Should tradition gets a stronger finish?

Infantry#14

Emperor
like a 25% production bonus to capital?

Tradition has replaced Liberty as my opening SP tree. Taking Legalism first enables you to build archers or shrines rather than monuments. The other policies enable you to get four cities up and running fairly quickly while the free aqueduct finisher means that those cities will grow. ANy buffs would, in my opinion, make Tradition OP.

My idea of a 25% production boost to the capital comes from the civ4 civic bureaucracy 50% production and commerce in the capital. I feel that tradition should end with something that benefits greatly the capital only. Also, the capital never receives the 25% railroad production bonus, and it's a great place to put it there. So instead of the 4 free aqueducts, I suggest this change.

My idea of a 25% production boost to the capital comes from the civ4 civic bureaucracy 50% production and commerce in the capital. I feel that tradition should end with something that benefits greatly the capital only. Also, the capital never receives the 25% railroad production bonus, and it's a great place to put it there. So instead of the 4 free aqueducts, I suggest this change.

Hmmm... that's ok if you're doing a OCC, but I prefer the Aqueducts, as I like to have at least 3 strong cities in my empire, and that helps more. I don't want an over-powerful capital, and weak other cities.

I'm not sure why you think that a Civ IV civic should have a place in Civ V, or why the capital needs a buff.

I like the Aqueducts finisher, and would prefer it to stay.

On higher levels (especially on Deity), you can build 3 cities, and conquer the capital of the neighbor as a 4th city. If you do this before you get the finisher, when you do get it, the free aqueduct goes to the former Deity AI capital, which in a sense gives you two really good cities (the two capitals), and another 2 fairly good ones.

That's what I mostly love about the new finisher. And of course, the Legalism fix was much needed.

I think it's a lot closer to being as good as Liberty now.

Settling your fourth city later on and having it get a free monument AND aqueduct really speeds up city growth i noticed in one of my last games as i'd not been able to settle my fourth city till later.

I'd say Liberty is still a bit better as free worker + settler + free great person is still extremely useful, though.

I'm most disappointed with Honor though.
Really could have used a buff IMHO, as it's still a lot tougher starting with Honor.
It definitely is powerful long term, but i find Civ5 is very much about starting strong, as late game benefits are far less vital.

I'm most disappointed with Honor though.
Really could have used a buff IMHO, as it's still a lot tougher starting with Honor.
It definitely is powerful long term, but i find Civ5 is very much about starting strong, as late game benefits are far less vital.

The culture bonus from Liberty doesn't work on puppets anymore,which is a indirect buff to Military caste . And Discipline has become far more powerful,now that cities are tougher to capture . Honor is quite fine as it is,but I'd like to see a minor buff,like a free soldier from the opener .

The finisher is a perfect compliment to Legalism. It is the change that made Tradition my first choice over Liberty. Now I usually skip Liberty and take Patronage instead.

Tradition has replaced Liberty as my opening SP tree. Taking Legalism first enables you to build archers or shrines rather than monuments. The other policies enable you to get four cities up and running fairly quickly while the free aqueduct finisher means that those cities will grow. ANy buffs would, in my opinion, make Tradition OP.

I'm the opposite. I tend to open with Liberty now and in vanilla I was a tradition opener. I am addicted to the tall Representation/Reformation combo now. It is insanely powerful.

I think it's a lot closer to being as good as Liberty now.

It's already superior. If they had keep Liberty the same, Tradition and Liberty would be pretty equal.

As Tabarnak said, Tradition is now quite superior. What I really like to see is a small buff to Honnor... Almost no one takes it now. Check many LP and you'll see that almost no one takes honnor.

As Tabarnak said, Tradition is now quite superior. What I really like to see is a small buff to Honnor... Almost no one takes it now. Check many LP and you'll see that almost no one takes honnor.

Thats not a problem of Honor being weak but that civplayers like build and go into space.

If u want just win the map on lvl below deity all you have to due is take 3 liv sp to expand - get army and then go honor tree down and kill all world.
Honror sp ARE strong just not when planing for a space race victory.

But obviously you have to fight if you want make use to a tree designed for fighting

Thx for the comment Tommynt.

So far, all my games in which I tried honnor as a starter, ended up with me knee deep in revolting citizens...:ar15:

A full war game (with my meager skills) are always a fight to get some happiness to keep on going. I tried razing, selling back the cities to no avail. :wallbash:
In this start set up, I must break my momentum and find only that the delays costs me a much needed technological advantage.

On the other hand, ignoring Honnor completely while going for domination works out quite fine. I'm almost constantly at war and even better, no unhappiness to plague me. I must be doing something wrong but don't know what it is yet... More games are needed.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom