1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shrine and Era Modding Template

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by KingTux, Nov 27, 2005.

1. KingTux

KingTux Ruler of the Free World

Hello, all! I just got done with a painful painting out session and thought that what I did can be extremely useful for creating custom eras or new religions for Civ4. If anyone has noticed this by now, all shrine movies and era popups use the exact same background. I foolishly thought that painting it out would take no time at all and be relatively simple. So, most of it looks fairly decent, but after 15 hours or so, the quality went slightly downhill. However, it still should be very useable and save anyone wanting to do these A LOT OF TIME (if they can do this). So, the center is what I think is the ugliest, but then again, I'm not very good at making decisions in blank space about what should happen there, so the center is probably the worst part (it's always covered up anyways. That's what made it so hard, and take most of the time). However, even that shouldn't be too bad. I'm looking forward to impressions about how you guys think it looks.

If you end up using it, the files that this background is used in are found in assets/art/Movies/era and assets/art/Movies/religion. In each subfolder in the religion folder, it will be the one that looks similar to this: Shrine_Bud_Dwg_512.dds (that's for Buddism)

Here's a picture:

Here's the file:
    Blank.zip (120 KB)

NOTE: This is not meant to be added directly into the game. Do not ask for directions on how to install this mod. It's just a template for modders to work off of. Happy modding!

EDIT: BAGH! I just feel like screaming my head off as I was able to actually play Civ4 today. When starting the game I found a MUCH easier picture to paint out. I feel so disgusted and now feel like I should have waited to have the game running BEFORE doing this. Oh well, I guess. Maybe at some later date I'll paint this one out. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two. Firaxis JUST had to ruin my thunder here, as I thought that they had it covered heavily all the time.

2. Goombaz

Goombaz Warlord

Wow, that is extremely helpful! It could also be used as a stand-in for a movie for a new wonder, no?

I always got the impression that(no offense to the Firaxians, I know deadlines can be a *****) the temple/era pics were concept art from FMV's that never got finished. Again, I don't mean this as a dig, it just seems like something that was cut.

3. KingTux

Well, like I said above, I worked on the center last, and I don't feel like I did too good of a job there. However, I was starting to feel a little burned out and wanted to rush it out there as I didn't want to spend another hour or two on it. The way I figured it is that it's covered up anyways, so I didn't need to put extra attention on it. BTW, bonus points go to anyone who figures out which file I modified to do this ;). It should be REALLY hard to guess after what I did to it.

4. tsuyoshikentsu

tsuyoshikentsu Chieftain

Rennaisance Era. Or whichever one has the globe.

5. Sevo

Sevo Leaf on the Wind

Neeto...just what I was looking for...(twists ends of mustache and grins...)

(I don't really have a mustache...)

6. KingTux

Well, I made this before I had the game working, and, afterwards, found that I had spent all this time for nothing because I ended up finding a blank one in assets\art\interface\screens\progressscreen\000.dds. So, that's the reason that no one has replied to this for a LONG time. However, if you like this one better than that one, I'd take it as a complement.

7. jojoweb

jojoweb Chimpa-Z

Very Useful ! Thanks.