more creative individual could come up with some. Sadly I feel this whole discussion is irrelevant since the powers that be decided that Civ 5 will be no more :(

Each of the current victory conditions should only add a block of score, like 10-20 wonder's worth; the highest score at 2050 A.D. (the 'true' test of time) wins.

So, drop it to 1 victory type.

Each of the current victory conditions should only add a block of score, like 10-20 wonder's worth; the highest score at 2050 A.D. (the 'true' test of time) wins.

So, drop it to 1 victory type.

I'd also like to see just a single victory type. There's already overlap between Domination and Culture (get influential over some civs and wipe out the others, or capturing the capital of a high culture civ will also speed up your cultural victory), and you will be able to play that aggressively or defensively or anything in between. Diplomacy should still be useful to push through certain resolutions as well as being able to convince other civs to become your allies, adopt your Ideology, declare war on your enemies etc. Science victory can be gone as far as I am concerned, just make it give TV Satellites to boost your culture or laser-spewing satellites or something.

There has to be something a little better than only one civilization owning their capital for a domination victory.

I think that was in vanilla. In G&K you have to control all the capitals.

I think that was in vanilla. In G&K you have to control all the capitals.

My understanding was this:
- Vanilla: only one civ in possession of its original capital
That is, Attila could knock off a couple, Rome could knock off a couple, and as long as you beat Attila and Rome, you could win. Last one standing

- G&K: same as vanilla; verified, since I currently play G&K

- BNW: single civ needs to possess all the original capitals

My understanding was this:
- Vanilla: only one civ in possession of its original capital
That is, Attila could knock off a couple, Rome could knock off a couple, and as long as you beat Attila and Rome, you could win. Last one standing

- G&K: same as vanilla; verified, since I currently play G&K

- BNW: single civ needs to possess all the original capitals

Yup--you're right. I meant to say BNW.

Top Bottom