Should you be able to pillage own farms?

Should you be able to pillage your own farms?

• Yes, I've never liked farmers anyway.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, you heartless bastard.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why does food equal health in video games anyway?

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Art Morte

Prince
That 50 HP heal can be a pretty great advantage for the attacker. I was thinking that why should the defender be excluded from that benefit? In other words, should you be able to pillage your own farms? Maybe the city could get a -1 amenity penalty for x turns if you do that. What do you folks think?

my opinion is that pillaging a farm on a hostile tile should equal to resting a full turn on a friendly tile.

in a matter of supply, you already get full supply in city, 75% supply in friendly tile, 50% supply in neutral tile and 25% supply in hostile tile.

troops are "healed" due to availlability of supply so pillaging could bring 50% more supply resulting in healing 15 hitpoint instead of 5 hitpoints.
the cboost of health would be less important and yet quite usefull if well placed but could need some few other things to be change to balance it, like removing the "wall give automatically an army of the best range unit to the city for free".

if healing in hostile tile became more difficult war would need more preparation, tactic & strategy would be needed more and wall could be used to simply "stall the enemy" allowing you to bring some reinforcement from nearby cities.

That 50 HP heal can be a pretty great advantage for the attacker. I was thinking that why should the defender be excluded from that benefit? In other words, should you be able to pillage your own farms? Maybe the city could get a -1 amenity penalty for x turns if you do that. What do you folks think?
there's the problem of having a worker in the same tile as the defender, then you can pillage and repair in the same round for +50 heal/turn

Yes, but there should be extra limitations on it to make it more of a “last resort” measure than something you would want to do regularly. It should definitely increase your war weariness, especially in the city the farm belonged to as your own soldiers looting your own people for supplies would definitely make your people think (whether true or not) that things are going south in this war and you should sue for peace. With R&F it should also decrease loyalty in the city by a fair amount as the empire ostensibly there to protect them is now robbing them and leaving them to starve. Maybe raiding your own farm had a random chance to spawn rebels in adjacent hexes, with the likelihood going up the less injured your unit was (as the more the soldiers NEEDED the supplies the more forgivable their actions are) making it a sort of risk/reward choice of whether you wait until the unit is on the verge of death to heal up or top them off to keep them in the best fighting shape but increase your risk of rebels.

Just spitballing.

there's the problem of having a worker in the same tile as the defender, then you can pillage and repair in the same round for +50 heal/turn
That's a good point. And actually I was mistakenly thinking about the promotion 50hp heal when making the thread, farms heal you all the way.
Anyway, I do think farms offer a way too good advantage to the attacker.

i think that improvement should cost 1 gold maintenance and stock pile 20 in order to be effective.

when the tile improvement is pillaged it give the specific output (health for farms, culture for quarries, ...) and would bring the stockpile to 0.

then it would taken 20 turn to refill that stockpile and using a worker to refill it would cost money (whatever money is needed to completely refill it or 50% more than what is needed).

pillaging a tile would generate unrest (negative amenities) and could lead to revolt. ( like Returning Lurker pointed out).

NB a player having Bodica could use a few unit to pillage lands to start a revolt and then use Bodica ability to turn the revolted to his side.

we also need to think about scorched earth tactic, so i think the unrest could be halved when we have the scorched earth civic.

Honestly when they announced Scythia way back when I thought it would be a cool mechanic for them to have (pillage own tiles). Just instead of needing to be repaired should be needed to be rebuilt, thus using up builder charges (and therefore production). I like it increasing war weariness too.

Top Bottom