1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier and the 48-Hour Game

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Motherboard has posted a 23 minute long video feature of Sid Meier at a 48-hour game-making contest. The contest, titled "7th Annual Wolverine Soft 48 Hour Game Design Contest", took place at Sid Meier's alma mater University of Michigan and pits coders and designers against each other in a race to create a game in two days. Sid Meier participated in the contest and made a game called "Escape from Zombie Hotel!". In addition, he judged the games made by the student teams.

Thanks to Willowmound for posting about it.

2. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

and thus Civ5 is born:mischief:

3. Smarc_de_Parc

Smarc_de_Parc Chieftain

LOL haha

4. topsecret

topsecret Believer Supporter

:agree:
    :lol:

5. Swashbuckler.

Swashbuckler. Chieftain

Good one. :lol:

6. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

That was hilarious. Thanks for the vid TF!

7. strollen

strollen Warlord

I am just in awe about what polished game Sid created in 48 hours, it was clearly better than any of the kids games.

8. Challs

Challs Warlord

Great competition. Looked like some very original games. Could be fun playing Sid´s game :lol: Well deserved first place. Looked like they put a lot of effort into design and effects.

9. MrBanana

MrBanana Prince

What time is Sid's game at? COuld find that part of the video, and too lazy to watch the whole thing.

10. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Prince

I really like how down to earth he is. He really enjoys what he's doing, you can see that just by looking at how he's busy with the whole thing, no audio needed. If you enjoy what you're doing and can make a good living off it... very nice indeed! What more can you wish for in a job, right? Jealous! :)

I'm sure the Sid Meier tag on the games is a PR choice and not his choice. Then again if my name would sell stuff... you can be sure I would use it :)

Am I wrong in comparing him a bit to Brad Wardell in his outlook on gamedesign? These guys seem to enjoy the success the job brings them... but the most important thing to them is still being able to design games for a living.

Man, I would give a lot to be on such a 48-hours gamedesign event with a great game designer like Sid!

11. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

The video makes it seem like Sid created that entire game in 48 hours, but he was almost certainly using a premade engine and was definitely using premade models / animations. What he did was very impressive nonetheless, but it's very lame in my opinion that they never stated this in the video, it does give the wrong impression.

12. QwertyKey

QwertyKey Warlord

Heh, I go there, and I've met some of the people in that video. Didn't see Sid Meier though.