SHWH01 - Iroquois Tree Huggers

scoutsout

Minstrel Boy

Here's the segue:

Chief Seattle said:
Every part of the earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every meadow, every humming insect. All are holy in the memory and experience of my people.

We know the sap which courses through the trees as we know the blood that courses through our veins. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family.

The shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water, but the blood of our ancestors. If we sell you our land, you must remember that it is sacred. Each glossy reflection in the clear waters of the lakes tells of events and memories in the life of my people. The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father.

The rivers are our brothers. They quench our thirst. They carry our canoes and feed our children. So you must give the rivers the kindness that you would give any brother.

This we know: the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. All things are connected like the blood that unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

One thing we know: our God is also your God. The earth is precious to him and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its creator.

What will happen when the buffalo are all slaughtered? The wild horses tamed? What will happen when the secret corners of the forest are heavy with the scent of many men and the view of the ripe hills is blotted with talking wires? Where will the thicket be? Gone! Where will the eagle be? Gone! And what is to say goodbye to the swift pony and the hunt?

The end of living and the beginning of survival.​

Sorry Lurkers, but the roster for this one is already set. Names will be posted to the roster as the invited de-lurk.

Roster:
Sir Bugsy
gmaharriet
Whomp
Admiral Kutzov
scoutsout
SimpleMonkey

Game settings:

This game will be played on Monarch level as Iroquois. The usual victory conditions are enabled, Random Seed preserved, Cultural Conversions ON, Scientific Leaders OFF. We have 8 Randomly selected opponents set to Normal Agression.

Here's the start:

Our World:
Size: Standard
Landmass: Continents, 80% Water
Climate: Wet
Temperature: Warm
Barbarians: Raging

Here's the Tree-Hugger Variant:
  • No chopping forests.
  • No roading except to build our trade network (connect cities) and connect to resources (bonus resources may be roaded). Edit: This includes roading to other civs' borders (trade network, "future acquisitions, etc.)
  • Railroads are allowed on the existing road network. (Tree-huggers like high speed rail/mass transit...)
  • Any tile that doesn't have a resource must be "conserved", by leaving it in its natural state, or by planting trees on it.
  • "Agri-business" is out. No irrigating unless it's a food bonus tile. Edit: Tiles may be roaded and irrigated in order to "connect" these resources. We'll plant trees to mitigate the "damage" done by the "extra" roading/irrigating.
  • No mining unless the tile contains a resource (bonus, lux, or strategic).
  • Clearing Jungle and Marsh tiles IS allowed, provided it is done in accordance with our "Wetlands Mitigation Plan". For each tile cleared, we must plant one tile of forest.
  • No city improvements that enhance production and contribute to "global warming" are allowed. This means no factories, Offshore Platforms, Manufacturing Plants, or Coal plants. You can build Hoover Dam, but without factories, what's the point?
  • Commerce improvements that don't create pollution (markets, harbors) ARE allowed. Commerce improvements that create pollution (Commercial Docks, Airports) are not.
  • Upon the discovery of Engineering we've got to plant forests everywhere we reasonably can. We don't have to plant trees to the point that we restrict population growth, but we will eventually want trees all over the place.

Here's >>> The Save <<<.

Xxxxx checking in. :D

This sounds like a game of OCP to me. Would that be accurate?

Whomp said:
This sounds like a game of OCP to me. Would that be accurate?
Most likely...which has me wondering if I ought to roll a start with more land and less water...

Reporting for duty. :wavey:

BTW, what is "OCP"? :confused:

Optimal city placement. My thinking was it is more important to build cities near resources and luxs (optimal cities) since they can be mined and roaded. As well we'll need to avoid a lot of non workable tiles. A typical cxxc or cxxxc may not work real well here.

Okay - we've got the Admiral and Harriet on board... I thought at least one other would have checked in... since the invitation was a reply to a note from him. The top spot in the roster belongs to another left coast type...who tends to check in later... so it may be tomorrow until we actually get going.

What do you guys think about the 80% water factor, when a loose city placement is taken into account? On one hand, we should be able to found some coastal cities...which is good for commerce. OTOH... it may constrain our placement options even more...

Commander Bugs reporting for tree hugging duty. :salute:

I recommended to Scout that he take the first roll with random settings.

Sooo...That's our start. No going back now. Scout lead on.

Looks like we're all here. :clap:

Okay, the roster's set! Dang... I forgot to put something in the initial posts about RBCiv/LKTender 'house rules'. I don't think that'll be a problem with this crowd... even Igor avoids exploits.

@Bugs: Can I cajole/con/browbeat or otherwise impose on you to get us going with the first twenty?

Some of us were chatting on MSN about opening moves. AK suggested moving the worker before moving the settler. I was thinking about moving the settler north, because that looks like coast up there, and we may need the commerce from a coastal site. Some scouting curraughs couldn't hurt either. AK was thinking worker east or west. I like east a little better (if we move the worker) because then he could start roading towards the incense.

(Edit in paragraph above.)

I started an 80% water game on emperor last night. This should be interesting under this variant.

lurker's comment: This should be fun to lurk in. :D

If your start is near the northern end of the map, you can consider moving your settler west, onto the hill, so that curraghs will be going in the direction of the AIs, not around your continent first. ;)

OK, playing now.

I agree with the worker east move. We'll see what we get after that.

OK playing after I take my daughter out for driving practice. Fatherly duties come first.

Edit - BTW, what does SHWH stand for?

I see being coastal and having access to fresh water as good things. It doesn't look like anything does that unless the lower coastal tiles are saltwater, not fresh, or if we take the settler up north. If we do that, then we won't have an immediate goodie hut pop. At Monarch many good things can come from a goodie hut. I just remember that if we pop it before we have any military, we eliminate the possibility that it'll spew hostiles. We could pop with the worker immediatly and see what happens. That would give us a better idea what that southern water is. I dunno where we are as far as the world map goes, but a worker move west onto the hill would show more map. And leave him further away from where he'll likely need to go to work first. Hmmm, confused yet? :hmm: I am.

Gee, this thinking out loud is kinda fun. :crazyeye: Is this pretty much what you guys went over? What's the completely different plan that ignores all of the above? :lol:

Edit: Didn't see that Sir Bugs had already started playing. I will await developments.

Top Bottom