Should war weariness be more impactful?

Stringer1313

Emperor
I just learned from reading the wiki entry that war weariness's negative amenity impact is capped for non-conquered cities, so that it can't exceed the amount of amenities it takes to keep a city content (which is 4). I had always wondered why WW only seemed to seriously affect my conquered cities.

Do people agree that this cap should be lifted or at raised? I.e., should war weariness have a greater negative impact? Right now I barely feel it (I have recently graduated to immortal) esp given how it's still pretty easy to get amenities.

Or, they should do another -1 across the board on amenities requirements - I love that they did that last time and would love it turned up another notch.

After 450 hrs, i Never knew what it did because nothing ever stood out.with that said, i think its fine as is. War has enough penalties to deal with already. If a civ conquers the city then let then deal with some war weary problem. Let their home cities remain fine.

Plus, if its a war culture going for a domination victory then they would be conditioned for war a little more than soft underbelly peace civs.

I think WW is a very useful lever to balance out the “undesirable” side of warmonger strategies- the “all in” rush. Even Genghis had to make sure the people had amenities. It’s not being used that way, but it exists.

If you’re trying to run a militarist society, there are policy cards that mitigate war weariness and they are pretty strong. War weariness is not a strong penalty though, so it doesn’t really matter. Which is perhaps the best way to express “this empire values the martial tradition.”

So yes, I find it’s quite weak. In civ5 that penalty could crush you pretty fast, just due to how stingy happiness was.

Yes. Amenity penalties can be largely ignored, if not mitigated entirely. Tying War Weariness to it ensured it too, would e condemned to irrelevance.

Answer: Should. Prolonged wars should be able to drag down an empire.

As many other things with the game, it should have been more impactful. Heck, it should have been the mechanic to soft limit wars instead of the extreme diplomatic warmongering penalty (and should have been more prominent in the interface). Ideally, wars should be more common, but work more in "bursts" instead of prolonged ones.

Without going one by one through each city, is there a way to even see cities that have been impacted by war weariness?
Yes. In the top right, on the far side under the game menu, is a button with what looks like a book and pencil which is called List of Reports. Go to City Status when you click on it and it shows War Weariness among other things.

Top Bottom