1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Siamese Keshik

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Luderhow, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Luderhow

Luderhow Chieftain

So I was playing as Babylon and Siam declares war on me O: which is A-okay because I was going preparing for that for a while. But as I was scoping out his army, I come across a Siamese Keshik (screenie below).. Currently, I think Siam is still at war with Mongolia... but anyways, my question is.. HOW can Siam mind control units? Does Siam's Elephant double over as a Dark Archon? o.o

Attached Files:

2. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Chieftain

You can receive other civ's UUs from City States.

3. kamex

kamex Emperor

Lets hope this is unintentional, and will be removed with a patch

4. vexing

vexing knows

i love being gifted a khan

5. LamaGT

LamaGT Emperor

i think it only applies to GP actually o.o

6. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I have never been gifted a unique unit ( except Khan)

7. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Chieftain

I like it. It's rare, and adds a little spice and a little extra reason to get those militaristic states. I have a feeling it only happens when another state gifts a CS the UU in the first place but I have no actual evidence for that.

8. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Why? It might be a bug. But it is definitely not gamebreaking and - to be honest - actually fun!

By the way: I reckon, only UUs of Civs existing in this very game are given. Can anybody affirm (or better: disprove) this?

9. Scam

Scam Chieftain

I saw a Chinese bowman in a game... was wondering about how that happened. Not sure if Babylon was in the game

10. Roto-Router

Roto-Router Chieftain

That could also result from an AI gifting a unit to another AI. I've never given or been given a unit by an AI (why would you gift a unit? there's no diplo bonus) but I guess it is possible. Almost impossible to verify though.

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

How often does this happen? I have never seen it. Great idea though!!!

12. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

They are definitely CS gifts. I've got a hoplite once (and was not playing greece, of course). But the greek were in the game as AI civ.

13. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Chieftain

No idea. I've seen it once, I think. But I rarely ally with Militaristic CSs

14. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

The game is coded in a way that is not meant to give you UUs from any civ. I believe the bug can happen when CS ownership changes.

15. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

See it like this:
    It is just the equivalent to the "Warägergarde" (sorry, I don't know the english name), which was given 988 AD by the vikings to the byzantine emperor. Take it as an well trained and highly respected special unit from an "exotic" country.

16. Roto-Router

Roto-Router Chieftain

"Varangian Guard" in English.

If CSs can't build UUs then it seems silly for them to be able to gift them. Makes the Unique Units not so unique if multiple civs can have them. Definitely a bug.

17. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

fighting a proxy war, say you've got a small great civ or a CS or two guarding your flanks. if that civ gets dow'd by the neighborhood bully then you might give them a few keshiks, ramaphants, bowmen, etc etc etc. btw, I've never seen a CS gift a UU other than a khan, though I typically go for maritimes and culturals unless there's a strong strategic reason for getting a militaristic one.

edit:mad: roto-router: I don't think that it's necessarily a bug even if you can get them from a CS. I've got well over 600 hours and have never seen it happen at all, so it can't be that common anyway. Plus, it's not exactly game-breaking to get a single keshik/ramaphant/tercio/etc etc etc, and odds are your next 3 gifted units would just be ****ing scouts anyway...