1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shuffle Plus

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Map Scripts' started by Darac, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Darac

Darac Warlord

Hey all.

Just letting you know that I've entered into the modding world and I've madea map script for generating truly random maps.

I didn't find Shuffle was random enough for me so I've made my own that chooses from a lot of the maps that come with G+K as well as randomises their settings. It can also randomise the size (a little bit) to make a map more crowded or sparse for a little more variety.

Maps you can get from this are:
    • Continents Plus
    • Pangaea Plus
    • Small Continents
    • Terra
    • Oval
    • Frontier
    • Lakes
    • Inland Sea

These maps are also available and can use any of the previous land forms to generate.
    • Sandstorm
    • Arborea
    • Rainforest

Finally, these two type can also be generated but the above three will not use these if they are chosen:
    Highlands
    Archipelago

The options it randomises are:
    • World age
    • Rain fall
    • Sea level
    • Resources
    • Size
    • Temperature

I've also exposed options to allow you to select specific options you would like to play or you can leave them set to random (the default value).

Finally there are also options to allow you to disable specific maps. Or choose a specific map.

Here's the link the the Civ Fanatics Forum Download File:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19534

Enjoy!

please leave your feedback and report any bugs you find.

------------

TODO
    Maps soon to be added to random selection:
    • Fractal
    • A Perfect World
    • Tiny Islands

Bugs to fix:
    • Balance resources so that they are not more/less dense when the map size option is set to either Cramped or Roomy.

2. Darac

Darac Warlord

Released! link above.

3. wuTz

wuTz Warlord

I will give this a try. Now I can play Continents Plus without the DLC?! :crazyeye:

The lua file has to go to the maps folder or is it possible somehow else to start this map? (on mod activated I can't find it in the setup of the game...)

4. Darac

Darac Warlord

Oh really? That's concerning. Umm you should be able to drop the map script into your Users/*username*/Documents/My Games/Civ5/Maps folder or where ever it is and you should be able to use it without loading the mod if it is in there.

I'll double check if it works when dumping it in the mods folder and activating it when i get home. No one else has mentioned that it's not working. But they possibly thought it was and just played with the normal Shuffle script. :/

Cheers,
    Darac

P.S. I don't know if it'll work properly without the DLC, I haven't tested that.

5. wuTz

wuTz Warlord

maybe it's because I'm using custom advanced setup by gedemon...anyways never mind, I just put it in the maps folder.

Do you know how it is when I select in the advanced options: random map. will it be one of the many maps or only one of the 4 standart from vanilla (i think it's pangäa, continents, small islands, earth)

Cause I like doing random maps, and if there is a chance to have your map scripts in the random maps it will be even more random... random :)

6. Darac

Darac Warlord

Unfortunately I could not figure out how to edit the maps used by the random map option. Instead my map scrip includes those maps except for earth which I don't believe is included in the random map option anyway.

The only other difference is that my script uses continents plus and pangaea plus instead of the originals.

7. zande

zande Chieftain

Could you please add fractal to the maps list? then it will be reaaly THE random script

8. Darac

Darac Warlord

Sure thing, it'll be in tomorrow.

9. wuTz

wuTz Warlord

There was an update in the workshop (v2), but I didn't see any changes?!

10. Darac

Darac Warlord

Version 2 corrected an install problem through steam workshop. The script itself didn't change. You'll have to resubscribe to it to get the change as I uploaded it as a new mod. I mistakenly hit the delete button thinking it would delete it from my local game, instead it removed it and all my subscribers from steam workshop.

11. cleaner

cleaner Warlord

Thanks a lot for the script, I prefer to use the random maps whenever I play. :goodjob:

I'm a bit unsure though about the "Random" function in the game. Does it only select from some of the possible map types? Or is there really a chance for any of the ones included?

12. Darac

Darac Warlord

Selecting random map in the map script drop down in the non advanced menu only chooses either Pangaea, continents or archipelago. The same is true for the original shuffle script. Hence why I've created this script.

13. cleaner

cleaner Warlord

I see, thanks for clearing that up. :) Does it select from all in the advanced setup though?

14. Darac

Darac Warlord

My shuffle plus script? No. Only the ones I've listed. There is no way to randomly select a map script and use that. I had to recreate all the scripts inside my own script to get it to work. The bonus to doing it this way though is I can mix and match scripts to get all new maps. Like a sandstorm lakes map for example.

If there are any maps you'd like added then simply request them here and when I get the time I'll add them in. When I get the chance I'm going to add Fractal and A Perfect World.

15. zande

zande Chieftain

I don't know if I'm asking too much but maybe you can add small continents and tiny islands too?

16. Darac

Darac Warlord

Small continents is already in there (see original post). I'll add tiny islands to the TODO list, personally I don't like tiny islands so I didn't add it.

17. zande

zande Chieftain

sorry, I already used your script but I missed it...

18. cleaner

cleaner Warlord

Sorry for replying so late. I meant the game-integrated random function. :) As in, if I choose the Advanced Setup menu and pick a "Random" map and size there, does it select from any and all possible?

I personally would like to have all possible ones available in your map script as well, so I'm happy about any you'll add. The more choices, the better. :)

Thank you very much for the script! :w00t:

19. Darac

Darac Warlord

As far as I'm aware the advanced random only selects between Continents, Pangaea and Archipelago as well.

20. cleaner

cleaner Warlord

:badcomp:
    In that case I definitely have to use your script from now on. :goodjob: